The Avengers

I'll pop along to my local Cineworld (eww) in between studying sessions. Just going for 2D because my limited experiences with 3D were not fun at all. Not even a 3D IMAX showing can entice me.

So I saw it:

I won’t spoil, just say the following:

Iron Man and Hulk were AWESOME, though everybody had their moments, even Fury and Hawkeye, Stark even had a couple of moments that cut through his armour and bared his serious side , not to mention his scene with Pepper was very well done, especially seeing as I felt their relationship seemed kind of forced at the end of IM2.

Widow was surprisingly well-developed, especially her scene with Loki, as was Banner, I think Cap could’ve used a few more crowning moments of awesome but character wise he was excellent, while Thor I think had the opposite problem; lots of great action sequences but less good character moments. He was also more serious than in Thor, I understand he’s no longer the arrogant braggart he once was but compared to the rest of the cast being so funny he seems a tad stony-faced.

Fury was just as morally grey as Ultimate Fury from the comics which was magnificent and Coulson rocked.

Also the film is funny as hell, it’s my favourite of all the Marvel films thus far for sure, the film also features the single greatest tracking shot in the history of cinema. That’s all I’ll say for now. It rocked.

Just got back and I enjoyed that a lot more than I thought I would. I was expecting it to not live up to the hype, but I must admit it actually help up pretty well. Characters wise I was pleased, although, like Sparrow said, Thor was a bit stony faced. I found Captain America far too serious and really dull. I kind of felt sorry for CA, Hawkeye and Black Widow since during the action scenes they had to take on minions whilst Ironman, Hulk and Thor stole the show and had more important things to do.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Also the film is funny as hell, it’s my favourite of all the Marvel films thus far for sure
I cracked up at the part where Captain America was giving orders, turned to Hulk and said, "Hulk? Smash". Also the part where Hulk grabbed Loki and smashed him a good amount had me and the entire audience in stitches. Tony was hilarious as always. I did feel like a dork being the only person in the audience laughing at the Stan Lee cameo.

Last edited by a moderator:
MaxonTreik said:
Just got back and I enjoyed that a lot more than I thought I would. I was expecting it to not live up to the hype, but I must admit it actually help up pretty well. Characters wise I was pleased, although, like Sparrow said, Thor was a bit stony faced. I found Captain America far too serious and really dull. I kind of felt sorry for CA, Hawkeye and Black Widow since during the action scenes they had to take on minions whilst Ironman, Hulk and Thor stole the show and had more important things to do.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Also the film is funny as hell, it’s my favourite of all the Marvel films thus far for sure
I cracked up at the part where Captain America was giving orders, turned to Hulk and said, "Hulk? Smash". Also the part where Hulk grabbed Loki and smashed him a good amount had me and the entire audience in stitches. Tony was hilarious as always. I did feel like a dork being the only person in the audience laughing at the Stan Lee cameo.

Yeah I feel like Cap should've had one major confrontation scene, I mean he even lost in the one-on-one against Loki near the start =/, he's always been one for taking on the impossible so I think he should've done something big, he is Captain America after all. I guess his priority was saving lives rather than fighting though, which is pure Cap so I guess I can forgive it.

Managed to find a couple of people who were going early enough today for me to see it before I had to leave for work, and very glad I did as the film is excellent.

Hulk got the best funnies (jabbing Thor in the head sending him flying off-screen gets my biggest thumbs up) and Hawkeye the best bad-ass moments, I thought, but I agree that the ensemble was handled and balanced very well overall.

I saw The Avengers last night. Really awesome film. I loved how there was fantastic comedy (Galaga anyone? =3), action, suspense and everyone really had their moments. Also, I could honestly feel the sense of dread towards the end - it honestly felt like a real battle where anything could happen (which so few films are able to emulate). Also, the 3D was really good (especially considering it was a post-production job). I have to give huge props for the guy who played Bruce Banner - he actually played both the normal Banner and the Hulk, which was really awesome.

Only time I've seen a movie in the cinema where the audience has erupted in laughter at the funny moments.

Some awesomeness came from the cinema itself though. Before the movie started, there was some commotion from some other customers, where one stole another one's shoes and walked down to the other end of the cinema, shouting that they'd only return them if the only guy went down on his knees before asking the audience if he should - cue a massive show of hands and cheering when he did get on his knees and beg.

I would just mention one thing that annoyed me and that was the insta-kill of all the Chitauri when the nuke hit their mothership I understand WHY it was done, but I feel like it was a bit of a cheap shot and was a bit too Independence Day/ Phantom Menace.

I was glad they had the shot of people pinning rememberance posters/ notes to a board in the aftermath. It's incredibly rare for an action film like this to acknowledge that people actually die in these big city-wide blowouts so it being addressed in such a sbtle way that avoided the cliché lingering shots of a ruined city/ dead bodies was good to see.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
I would just mention one thing that annoyed me and that was the insta-kill of all the Chitauri when the nuke hit their mothership I understand WHY it was done, but I feel like it was a bit of a cheap shot and was a bit too Independence Day/ Phantom Menace.

I was glad they had the shot of people pinning rememberance posters/ notes to a board in the aftermath. It's incredibly rare for an action film like this to acknowledge that people actually die in these big city-wide blowouts so it being addressed in such a sbtle way that avoided the cliché lingering shots of a ruined city/ dead bodies was good to see.
America just loves nukes. You can't defeat a single enemy without nukes (apparently).

Yeah, one thing I loved about this film was it wasn't just "Heroes come in and kick bad guy butt!", it actually had a real sense of war. I think every hero had their "Oh ****..." moment during it.

Joshawott said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:

America just loves nukes. You can't defeat a single enemy without nukes (apparently).

Yeah, one thing I loved about this film was it wasn't just "Heroes come in and kick bad guy butt!", it actually had a real sense of war. I think every hero had their "Oh ****..." moment during it.

Oh, sorry I wasn't clear it wasn't the nuke I had a problem with (though I agree it's overused =P) I mean when the mothership blew up all the Chitauri just up and died. That could've been handled better... I mean why did they die? They were organic, even the Leviathans, was the ship linked to life support or something or what? (one took of their mask during the battle so surely that can't be it...)

But I appreciate that it would've been awkward to shoehorn an explanation in and it was clear that the Avengers didn't know that would happen and that closing the portal was the priority.

They didn't look organic to me. Besides, even if they were, they come from a different world. For all we know that mothership was needed to keep them alive in our world.

MaxonTreik said:
They didn't look organic to me. Besides, even if they were, they come from a different world. For all we know that mothership was needed to keep them alive in our world.

Didn't you see the bit where one removed its mask? They definitely looked partly organic at least.

The part in question (it was in one of the trailers too)

chitauri.jpg

But yeah, going over the scene in my mind I seem to remember they had weird electrical devices on them, which may have been life support or something, or augmentations necessary for survival.

Yeah, one question I had during the last part of the film is "Are they organic or not?" but I just shrugged and thought "Well, they're being killed anyway, so doesn't matter" xD.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Yeah, as the movie was going through it really looked like they were going out of their way to show an overly "clean" battle, so it was nice to see that recognized in the end.

ilmaestro said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Yeah, as the movie was going through it really looked like they were going out of their way to show an overly "clean" battle, so it was nice to see that recognized in the end.

Agreed, it was not only a good way of going "hey people did die in this" but also without taking time away from the Avengers. I also liked Harry Dean Stanton (I think that was him) saying "Are you an alien?" :p Surely you should know Harry lol.

edit: I also forgot that the word quim was used in the film lol. And looking at the bbfc rating it seems they didn't even notice... I guess because hardly anyone knows what it means (I had to look it up myself) but still, considering the first reaction of people when they don't know a word is to look it up, I wonder how they got away with it :p

Saw this yesterday and like a lot of people here I thought it was amazing. I had no idea there would be so much comedy packed into it though, which was unexpected, but worked really well. I also saw it in 3D and it felt a lot more convincing than some other 3D movies I've seen.

The nuke scene was a little cheap, and the Chitauri stuff could've been developed as well, they just seemed a bit of a throwaway element, but like Sparrow said, the way the movie was set up would make it very difficult to give an explanation, and seeing how no one would really know what would happen, it makes sense.

I think we could expect a sequel to be in the works if there isn't already one in the pipeline.

memorium said:
Saw this yesterday and like a lot of people here I thought it was amazing. I had no idea there would be so much comedy packed into it though, which was unexpected, but worked really well. I also saw it in 3D and it felt a lot more convincing than some other 3D movies I've seen.

The nuke scene was a little cheap, and the Chitauri stuff could've been developed as well, they just seemed a bit of a throwaway element, but like Sparrow said, the way the movie was set up would make it very difficult to give an explanation, and seeing how no one would really know what would happen, it makes sense.

I think we could expect a sequel to be in the works if there isn't already one in the pipeline.

The 3D wasn't bad, but to be honest I just forgot it was there after a while, I was too caught up in the film to notice except in the really obvious "this scene is here to show 3D" scene. I don't mean any popping out the screen scenes, ones like the shot through a broken car window or in a bike's wing mirror (both of which were pretty awkward and I don't really understand why they were done...

It's still not about 3D movies for me, so I just went 2D. I am not convinced of the benefit yet.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
I also liked Harry Dean Stanton (I think that was him) saying "Are you an alien?" :p Surely you should know Harry lol.
Haha. :)

As soon as the "mewling quim" was pulled out, I immediately said to my buddy "best insult to get in a mainstream film EVER", very surprised they slipped it in there.

As far as the Chitauri go, I largely agree about the vagueness of... things. I have read basically zero Ultimate universe comics, so I have started by reading the original run of The Ultimates to get more of a feel for it, since the Marvel Cinematic Universe stuff seems to be leaning increasingly far in that direction.

ilmaestro said:
It's still not about 3D movies for me, so I just went 2D. I am not convinced of the benefit yet.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
I also liked Harry Dean Stanton (I think that was him) saying "Are you an alien?" :p Surely you should know Harry lol.
Haha. :)

As soon as the "mewling quim" was pulled out, I immediately said to my buddy "best insult to get in a mainstream film EVER", very surprised they slipped it in there.

As far as the Chitauri go, I largely agree about the vagueness of... things. I have read basically zero Ultimate universe comics, so I have started by reading the original run of The Ultimates to get more of a feel for it, since the Marvel Cinematic Universe stuff seems to be leaning increasingly far in that direction.

In a DISNEY film no less =P (don't be fooled by the Paramount logo, they get the credit, but it's Disney's baby) I heard Hiddleston on the radio talking about it yesterday and it seems like people let it go because they didn't know what it meant. As I mentioned, seems the BBFC was the same =P

And yeah, 3D wasn't my choice, when I booked my tickets, there was ONLY 3D showings opening night, but as it got closer to the day they had 2D ones as well, which miffed me no end, but me and my friends had already booked 3D tickets. I really don't like 3D because it makes the film darker, adds little and is more expensive so I was pretty angry about essentially being tricked into getting 3D tickets...

I can imagine Yankees not knowing, but it's pretty surprising that so many British people would miss it!

Bad situation about the 3D showings. :-/

I'd never heard the word in my life! Is it regional or am I just old and past it?

Sort of tempted to watch the film on a flight or something one day with all of this positive buzz :s

R

Back