The Avengers

Jaymii

Baka Ranger
So I was curious if anyone else has been reading about all the Marvel idiocy recently. It all started with Marvel issuing a statement about Edward Norton's departure. Click here and here. Kevin Feige, the Marvel Movie Guy said this:

We have made the decision to not bring Ed Norton back to portray the title role of Bruce Banner in the Avengers. Our decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members. The Avengers demands players who thrive working as part of an ensemble, as evidenced by Robert, Chris H, Chris E, Sam, Scarlett, and all of our talented casts. We are looking to announce a name actor who fulfills these requirements, and is passionate about the iconic role in the coming weeks.

First and foremost, I do understand why Marvel would want to rid Norton. His re-writes, delays and everything cost The Incredible Hulk quite a bit and in the end, got mostly edited out anyway. However, the way Feige presented them facts is nothing but unprofessional, and Norton's agency picked up on it - saying:

This offensive statement from Kevin Feige at Marvel is a purposefully misleading, inappropriate attempt to paint our client in a negative light. Here are the facts: two months ago, Kevin called me and said he wanted Edward to reprise the role of Bruce Banner in The Avengers. He told me it would be his fantasy to bring Edward on stage with the rest of the cast at ComiCon and make it the event of the convention. When I said that Edward was definitely open to this idea, Kevin was very excited and we agreed that Edward should meet with Joss Whedon to discuss the project. Edward and Joss had a very good meeting (confirmed by Feige to me) at which Edward said he was enthusiastic at the prospect of being a part of the ensemble cast. Marvel subsequently made him a financial offer to be in the film and both sides started negotiating in good faith. This past Wednesday, after several weeks of civil, uncontentious discussions, but before we had come to terms on a deal, a representative from Marvel called to say they had decided to go in another direction with the part. This seemed to us to be a financial decision but, whatever the case, it is completely their prerogative, and we accepted their decision with no hard feelings.
Now that is how a formal letter should be done.

The fact that ComicCon is in two weeks and its going to begin with negative press is nothing short of disastrous for Marvel, to be honest. They need some proper PR people to sort it out. The person, oddly enough, expected to be the next Bruce (according to Chud) is Joaquin Phoenix. That makes it a bit weirder, since then it surely is about money and not egos. And it being about money isn't terribly surprising since Marvel love to lowball (as confirmed by them almost losing Favreau, Sam Jackson, Rourke and losing completely Terrence Howard).

This isn't really an avengers topic, more "ed norton is out" topic.

Anyways, I'm sad to see him go, discontinuity annoys me, but I have faith an equally good/ better replacement will be chosen. I'm surprised that Norton can afford to go so high if it is money prices, outside of Fight Club, American History X and TIH he hasn't had all that many big films.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
This isn't really an avengers topic, more "ed norton is out" topic.
Yeah, but I figure there's going to be a lot of this type of production-y stuff until 2012, so I might as well go short and sweet with the title. Norton has responded in a delightful manner anyway - here!

I liked norton as banner, i thought he did a good job and the film in generally had managed to erase the horrible horrible Hulk movie. Still looking forward to the Avengers especially with Joss in charge. Although first let's see how the Thor and Captain America movies pan out...I know its unrelated to the topic at hand but i'm also looking forward to the Green Lantern

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EbrTO4RRF0U&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1?rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EbrTO4RRF0U&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1?rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="300"></embed></object>

(Though I also like this footage. Not screen-recorded, but not as good sound.)

"Is that one of Starks?"
"I dunno, he never tells me anything."

Thor looks epic, in the proper definition of the word.

I'm going next Saturday. I'm expecting it to be the better of the marvel movies this year. Cap hasn't thrilled me yet. More excited by Transformers 3 and Pirates 4 before Cap.

Not sure about Pirates 3, it could be okay but it's not one I'll be lining up to see opening day. I actually thought the Captain trailers were far more successful than the Thor ones in conveying what it's all about, and the period setting looks lovely; the dialogue seems less ham-fisted it too ("How do you feel?" "Taller").

I'm not 'excited' for Transformers 3, but certainly interested due to this write up. As good as it might be, I'm unsure whether I physically can sit through another couple hours of vague metal parts hitting against one another.

Jaymii said:
Not sure about Pirates 3, it could be okay but it's not one I'll be lining up to see opening day. I actually thought the Captain trailers were far more successful than the Thor ones in conveying what it's all about, and the period setting looks lovely; the dialogue seems less ham-fisted it too ("How do you feel?" "Taller").

I'm not 'excited' for Transformers 3, but certainly interested due to this write up. As good as it might be, I'm unsure whether I physically can sit through another couple hours of vague metal parts hitting against one another.

Am I seriously the ONLY person in the world who thinks the cap trailers (while good) are nothing special. Nothing in them makes me go "HOLY ****! AWESOME." Looks like a fairly standard hero movie, competently put together. Thor on the other hand, to me, looks like it has potential to be the next Iron Man (probably not AS successful, but certainly on te high end of adaptations).

But that's just me. Either way, as far as I'm concerned they're just Avenger stepping stones. Neither character is a favourite of mine, indeed I find their classic marvel versions rather boring (though I dig Ultimates Cap and Thor), but I appreciate what marvel is doing in putting together the big picture.

Pirates I'm keen to see just cos I love Jack Sparrow and I'm not expecting much plot-wise from TF3, just a load of action. TF2 delivered on that for me so I have no doubt 3 will be even bigger.

To save the Thor discussion carrying on in the other thread, I'll just comment on the 3D thing here. I saw it again in a local theatre and it indeed was a bit dark (or took a while to get used too). Unless cinemas are completely and utterly equipped to screen stuff in 3D - they really shouldn't.

Can't believe how fast the time went this time either. Again, the darkness thing took a bit to get used to so I was uneasy for a bit but then... it was over. Hemsworth is amazing.

The post-credit tag still remains intriguing, and... I forgot to mention the Hawkeye cameo. Nice.

Ladies and gentlemen:

The Avengers

tumblr_lmsdl1UJLe1ql5i2ao1_1280.jpg

I came

This is official promo art, showing new costumes for Cap and Iron Man (return to the circle arc reactor, I wonder why =/)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's advertisers art, or something. Not keen myself.

(In case people didn't know, the stinger at the end of Thor was directed by Joss. I imagine the same applies for Cap'n.)

Back