The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

Yes this was the funding goal and I'm amazed and fortunate I was able to hit it so quickly, I figured it would takes me far far longer.

I'm using a US Po Box that I've used before. Sentai also will accept payments from overseas but they just won't ship overseas. I've bought from Sentai sales before, for example I got the Gatchaman II & F sets from their Black Friday Sale.

I can think of many many things id rather spend $800 on. Its a massive rip off and i hope the entire project is a disaster for Sentai.

I totally am with you many ways. But even released as single cour 12 eps releases at $40 each after normal discounts it adds up to $560 (14 in total) add another $60 for the 3 movies we're at $620. So $180 premium for the packaging is alot but not unheard of. It's still a better deal than any of the Aniplex sets. It works out at <$5 an episode. Most Aniplex titles are $15> an episode.

Would I have preferred to buy it in 4 sets or 14 sets? yes I would but the Japan side had other ideas and while I don't take their threat of now or never that seriously I decided that I wanted it and if I could raise the money it'd be worth it. At the very least the packaging is a one time thing.

I totally am with you many ways. But even released as single cour 12 eps releases at $40 each after normal discounts it adds up to $560 (14 in total) add another $60 for the 3 movies we're at $620. So $180 premium for the packaging is alot but not unheard of. It's still a better deal than any of the Aniplex sets. It works out at <$5 an episode. Most Aniplex titles are $15> an episode.

Would I have preferred to buy it in 4 sets or 14 sets? yes I would but the Japan side had other ideas and while I don't take their threat of now or never that seriously I decided that I wanted it and if I could raise the money it'd be worth it. At the very least the packaging is a one time thing.

I will come out and risk being shamed for buying stuff with my own money to say that I bought it too as soon as I got myself sorted out with a forwarding option (actually twice, but that was an accident and Sentai kindly cancelled the extra and refunded me >_<). If it had been split into four sets and released more slowly as with Aniplex premium editions I'd have bought it without question, so the fact that it was given an annoying all-in-one release didn't affect my decision. It just means that I'll be holding back on mediocre shows for a while. Which is fine, because LotGH is a more important release to me.

If a cheap version comes out for other people later, we contributed to their future happiness and more people get to buy a show which has been held back from release in English for decades already. It's all good. I felt more annoyed when Sentai released Haikyu!! as a LE after I'd already bought the SE, since I couldn't have anticipated that outcome.

I doubt this release is going to be a sales disaster because it's the only English-equipped option in the world. If they hadn't limited it to their store it would probably have sold through half the allocation already; it's sold more than 20% as-is even with the huge unexpected financial commitment. I know at least five people in the UK have ordered theirs just from posts like yours and mine and it's outrageously costly from our perspective, but the BBFC costs alone would be over £30k and it wouldn't sell in reasonable numbers here. For those who want the show and have the money available, it's not unlikely we will pay.

R

Back