The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

Stuart-says-yes said:
More likely this weeabooism is pressure from fans to stick to the original names of things than translate it and give it a weaker sounding name.

Viz Media have a habit of changing stuff if they translate it, eg in hitman Reborn Dying will becomes Deathsperation, not that I personally mind but it seems to bother other fans. Or possibly its a request from the licensor, not to change the names.

Unless they start using words like "Baka" or "Onee-chan", I wouldn't let it bother you.
The general rule in English (at least formaly, and most anime is in a formal setting (school)) is to never change name order or honourifics, leave them in native language. If the character is Japanese then use Eastern name order + honourifics. Try dealing with something like Marimite without leaving them all in; it uses French and Japanese honourifics/ pronouns. The only time you should be touching them is when the setting is entirely Western (e.g FMA, and you'd still leave the chinese characters alone).

Oneechan is fine being changed, if not an honourific. When it's being used for characters that aren't the speakers elder sister it causes problems.

Baka is inexcusable.
Not sure about attack names etc. as they tend to be proper nouns.

Sora in AIR being changes to Sky in English I find very annoying as they're translating a proper noun: would be equivalent to calling all characters named Sakura Cherry.

Urusei Yatsura bundle 4 from Right Stuf. I didn't want to buy this right now but the series going out of print forced my hand. Oh well, it's more UY, and I'm pretty excited about that. Bundle 5 next month.

My pre-order for "Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood" Volume 3 was dispatched by HMV earlier today.

EDIT: Arrived, but the little clip holding the first disc in had snapped. Have messaged Manga UK asking for a replacement blank case (as the discs look fine).

On the same day/morning I decided to look at AUKN again, Secondspin emailed me about their first 20% off free shipping code in months. Yay?

'Only' made four orders, this time. Cleared them out many times over and have more than enough anime to be getting on with. Aside from Bubblegum, planned on ordering everything else in advance.

Orders:

Bubblegum Crisis [Remastered Edition] [4 Discs]
Used DVD - Price: $27.19

Marmalade Boy: Ultimate Scrapbook, Vol. 4 [3 Discs]
Used DVD - Price: $15.99

Princess Nine, Vol. 1: First Inning
Used DVD - Price: $3.99

Princess Nine, Vol. 4: Strike Zone!
Used DVD - Price: $3.19

Princess Nine, Vol. 5: Bases Loaded!

Total Bought: $27.16

Princess Nine, Vol. 3: Triple Play!
Used DVD - Price: $6.39

Maison Ikkoku Collector's Box Set, Vol. 1 [3 Discs]
Used DVD - Price: $21.59

Total Bought: $27.98

Maison Ikkoku Collector's Box Set, Vol. 3 [3 Discs]
Used DVD - Price: $21.59

Princess Nine, Vol. 6: Grand Slam!

Picked up the first You're Under Arrest DVD box set from Shecond Shpin. With discounts and free shipping it totalled under £12 (and there's one left, if anyone's interested). Getting the rest may prove a tad more difficult, or at least more expensive.

Some region 1 preorders,

Wagnaria!! Complete Box Set (S) Premium Edition
Kanokon - The Girl Who Cried Fox (Complete Series)
Needless - Collection 2 (Region A Blu-ray)

Blue Seed Complete Collection
Planetes Complete Collection
Banner of the Stars Complete Collection(Anime Legends)
Banner of the Stars II Complete Collection(Anime Legends)

Doraemon666 said:

Where did you get the Blue Seed Collection if I may ask & how much did it cost? Does it include the 3 episode OVA series as well?

mangaman74 said:
Doraemon666 said:

Where did you get the Blue Seed Collection if I may ask & how much did it cost? Does it include the 3 episode OVA series as well?
I got it from United Publications for £20.40,it does not include the ova.http://www.up1.co.uk/Details/B1285

Back