The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

They just show well remind me how America focused the western anime industry is as being forced to pay $30+ For international shipping seems to be accepted.

To be fair to them, the idea is to avoid customs charges by bulk shipping them to Europe first and then on to the end customers from within the EU, but at $30 I'm not certain it's actually any better than just sending by regular mail and chancing the charges. 20% of $90 is $18, about £14.80.

Yeah, without bulk shipping prices, it now costs $35 just to ship a single Blu-ray release from the US to the UK using the Postal Service's international shipping, and via UPS or Fedex it is well over $50 - so direct international shipping for Robert may be even more costly than bulk shipping the lot.

Fair enough on the participation front, but I'm no longer so sure of the "may otherwise not get made" part any more - AnimEigo have surely gauged and captured their market for retro anime on Blu-ray now given how massively successful all their Sonoda show Kickstarters have been, I'm not sure their new releases really all need to be done that way any more.

Well, as I said, I was referring to anime Kickstarters in general, not just Robert's AnimEigo titles.

Last edited:
To be fair to them, the idea is to avoid customs charges by bulk shipping them to Europe first and then on to the end customers from within the EU, but at $30 I'm not certain it's actually any better than just sending by regular mail and chancing the charges. 20% of $90 is $18, about £14.80.
Oct 31st is coming so...

Yeah, without bulk shipping prices, it now costs $35 just to ship a single Blu-ray release from the US to the UK using the Postal Service's international shipping, and via UPS or Fedex it is well over $50 - so direct international shipping for Robert may be even more costly than bulk shipping the lot.
That's... Interesting. I don't import nearly as much as I used to (I remember a lot of stuff in years past coming in those standard USPS card envelopes, I wish I still had one around with stamps on) but I haven't noticed prices go up that much. I mean I just bought a single blu-ray from the US and the entire cost including postage was only $16, so unless the seller is willing to operate at a loss of $19 on that sale I'm not sure how they're managing it. There's other shipping options, presumably?

If I ship USPS - Priority Mail International® DVD Flat Rate priced box costs $36.70 to the UK - First Class international is $24.00. The last time I sent a small package with two Blu-ray cases in it using First Class International, about a year ago, it cost me about $35. So still not cheap. I think it costs a bit less shipping the opposite way, from UK to the US.

Last edited:
Alita: Mars chronicle 1-4. Managed to get them for £32 odd, 7 and 8 are only pre orders at the moment. Amazon, so they’ll all be here tomorrow!

Did try to read it on kindle unlimited but it would only let me read the first volume

Next up on the collection haul is...

d5cCORa.gif

Chivalry of a Failed Knight
Limited Edition Blu-ray & DVD

So this show has been on my radar for years and I wanted to own the Sentai limited edition ever since it was announced. Much like Beyond the Boundary and a few other titles, the SRP was pretty high which meant that the discounted price was always steep so in general, it would cost a lot. Out of nowhere, Rightstuf does a Sentai Flash sale that basically offers prices similarly to Sentai's very own sale on their shop which meant that the deals were pretty good for once. Given there was no deadline mentioned (and the 'Flash' name in the title) I decided to order this release now.

In terms of the Sentai Filmworks LEs, that is pretty much it. I am interested in the Elfen Lied steelbook release but I already own the show so it's not a big priority at this point.​

Love Live! Sunshine!!: Season 2 at the Belgian Archonia web store (in fact the last copy they had). Well ordered this before at UP1USA but they cancelled it this week, as there's no more stock ... at RightStuf I guess. Seems this one is OOP.

Castle of Cagliostro
My Neighbors The Yamadas
Pom Poko

Ghibli collection complete once I've got these! Now to actually get round to watching most of em! Only seen 6/22 so far. :oops:

Castle of Cagliostro is such a beautiful movie. One of my all time favourites and the soundtrack is simply perfect !
I remember that I watched a double feature of Castle of Cagliostro and Goemons Blood spray in Kawasaki / Toho Cinema. It was during the 50th anniversary of Lupin. They actually showed Cagliostro in a 4D cinema, which means moving seats, water spraying when a water scene is happening and an air valve to simulate bullets flying through the air. It sure sounds fun but due to the fact that there is a great car chase right at the beginning of the movie, those seats were acting so crazy that I almost had to leave the cinema due to sickness. -.-
If anyone happens to be around during anime anniversaries - always have a look out for those special events!!

I'm just going by what was originally released in the matching Japanese digipak singles series. There's 23 movies that have been released in those nice magnetic-closure digipaks; this was the first Studio Ghibli set I started and completed collecting. Actually there's 24 releases, but the one is just a double-feature duplicate of Totoro and Grave. Ok on excluding Cagliostro from your count, I just thought since you were listing it in your post you were including that one... 👌

24jpghibli.jpg

Last edited:
Pokémon - Indigo League on Blu-ray, only the first 52 episodes, but it's the limited edition, and only 15 canadian dollar on Amazon.ca.
Thanks for the heads up it comes to less than £20 though it’s at “usually dispatched within one or two months” so may take a bit to dispatch. Rather tempted.

Back