The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

Just Passing Through said:
Mangaranga said:
Got Penguindrum Blu-ray winging its way over here from Australia. S'only £50
For one part I'll assume? £50 for a crappy 1080i release?
I never regret my purchases (even expensive ones like AoA releases), but Penguindrum is an exception.
I sincerely regret paying every penny of the £40.64 I did for Part 1 of Penguindrum. I'll get the BD rips at some point so I can actually watch it.

No, Siren Visual haven't released it as a complete collection yet. Probably will next year though. I got them from Devoted DVD for about £23 each, with about £7 postage.

And it turns out that it's not a crappy 1080i release. It's a 'better than Sentai's crappy 1080i' 1080i release. Siren Visual apparently did a new encode of the show, upping the bitrate, and apparently dealing with Sentai's crappy video issues. The price was having the dub in Dolby Digital only, which I can live with as a sub fan. It's the hopefully fixed video, and the obvious fact that it's region B, that convinced me to plump for this. Oh, and decent subtitling! I'll actually find out what the show is about.

Then I'm going skeet shooting with those Khazi cow chips in DVD form. Bunch of incompetents!

These came through today. Just five days from dispatch to arrival. Parts 1 and 2, two discs apiece. Siren have opted for all dual layer discs with six episodes on each, so there shouldn't be any compression issues. I had a quick play of them and they certainly look pretty and HD and all, although you can tell it's not a progressive transfer. Subs and signs are all there, although Siren don't do anything fancy with the fonts or overlay the original text. Signs are either at the top or at the bottom with the subtitles. The songs are subtitled. All of the extras are on the final disc.

If you hate the Australian ratings logos, the sleeves are reversible. Maybe this time I can enjoy the show, instead of swearing at Khazi's ineptitude everytime on screen text goes by untranslated on their DVDs

Subs and signs are all there, although Siren don't do anything fancy with the fonts or overlay the original text. Signs are either at the top or at the bottom with the subtitles. The songs are subtitled. All of the extras are on the final disc.
Are the subtitles white? I believe the only other release I have with Siren's fingerprints on it is MVM's Welcome to the NHK, which has nice small white subtitles.

Sold, in any case. My copies were sent today. I'm not thrilled with 1080i but the price is good and it sounds as though the discs are free of much of the crap Sentai's are saddled with (and let's not even talk about Kaze's DVD release).

If you hate the Australian ratings logos, the sleeves are reversible.
Someone at the Fandom Post forums posted the reverse cover of part 1. They'd left the title off the spine and all the logos on it ^_^;

Also ordered the Japanese/International 5cm Per Second Blu-ray. Since it's coming from YesAsia, it'll no doubt join Garden of Words (4 weeks and counting from DVD Pacific) in international shipping Hell. Big thanks to the two forumites responsible for my wallet being almost a hundred quid lighter than it was last week :thumb:

fabricatedlunatic said:
Sold, in any case. My copies were sent today. I'm not thrilled with 1080i but the price is good and it sounds as though the discs are free of much of the crap Sentai's are saddled with (and let's not even talk about Kaze's DVD release).
And just when I go to look at the site both parts are no longer available :/

fabricatedlunatic said:
Are the subtitles white? I believe the only other release I have with Siren's fingerprints on it is MVM's Welcome to the NHK, which has nice small white subtitles.

Someone at the Fandom Post forums posted the reverse cover of part 1. They'd left the title off the spine and all the logos on it ^_^;

The subs are yellow. I can live with them. The title is on the spine of the reverse cover, it's just that it's in this low contrast shade that makes it hard to see.

EDIT: No, you're right no title on the spine. I was seeing the light shine through from behind and lighting up the title on the other side. :oops: Apparently I've learned to read mirror-writing without realising it.

Regarding DevotedDVD. That is their standard out of stock message. It was like that a few weeks before I got round to ordering it, so it will probably come back in stock. As mentioned it's easy to drop them a line. They're very helpful. If you're desperately in need of Penguindrum, Siren Visual do ship internationally, but they're not as customs friendly as DevotedDVD, and it will cost a tad more. Looks like about a tenner.

Anyway the anime/manga merchandise I won today was the RG 1/144 AILE STRIKE GUNDAM from Daisuki's prize draw.

Was briefly excited until I looked up what a RG 1/144 AILE STRIKE GUNDAM actually was. Turns out it's a model kit. Now I have to find 10 or so hours of my life that is free, and dredge up some very rusty modelling skills. I got pretty average with Airfix kits when I was a teenager. Putting them together was a cinch, painting them, not so much. Did make a kick-ass F14 Tomcat once, with working swing-wings!

Appropos of a convo elsewhere on this forum I realised I still needed a copy of the Dragonball Z Bardock/Trunks double pack dvd. Now Region 1's of this are like golddust, Amazon has them for £90 cheapest. But I got lucky and managed to bid and win the one R1 copy on eBay for just over £20. You see lots of R4's but I don't have playback facilities for R4 and with postage from Australia would end up have costing more.

This time it was Amazon.co.uk's turn to receive my attention and my hard-gotten gains:

Cowboy Bebop Collectors Edition, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
Kids on the Slope (Blu-ray)

Back