The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

IanC said:
Up1 cost to much more than importing from the US. Really dont get why people on here "love" them so much.

Dont know where your getting your R1s from, Red XIII, but ive never heard of customs holding on to something more than a day or so.

I have always found UP's prices more than reasonable, considering the sheer breadth and variety of titles they stock as well as the speedy delivery, I'm happy to pay a few quid extra. As long as the other users on this site are happy to use them it shouldn't really be of any concern to you anyway.

Well, over the last year or so I've ordered from glacierbay, DVD Pacific and Rowdys and I've always had to wait about 2 weeks between getting a shipping email and actually receiving the items. UP and otaku.co.uk may be more expensive but when you start factoring in shipping it isn't always that much more, and next day delivery really is attractive (for example, Paranoia Agent and Mangaminx got their copies of TenTen today whilst I could be waiting another 10-14 days).

I haven't used UP many times or for too long but their speed of delivery and quality of service in general is very good . Haven't ordered any dvds from the states myself , but some my parents did earliar this year took 2 weeks or so to arrive , which is a fairly lengthy time to wait for something.

On a more positive note and as RedXIII mentioned my Tenjho Tenge boxset arrived today. The show itself is brilliant, a twisted melange of colourful characters, blood soaked brawls and high school comedy, I can't wait to finish watching it later. The OP is worthy of a special mention too (infectiously catchy) as well as the jigsaw included with the artbox.....which is double sided ensuring hours of fun. :)

Paranoia Agent said:
On a more positive note and as RedXIII mentioned my Tenjho Tenge boxset arrived today. The show itself is brilliant, a twisted melange of colourful characters, blood soaked brawls and high school comedy, I can't wait to finish watching it later. The OP is worthy of a special mention too (infectiously catchy) as well as the jigsaw included with the artbox.....which is double sided ensuring hours of fun. :)

My jigsaw is still in its little can thing right now. The release is general is great quality, big chipboard box , funny clear pencil board thing , jigsaw in a pot and a little preview booklet of the edited CMX manga.

Go on, order from amazon. You know you want to ;)

Ive got fed up with play as well, esp with Tsukihime, since thats due out in 10 days. If they add the boxes before they come out i can simply cancel my amazon orders anyway :)

Today i bought (or rather my sister did while i was one the end of the phone deciding with her):

Anime:
Angelic Layer volume 1

Manga:
I.N.V.U volume 1

And a kind of how to draw book called 'Manga Mania Shoujo'

I got my copy of the first Mobile Suit Gundam movie today, its probably been here a few days but ive been away, and vol 2 of Gungrave and vol 1 of Gundam SEED shipped, vol 2 hasnt though :(

IanC said:
Up1 cost to much more than importing from the US. Really dont get why people on here "love" them so much.
Because I'm totally sick of £30-£60 customs charges and 2 - 4 week waits by buying outside of the UK! By the time you saved money importing, you've lost any saving and maybe more, if you're unlucky enough to get stung by customs. Besides, with UP1's discounts and cheap P&P, it doesn't actually work out that much more than importing. Also, these days, I don't have the advantage of even having a debit card, let alone a credit card and UP1 take postal orders and cheques :D (and to be honest with you, to me, it's worth the extra couple of quid for that personal, friendly service I get when I phone them up and place my order).

Charter_Mage said:
Manga:
I.N.V.U volume 1
Love this series, it's so much fun. Another Korean manga and I'm getting more partial to those these days!

Miaka-chan said:
you've lost any saving and maybe more

Unless you live in Ireland and dont have to pay customs duty on them :p The customs duty rates in the Uk are huge i really dont know how any of you put up with them, if i was over there id much rather order off a local importer than import them myself

A cautionary note to anyone using DVD Pacific; I stopped ordering with them when their customer database was hacked last summer and a ****-load of credit card details were stolen. Of course, I wasn't too happy to see that I had £250 ripped from my account and while I eventually got all the money back (Barclays were cool about the whole thing), I'll never order with them again.

Yes i got hit by the DVD Pacific hacker. Luckily i cancelled my card when i got the email from them about it. I still use them because aside from that they have been relibale.

Because I'm totally sick of £30-£60 customs charges and 2 - 4 week waits by buying outside of the UK! By the time you saved money importing, you've lost any saving and maybe more, if you're unlucky enough to get stung by customs

Never had a customs fee like that, you must be ordering too much in one go. Plus why does everyone keep going on about 2-4 weeks wait??? Must ive waited is 2 weeks, never more than that.

Im going to shut up now anyway, in case i make myself more unpopular than i already am.

IanC said:
Never had a customs fee like that, you must be ordering too much in one go. Plus why does everyone keep going on about 2-4 weeks wait??? Must ive waited is 2 weeks, never more than that.
You're lucky then! I can't see the point in ordering one or two DVDs and customs is charged on how much postage you've paid, as well as the value of the goods and I don't like handing my money over to the VAT man :lol:

OK, so maybe 4 weeks is a bit of an exaggeration in most cases, but in the past I've waited 7 weeks and even if UP1 don't have the stuff in stock, it takes no more than 2 weeks to get stuff from them, so I can't see the point of trusting people in the USA. Actually, that's the main reason I buy from UP1, after years (about 5) of bad experiences with Americans, I don't buy from America anymore.

My latest UK order came this week; and i've ordered Scrapped Princess and FMP: Fumoffu so they should come soon. Plus, I've recieved some lovely Tenchi OVAs from play.com.

Back