The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

Deathnote 12.
And once I finish it it will be the first complete series where I read every manga and have not seen the anime. :D
(Yes I know there is a 13, but it doesn't count! And besides a friend has it so I'll just borrow it from him straight afterwords!)

Consideration? With you you're still 'considering' anime/manga, even after you buy them. How long have you owned the likes of Wolf's Rain without watching?

It doesn't have any rape drama per se, but there is a rushed subplot where a guy in lust with the lead's woman forces his tongue down her throat and bruises/scares her. That was one of the more unsatisfying parts of the story - the story basically being a collection of subplots that occur whilst Kippei and his new 'daughter' bond.

Cancelled Dirty Pair at TRSI, reordered from up1.

Also ordered the US Canaan BD set. Let's see how Neo-ADV handle HD.

Also Iria: Zeiram and Cyber City Oedo 808 collections.

I am still waiting for Axel to ship my copy of Canaan blu-ray so I can't say for sure what region it is, but as all the rest of Section 23's blu-rays are locked to region A, I would think Canaan is as well.

ayase said:
Also Iria: Zeiram and Cyber City Oedo 808 collections.
Win and win. Two of my favourite OVAs right there.

My Dirty Pair set arrived today and I've watched the first couple of episodes. They were shallow as a pool of ant's piss but, oh my, those character designs <3

I'm in need some old-school fun. I just learned of Iria recently but have been meaning to get Oedo for a good long while.

What's the DP packaging like? Give it to me straight, I'm prepared for thinpacks. I'm just interested to know what the artwork's like.

It's the usual Nozomi thinpak cases in a sturdy chipboard box. Kei and Yuri each have a cover to themselves, with both appearing on the third volume. Bit uninspiring, to be honest, but I'm just glad to have the show at last.

Ordered the R1 Fruits Basket box set yesterday, after getting into it previously and my first DVD refusing to let me view the end of episode 3 + episode 4. It cost around £20 with postage... without, it's dangerously close to the customs limit. Right now DVDPacific seem intent to send the same confirmation email repeatedly, rather than the set.

It gripped me completely, unlike the manga, and Tohru's quite possibly the most kind character in existence, without seeming fake. Strong mentally, too. And Kyo seems to have tapped into her maternal instincts with his lack of social graces and inability to win a fight in front of her.

The other week, I also won both Ceres R1 box sets for around £13.

To begin with I thought Tohru was artificially pleasant, especially considering how tough she'd had it, but she grew on me as the series progressed. Also, Laura Bailey's performance is top-drawer. Even though it tends to be overly sweet at times, Fruits Basket's a good show.

It did surprise me somewhat to see you'd watched and 8'd it, considering it's a reverse harem and you refuse to watch anything shoujo-related; presumably because I've got it into your head that every single shoujo title has a rape attempt or two. (Well, ok, PSME and Mars kind of do, but still...)

I recall feeling the same way, when I tried to get into he manga. Not sure what's changed between now and then, but she definitely has an inner strength that other obvious doormats lack - she isn't the sort to cry over her troubles and, instead, just gets on with it.

The manga image over on MAL, showing her holding both the cat and rat together, is oh-so-cute. I can already see her soon putting her foot down and stopping the duo fighting in the house - the affection the two have for her more than likely leading to them being obedient.

I can still never recognise Bailey's voice. As Sana she's a hyper, overly happy little girl; meaning her voice has a higher pitch. As Tohru she's more reserved, calmer and mature sounding. As Lust she's alluring. As Marlene she's emotionless.

PS: I'd ordered the set after your freebie offer. I didn't really want to send you Melody of Oblivion in return, anyhow...

I vaguely recall there being an episode fairly early in the series where my cynicism over Tohru's kindness just disappeared. I can't even remember what happened. The show's on my lengthy "must rewatch" list but I'm having enough trouble watching DVDs for the first time...

If you didn't know Bailey voiced all those characters (not heard her Sana, obviously, though you are making it very tempting you little scamp) there's no way you'd ever realize it was the same actress. She's amazingly versatile.

My respect for Bailey, even though I can never tell when she's voicing someone, made me put her as the only person on my 'people' list, over on MAL. Sana's role is so demanding that, in Japan, they got a radio dj (afaik) to play her because of how fast she speaks and how many lines she has. With Akito - the male lead - being more of the silent type ("All you do is gab, gab, gab in your happy damn little world") it's a rarity for her not to be speaking. And she raps in every other episode.

More Bailey rapping:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o9Uio53wpBU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o9Uio53wpBU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

You wouldn't regret buying at least the first set; it having 24 episodes and the first 19 being in the 9-10/10 bracket, ignoring Bailey's rapping skills.

One other thing: the second OP (first, on the Funi sets) should tell you how crazy the series is!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4cUbBoofg5I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4cUbBoofg5I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Okay, I concede defeat. First set duly ordered. If I end up enjoying the show it'll pain me knowing that I can't get the second half of it; but £13 for 20-odd episodes of a fine Bailey performance can't be passed up.

I've purchased a lot lately :lol:

dscf0692u.jpg

A pair of Box sets arrived from amazon.com this morning (The price was too tempting)

- Red Garden S.A.V.E.
- Welcome to the NHK S.A.V.E

dscf0699p.jpg

- Rosario To Vampire Guidebook (french)
- To Love RU #13 (french)
- Rozen Maiden Ouvertüre on DVD (french)
- Summer Wars Blu-ray... (The disc includes the following audio and subtitle tracks: spanish,french, japanese, german, italian)

dscf0707d.jpg

- Lucky Star #6
- Omamori Himari #1
- Qwaser of Stigmata #1
- Pandora Hearts #3

dscf0702w.jpg

- Kobato #4 (spanish)
- Bakuman #1 (spanish)
- Soul Eater 1, 2 (spanish)
- High school of the dead #5 (spanish)
- School Rumble Z (spanish)
- Negima! #28 (spanish)
- Fairy Tail #16 (spanish)
- Life #9 (spanish)

DVDPacific seem determined to frustrate me further over my Fruits Basket suffering. It seems my e-bitch was more than willing to help me out with another freebie... but, instead, now I have to wait to see if DVDPacific actually have the R1 set in stock; even though they took money straight away.

Right now, I can't watch anything I'm into: my Kenichi sets taking the usual 7+ working days after dispatch average PlayUSA parcels always, for whatever reason, require to arrive through my letterbox. (I'm waiting on Kenichi before watching more of Kodocha for shounenxshoujo goodness...)

amazon.jpg

It doesn't seem like PlayUSA are going to be fulfilling the pre-orders that should have been sent, so I ordered GG2 from an Amazon seller, instead. And, since it was also going cheap, I got the episodes 14-15 OVA DVD, as well.

I actually dropped GG2 after one episode, back when it was still airing. But if nothing else, owning S2 will give me a reason to re-watch a 9/10 of mine.

As for Kujibiki, I picked up the Genshiken 2 set months ago - back when DVDPacific mispriced the art box collection. I need the OVAs that fit between S1 & S2 on DVD. I didn't want to order a series I have no interest in, just for the extras, but I finally gave in...

Back