The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

Zin5ki said:
Dracos said:
Clannad Collection 1
Where'd you buy if from? Are you taking the domestic route (up1 etc), or are you running the customs gauntlet?

I ordered it from Otaku.co.uk although sort of by accident, I was going to order it but not yet. I was looking on there and it worked out cheaper than UP1. So I thought, I had bought stuff from there before and wondered if they had kept my details so a couple of key strokes later and I had placed the order without realising, when I only wanted to find out what card details they had for me.

My Gundam: 08th MS Team box set arrived today from PlayUSA, as well as Lament of the Lamb V.6 from Play.

The 5 Gundam DVDs are housed in a standard sized DVD case; just like the Berserk 'remastered' set. And I was annoyed to discover that these DVDs aren't the remastered ones, which means I have the series with far superior video quality on my PC. At least it was only £14.99...

It'll be interesting to see how Bandai fit all 7 Wolf's Rain DVDs into a standard DVD case when they release the complete Anime Legends set. That really would be pushing it.

As for LotL 6, I'm going to wait for volume 7 before getting back into the series, and that might take a long time unless I bite the bullet and get it for £6.49 from TBD. I'm going to wait to see if Play can get more stock first.

DVD portion of my monthly order arrived today, I'll put up some pics later, but for now a list will have to suffice:

Blu-ray:

Code Geass v.7
Code Geass R2 v.7
Macross F v.7
Gundam 00 Second Season v.1
The Sky Crawlers (oh, can I not wait to see this)

DVD:

Mouryou no Hako v.3
Ikki Tousen GG v.6
Real Drive Collector's Box v.3

ilmaestro said:
Sky Crawlers on BD? That must have cost you a bomb. I'm looking forward to an R1 release- I simply cannot stretch to importing a Japanese DVD at the moment.

Grabbed the Galaxy Angel X R1 collection to complete my set (aside from Rune, but I don't care).

My want list is actually getting quite small now with the current exchange rates limiting what I can be bothered to import. Fortunately my backlog is enormous so by the time I'm through that things might be better.

R

Zin5ki said:
ilmaestro said:
Sky Crawlers on BD? That must have cost you a bomb. I'm looking forward to an R1 release- I simply cannot stretch to importing a Japanese DVD at the moment.
Yeah, I'm trying not to buy one-offs at the moment due to the exchange rate, but just couldn't resist this one. I'm not off work until Tuesday, though, so I have to wait a while to watch it. ;_;

ilmaestro said:
Zin5ki said:
ilmaestro said:
Yeah, I'm trying not to buy one-offs at the moment due to the exchange rate, but just couldn't resist this one. I'm not off work until Tuesday, though, so I have to wait a while to watch it. ;_;

Did you buy the £300 version or the £50 version? :x

Looking at most of the Japanese DVDs/BDs ever released, that £300 is absolutely not worth the money, by a long shot. Comparing it to older LE releases of films/TV series in the past.

Unfortunately, I had to settle for the "cheap" version. In the days of 200 yen to the pound I'd have been all over the special edition, but with orders costing 40%+ more these days anyway I just couldn't budget for it.

I get to finish work early tonight, though, so I'll be watching it in a couple of hours time! \o/

It's meant to be a horribly dull, meaningless film. If the early reviews are accurate, buying it was a great way to spend £50 (?) on something you won't be able to sell and break even with...unless it has English subtitles, that is.

I don't think I've ever sold any anime or manga, nor do I have any intention to.

edit: plus, the first two reviews that I just checked (I don't normally bother with reviews, but your comment intrigued me as I didn't suspect you would be correct) are pretty positive. So, er, what are you talking about again?

The early MAL reviews that were posted after a HQ version appeared on the net weren't too hot. And the same hoes for the NarutoFAN comments I randomly read whilst browsing the other day.

So far, it has a score of 6.9/10 on IMDB. Only 220 votes but not too promising.

Just now I read a random blog comment, the poster saying it was one of the most boring films he'd seen. It doesn't exactly surprise me after watching GitS. The only real positive comments I've read are comments about the visuals.

Example of the love for it thus far: http://moviemartyr.blogspot.com/2008/09 ... -2008.html

More detailed: http://anitenshi.wordpress.com/2008/12/08/sky-crawler/

Right, ok, I saw one review on ANN and one review linked from Rotten Tomatoes that were pretty positive, so given the nature of the film I'd be inclined to ignore randoms on MAL or NarutoFAN.

That's fine by me - believe what you will. I wouldn't trust Narutards either. I simply happened to see a thread pop up and read a post or two in it.

I have no interest in the film myself. I stay away from anime films that aren't highly rated because I tend dislike even most highly rated ones. And I didn't enjoy the first GitS film very much, which puts me off watching any films created by the same director.

I just find it rather odd that you'd throw money at something without knowing anything about it, especially with the pound as it is. I was aware you liked buying Japanese goods, but around £50 for a film you haven't seen? I call madness.

...oh, and I'm not trying to start a nerd war with you. I just felt like randomly commenting on the film.

-----------

Bleach: Volumes 1-24

Rougly £1.40 per volume, but I already own the first 6 volumes, so it's roughly £1.90 per volume for what I wanted.

I also picked up Le Chavvy Don 1-6 from the same seller for £15 because I own the first 3 volumes. My happiness will depend on how much I'm able to sell the first 3 volumes for.

Mamoru Oshii doesn't bring us knuckle-biting excitement, that's for sure. Still, I find his films warm to me. Out of all the anime I own I'd fathom his titles are the most cerebral ones. For me to have shunned them due to their of their pacing and exposition would, I feel, be a discredit to the effort and precision he puts into them.
TSK isn't likely to gather acclaim amongst its viewers in the same way (for example) 5cm per Second is, but it's still won an award, and has entered the Japanese DVD chart very strongly.
That said I've yet to watch it. I could end up eating my words.

Back