The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

Code Geass: Part 1 & 2 (of 3)

Code Geass is in my top 5 and one of the few series I've rated 10/10, so winning this auction pleased me. I now just need to pick up the final set to complete my collection.

£21 isn't bad considering the cheapest price for the first set is £15.99 (PlayUSA) and the second set is out of stock at that store.

Code Geass: Volumes 1 & 2 (Manga)

It was eBay.co.uk Code Geass weekend. It would've been rude not to pay £6 to have a look at the manga. It'll probably be **** in comparison to the anime but I won't know for sure until I have a look.

Immortal Rain: Volumes 1-5

Very highly rated...even though I hadn't heard of it until I saw the auction. It sounds a lot like Trigun, and that isn't a bad thing.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290298219339&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=019">Towards The Terra Parts 1-3</a>

Yay i finaly managed to get my hands on the set, i was going to buy it a while ago but i could never find anyone that had all 3 in stock at the same time. I did try to bid on a similar auction not long before i won this one so im glad that some one else listed it =)

That previous auction for Towards the Terra was mine. You were up against a determined bidder, unfortuately, but I'm glad you landed a set in the end :)

Having sold a couple more items on eBay, I used the proceeds to buy the first Clannad set from Otaku. I'll probably hate it but watching it will at least allow me to slag off moe/visual novel romances from a more informed perspective.

I was in on that TTT too, though I saw (and didn't bid on) fabricatedlunatic's previously. Damn you ;)

In no rush so I'm waiting for a set really.

R

I was the one with the £35.77 bid above. Any bid ending with 07 or 77 is me. :D

Fabio got very, very lucky with his auction, basically making back what he paid...assuming he got his sets for £15.99 from PlayUSA. He seems to have luck when it comes to getting high bids from idiots, he even got back what he paid for ******* Kiddy Grade!!!

I haven't picked up anything since I last posted but three things arrived today: my Code Geass sets (won from same the TtT seller), my Hellsing volumes and my DBZ: S2 set. The Code Geass sets are mint, some of my Hellsing books are damaged (one has a nasty rip on the bottom of the spine) and my DBZ set has a few knocks.

I hope PlayUSA drop the price of the third Code Geass set soon. I can re-watch it on DVD and then make a second attempt at getting through R2.

I hate eBay with an all consuming passion, but some of you do seem to get some good deals that way.

I've made a nice order from amazon, though, so I should have something to add to this thread (and some pics) at the end of the week. ^_^

You don't like referring to me by name, do you? "Some of you..." You mean ALL of me.

It's difficult to get anime bargains on eBay these days. Very few people list decent stuff, most opting to list over-priced BIN listings and sell rubbish. eBay have scared away nearly all of the small sellers who have top quality stuff to sell.

I can't really blame people not listing anime when so few seem interested in it on eBay. I had ONE other bidder for the Code Geass sets, even though it isn't licensed in the UK and is one of the best series around. What does that tell you about the amount of anime buyers on eBay? Not a lot good.

In the case of manga there have been far more interesting listings, mainly becsause most of the anime licensed in the UK is rubbish. However, I can see manga bargain hunting becoming as hard as anime bargain hunting in the near future, what with eBay capping book postage costs at £2.75, even when a seller sells 10 books together.

Aion said:
I can't really blame people not listing anime when so few seem interested in it on eBay. I had ONE other bidder for the Code Geass sets, even though it isn't licensed in the UK and is one of the best series around. What does that tell you about the amount of anime buyers on eBay? Not a lot good.
Well, there was that well publicized issue with defective discs. I certainly would have at least considered bidding for them had it not been for that. I'm sure they're fine but I, and probably others, would rather not have to deal with potentially b0rked discs.

I assumed it was you who bid against me after I saw the blue star. :D

I asked the seller in advance about that. He answered, telling me he'd played the DVDs on his Oppo player without issue. He wasn't lying. It's always a good idea to ask questions.

If I'm remembering correctly, the defective disc thing was only an issue with the special edition part 1 set; the one with the art box and extras. I would've liked to own the art box but it wouldn't have been worth the risk, and I'm very happy with the slipcovers that trick me into thinking I've got 2 box sets.

I wish Manga sold Death Note like Bandai are releasing stuff these days. Both are going down the cheap double volume route, yet with Bandai's releases you get 2 individual cases AND some lovely looking slipcovers. Manga's releases are fugly in comparison.

Anyway. Since we're talking Code Geass...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nMc7px3OmFg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nMc7px3OmFg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I understand that all versions were affected.

It's a good idea to ask questions, but since some people were able to play the discs without trouble from the outset, the answer you receive may not be that reliable. Just because they play perfectly on one player doesn't mean they will on another. It's a risk I wasn't prepared to take but I do hope that your discs are fine (assuming you haven't already checked them).

Hope I haven't scared you too much :p

If the DVDs were corrupted then they wouldn't play on any player, period. Parts the disc would but the damaged areas would freeze up or skip. I know because I was unlucky enough to buy the Gankutsuou art box with a badly mastered disc.

Already checked 'em by fast-forwarding through - they all play fine. I even watched the picture drama episodes for the first time, enjoying them quite a bit. I now know where the images of the female characters naked came from. :)

I recall posters in the AnimeOnDVD thread reporting that the CG discs, and other defective Bandai titles, were playing flawlessly on PS3 but not on their standalone players. One of my discs, a volume of Ping Pong Club, always used to freeze in the same place on my Pioneer player, but was fine on my PC. That reminds me: I should try it on my Sony standalone.

Maybe it depends upon just how b0rked a disc is. Anyway, glad yours are okay.

My Phillips player is odd. It'll play many DVDs flawlessly, from start to finish, yet with some DVDs it'll always freeze at certain points, even though the DVDs play fine on my PC and other player. Since it had issue with Excel Saga and Mini-Goddess, I think it doesn't do bad anime.

hehe so it was you that was you aion trying to out bid me on that TTT set =) i was determinded to get it this time after losing -which i know now was fabtricated set- as i really wanted the set.

The code geass part 1 LE i only had issues with the 2nd vol and it was only in two places where it would freeze for a second then carry on again other wise my set was fine

only the original release had problems, the re-release works fine thankfully

anyway on topic

My Gundam Seed collectors edition finally arrived and in 1 piece (thanks andrew for sorting out the your suppliers :) )

Aion said:
It turned out to be a bad move. The set arrived today, the actual box with a nasty bash to one corner and other knocks, including a rip to the hinge inside/outside. The extras box is in bin worthy condition, creased to hell and very tatty.

The design of the set is pretty bad. I was expecting a standard art box but it came in a set that opens down the middle. Not nice looking and easy to damage.

I knew it was a bit of a risk when the image wasn't clear and the seller vague but I still expected to end up happy. Now I have to deal with the seller, and I can't lie about it not arriving because it was sent Recorded. I've lost every 'Not As Described' PayPal dispute in the past because they wanted hard evidence, like an independant report.

just had a look at mine, and i've noticed mine is damaged in the same place.

little disapointed tbh

Back