The All Purpose Mobile Suit Gundam Thread

Arrgh!

Gundam 00 series 2 part 4 is out in the States today.

Anyone got any idea how long before the R1 imports start cropping up on sites like Amazon and Play? Because it's not there yet...

I'm trying to get one of my mates into watching anime at the moment and I feel it's probably time to approach the mecha genre.

So, I have to ask, is there a self-contained one-shot OAV or film in the Gundam franchise I could show him that would get across a reasonable idea of what it's all about?

I know that some of the OAVs are relatively short, but I'm afraid it's a one-shot I'm after here - while he's pretty much won over, I haven't convinced him to watch anything longer form as yet.

Doesn't matter if it's UC or one of the alternate timelines, so long as it's got the essence of Gundam in a nutshell, that's the main thing.

There's the summary films, and Char's Counteratack. The good OVAs are all 13 ep or spinoff(IGLOO is not normal for the franchise). Go for UC; a summary (first Zeta movie, first 0079 movie, or 0083:afterglow of Zeon) or CC. Of those 0083 and CC aren't part 1 of a trilogy and should stand alone better.

The SEED summaries are mostly highly rated, but it's bloody SEED (which some people just hate).

Reaper gI said:
There's the summary films, and Char's Counteratack. The good OVAs are all 13 ep or spinoff(IGLOO is not normal for the franchise). Go for UC; a summary (first Zeta movie, first 0079 movie, or 0083:afterglow of Zeon) or CC. Of those 0083 and CC aren't part 1 of a trilogy and should stand alone better.

The SEED summaries are mostly highly rated, but it's bloody SEED (which some people just hate).

You forget the greatest Gundam OVA...0080: War in the Pocket. Also I wouldn't recommend CC that much as stand alones, as some of the backstory is needed to understand the rivialry.

BlackWolf said:
You forget the greatest Gundam OVA...0080: War in the Pocket. Also I wouldn't recommend CC that much as stand alones, as some of the backstory is needed to understand the rivialry.
No I didn't, it's just got more than one ep.
It should stand alone though, it is shorter than most of the films.

War in the Pocket was actually the first thing that sprang to my mind, although I thought it was a one-off rather than a 6-parter.

I'm kinda dubious about the compilation films as they so often seem to get a bad rap. I'll definitely try and have a look at the 0083 compilation though (not a fan of SEED either).

Thanks very much :)

Edit: Is the F91 film any good by the way? It's about the only film I could spot that wasn't a compilation or an obvious follow-up.

F91 is regaded baddly.
The compilations aren't bad they just compare baddly to the full versions, if you haven't otherwise seen it they're fine.
The summaries for 0079 rates better than the full version (which was a mess).

Professor Irony said:
War in the Pocket was actually the first thing that sprang to my mind, although I thought it was a one-off rather than a 6-parter.

I'm kinda dubious about the compilation films as they so often seem to get a bad rap. I'll definitely try and have a look at the 0083 compilation though (not a fan of SEED either).

Thanks very much :)

Edit: Is the F91 film any good by the way? It's about the only film I could spot that wasn't a compilation or an obvious follow-up.

It isn't bad per say, just that you can tell the plot has been squashed into the 2 hour running time. It was supposed to only been the pilot into a 50 ep series. Still the designs are superb.

Ah, that's a shame - the art for F91 does look nice.

I'll probably stick with 0083 for the time being. I watched the first 0079 compilation a few months back, but, while it had a lot of great moments, I thought it was a bit draggy on the whole. Saying that, I might have enjoyed it more if I hadn't already seen SEED beforehand - the setup just felt too familiar.

Prof, I would REALLY suggest getting hold of the 0083 series instead of the compilation movie.

As a series, I think 0083 is one of the strongest in the Gundam pantheon. A lot will hinge on whether you get along with the characters, but for sheer escalating tension it can't be beat.

It's between that and The 08thMS Team for UC Gundam stuff, as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't spit on War In The Pocket.

HdE said:
Prof, I would REALLY suggest getting hold of the 0083 series instead of the compilation movie.

As a series, I think 0083 is one of the strongest in the Gundam pantheon. A lot will hinge on whether you get along with the characters, but for sheer escalating tension it can't be beat.

It's between that and The 08thMS Team for UC Gundam stuff, as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't spit on War In The Pocket.

Intresting i'm the opposite way round with UC stuff...so far that is as i'm yet to see the 8th MS team, was going to pick up the region 1 AL set but other concerns at the time forced my hand.

Personally i found the characters in 0080 far better then those in 0083 which i found a very weak tie in to Zeta. Best thing to come out of 0083 were the mech designs...and the Neul Ziel. Guess it comes down to the Marmite effect :p

If it was just for the sake of watching it myself, I'd be quite happy to give the 0083 series a shot (and I probably will at some point), it's just that I really am after one self-contained feature here.

Personally, I've never had all that much success with Gundam. I want to like it, I really do, but I've yet to see a Gundam series that grabs me. It's not that I actively dislike any of the ones I've seen (bar SEED, I regret watching that), I've just never felt really into it.

Even the 08th MS Team, which I was looking forward to immensely before I started watching it, just didn't deliver the way I was hoping it would have. I watched the first couple of episodes, thought "yeah, this is okay" and never got back to it.

I would also very seriously suggest the first episode of Unicorn, or even just the first episode of 00. They have the added benefit of looking "new" (often helps with people who aren't used to "older looking" anime), but obviously aren't really self contained. I don't think that should matter, though, as there is enough in either to pique the interest of someone who is so inclined, imo.

There is also the option of forgetting Gundam entirely and showing him, say, DYRL, or even maybe the Patlabor movies.

Assuming they already haven't been seen both are wonderful alternatives, and Do You Remember Love? is one of my favourite anime movies (and offers up a far better end then the series)

Oh no matter what choice you pick don't show him G-Saviour, or even sully gundam's name with its mention ;) :p

ilmaestro and BlackWolf said:
Macross: DYRL

Yeah, I had DYRL earmarked as the next thing I was going to suggest that he watch :)

Gundam is such a vast and influential franchise that it would seem wrong not to bring it up in some way, but it does surprise me that in all these years we've never had a one-off Gundam film that would be the obvious equivalent to DYRL. I know that for Gundam, probably more so than many other long-running series, there's a lot to pack into one feature, but you'd think it should be possible to do it for one version without completely cutting it to ribbons.

Professor Irony said:
ilmaestro and BlackWolf said:
Macross: DYRL

Yeah, I had DYRL earmarked as the next thing I was going to suggest that he watch :)

Gundam is such a vast and influential franchise that it would seem wrong not to bring it up in some way, but it does surprise me that in all these years we've never had a one-off Gundam film that would be the obvious equivalent to DYRL. I know that for Gundam, probably more so than many other long-running series, there's a lot to pack into one feature, but you'd think it should be possible to do it for one version without completely cutting it to ribbons.
DYRL is just a summary movie of the first season of Macross, that cut tons out. There's one for every Gundam OVA and the first season.
It apperars to be regarded as good only by people who haven't seen the original Macross, which came out like 10 years later in English.

Back