The All Purpose Mobile Suit Gundam Thread

Zin5ki said:
Recent news from afar may interest you. The 0079 series will be re-released by Bandai in the forseeable future within R1, according to ANN et al.

Wow, cool timing Bandai! I'll be getting this.

Kaede said:
Zin5ki said:
Recent news from afar may interest you. The 0079 series will be re-released by Bandai in the forseeable future within R1, according to ANN et al.

Wow, cool timing Bandai! I'll be getting this.

You're not alone there. Earlier in the year I was trying to find the singles, even if they were dub only, but only found them over-priced. Then about a week after I suggested it for the UK AL line, it appeared in the US one! So I'll be waiting for more information with great interest (including any possible UK release).

I recently watched MS Gundam and adored it. Flawed, for sure (and I now wish my review had mentioned that much of its middle is forgettable one-ep adventures... not exactly filler as kupocake asserts, but bordering) but still a highly charming programme.

I'll be glad to own it if they do an R2 version. If not I'll have to wait a few years till I can afford a multi-region DVD player (my money is all tied up in survival right now).

Finished watching the Gundam movies box set yesterday, I was absolutely loving it by the end. 6km wide laser beams are the reason I watch this ****. 8)

I'll be picking up the unedited TV series when it comes out for sure. My only criticism of the movie versions is that the plots just moved along far too quickly. Seemingly important characters were introduced and then dead within about 5 minutes. They were getting theme tune tribute songs longer than their screen time! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Kaede said:
Finished watching the Gundam movies box set yesterday, I was absolutely loving it by the end. 6km wide laser beams are the reason I watch this ****. 8)

I'll be picking up the unedited TV series when it comes out for sure. My only criticism of the movie versions is that the plots just moved along far too quickly. Seemingly important characters were introduced and then dead within about 5 minutes. They were getting theme tune tribute songs longer than their screen time! :lol:

That's what annoyed me about them, people like Kai and Hayato barely got enough screen time, making their maturation towards the end seem sudden and badly written, and don't get me started on how quickly Char started taking out his revenge, it all happened so suddenly and without much build up that, again, it seemed rushed and badly written. I too am looking forward to the series boxsets...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say MSG was a big surprise for me, I thought it wouldn't have aged well and considering my first Gundam was the most recent I thought the difference would be too large, but it was actually really good. It was a bit more saturday morning, but still really good, though when some characters died it wasn't really made clear, maybe because back in the day you didn't have to show a dead body to prove someone wasn't coming back =P

Kaede said:
My only criticism of the movie versions is that the plots just moved along far too quickly. Seemingly important characters were introduced and then dead within about 5 minutes.
In spite of this complaint, each film was still far longer than I was used to. My resolve was to cover each one over two separate sittings, as a means of remaining consistently attentive to them.

Yeah I completely agree. I think I only managed to get through the third one in two sittings though. As it approached the climactic ending I was enjoying it much more.

Kaede said:
Sparrowsabre,

In your opinion, which is the best Gundam series?

I've just bought Char's Counterattack. 8)

To be fair Char's Counterattack suffers from some flaws, and you'll be wanting a few characters dead after a mins after their introductions. Mech designs are good though...Love the Sazabi.

Speaking of CC though I would like to read the novel version of it sometime, heard its a lot different in some places.

Stuart-says-yes said:
VivisQueen said:
I'll be glad to own it if they do an R2 version. If not I'll have to wait a few years till I can afford a multi-region DVD player (my money is all tied up in survival right now).

You know most dvd players have a code which can be used to "unlock" them, so you won't need to buy another DVD player, if you already have one.

Anyway, I was wondering, where is the best place (site) to buy Gundam UC from? also is it worth its high-ish prices?
Unicorn is store exclusive (outside Japan), the options are Amazon.com, or beez ent's shop.
Beez shop is probably cheaper, as it's inc. VAT. Amazon will get hit with customs charges and apropriate fine.

You don't get fined, lol. You have to pay VAT (things that cheap don't incur import duty any more) and the couriers handling charge - you're paying for a service, not being punished for importing the thing.

And yes, Stu, I would say volume 1 is easily worth the money, haven't watched volume 2 yet.

Not that I've ever had to pay, no, the delivery company should handle that for you. You can sometimes come out slightly on the wrong side of HMRC's "official" exchange rate, but at least that allows you to know 100% whether something around the £18 mark will get taxed or not.

I didn't mean that in relation to the VAT, but the handling charge is theoretically a service charge, yeah. The only people who really take the piss with that are Royal Mail and Parcelforce, ironically, despite providing comfortably the worst service.

edit: oh yeah, Gundam. I watched the ten minute "digest" version of episode 1 of Unicorn that comes as an extra with episode 2. Very good, for the length that it was. I also either hadn't seen or had completely forgotten this excellent PV for the first episode.

ilmaestro said:
The only people who really take the piss with that are Royal Mail and Parcelforce, ironically, despite providing comfortably the worst service.

I've heard it said that there are persuasive legal grounds for refusing to pay the handling charges these folks slap on your packages.

However, I've yet to find anything in print that I can wave in their faces. Sections of the postal act that I've been referred to turn out to be gibberish when I consult the correct documents.

Anyone else had better success?

I'm sure you can easily refuse to pay it.

Can't see you getting your items handed over easily, though. :p

Either way, I have no idea how you could logically argue against it, except for how much more Royal Mail charge than, say, DHL, when they provide much less of a useful service.

Back