Sometimes unexpected things happen

The boring reason might be that logins expire more slowly as I didn't copy any settings across. We're still missing quite a few regulars but I hope we'll see them again eventually :(

R

Demelza said:
That could also just be due to the fact users have been having trouble registering for a little bit before our old site went down, so now we're just getting some new faces in. :)

Yeah the massive registration issues ironically helped keep the bots out (at the expense of driving all of the actual users nuts). I know quite a few people got locked out over the months the old forum was wobbly.

Edit: Now I look as though I'm double posting D:

R

Ah sorry about that Rui xD

I realised I was talking about user registration while shadow had been talking about users online, so figured I could delete and get rid of my silly mistake quickly.

Although, your post still had a very good point – less registrations would lead to less people being logged in! :)

ayase said:
Hey Rena, nice to see some more familiar faces drifting in.

I can't help but think some people who use even less social media than I do are going to be completely lost, but I guess the old site has a redirect now.

Hiya ayase :)

Managed to find the backup forum thanks to the post on Twitter :D

I actually don't have to change any passwords since the password on AUKN was an old one that isn't used anywhere else anymore since I've had to deal with the aftermath of forum hackers before (one actually hit just before the hack here happened, but that member of the lower end of the gene pool was demanding money or the whole site would be wiped).

I've also gone for an avatar change to slightly match what I'm using in my new video empire.

Edit: I was also checking the original forum address at least twice a day hoping that it would be back online, and it was only a short time ago that I decided to check the main site and found the link to the backup forum.

An unexpected thing happened to me recently too. A free poetry paper published this poem of mine:

Do I do?
No I don't
do do
eww
I don't know the coo
does she?
yeah coo coo
well that's what she's thinking I am
as I stare with an open jaw from the traffic island
I feel stranded
everyone else has crossed but I wait for the green man
as it turns green and we pass I can't keep up the oogling
but my brain is googling her
no results man she's long gone
too late to chase after and say "hey are you Japanese?"
or "hey, nice shoes"
or "hey you're gorge"
I've been oogling women today like a total madman
that's what 2 cakes, 2 sandwiches and 4 coffees will do to a man

They published it sideways though but still I wasn't expecting to make the cut at all. I'm now a bit worried the whole world will think I'm a sukebe (perv) though. Is it possible to read this poem and just think "he's a nice guy, he just had too much cake"?

Vashdaman said:
I feel stranded
everyone else has crossed but I wait for the green man
as it turns green and we pass I can't keep up the oogling
but my brain is googling her
Off-centred rhymes aplenty! Thank goodness you have survived the outage intact.

Just an FYI after the AUKN hack, or rather something I've noticed.

I've been getting spammy emails from myself, which have been going to my junk / spam folder. I'm not especially tech savvy, but I'm told this is something that happens - it's called 'from spoofing', apparently. Spammers use your email username to make it appear their crap is being sent from your email.

I've changed my passwords, but I'm told there's not much that can be done to stop it happening. I'm not really sure how serious this is (I suspect 'not very', seeing as I've dilligently changed my passwords on EVERYTHING) but it sure is annoying.

HdE said:
Just an FYI after the AUKN hack, or rather something I've noticed.

I've been getting spammy emails from myself, which have been going to my junk / spam folder. I'm not especially tech savvy, but I'm told this is something that happens - it's called 'from spoofing', apparently. Spammers use your email username to make it appear their crap is being sent from your email.

I've changed my passwords, but I'm told there's not much that can be done to stop it happening. I'm not really sure how serious this is (I suspect 'not very', seeing as I've dilligently changed my passwords on EVERYTHING) but it sure is annoying.
Pretty much all their doing is faking your email address which is most likely why it's being caught and sent straight to the spam folder (it also might be that their only faking it as the senders name and the actual email address is being shown and is a known spammer), so you can't do anything until they get tired of using that data and getting nowhere with it.

That's pretty much what I'd assumed - but a little extra reinforcement and validation is always appreciated!

Always a shame when things like this happen but it's good to see that folks are carrying on. It took me a while to get back due to the timing but hopefully I'll be around more from now on (whether that's a good thing...).

I'd expect to be more upset about losing some of the old posts and topics but I don't think that stuff really matters as much as getting back to discussing things with a good group.

Add me to the list of people that were missing you. I had assumed you wouldn't be coming back at this point, so this is an unexpectedly pleasant surprise :D

You're gonna need to prove that you're the real Smeelia.
What's your favourite CGDCT show, why is it Non Non Biyori and who do you ship in Love Hina?

Back