So whats your desktop?

miscs said:
Sooooo your just going for pretty? Vista, windows 7 and ubuntu can all do "pretty" extremely well compared to XP.

IF your going for just "pretty" then any of those operating systems will do that, but I PLEEEEED you to consider other factors to formulate your final choice!

OH YEAH! Any operating system you install will require you to enter a WEP key or other form of security information depending on how you have your modem/router setup. So don't be put of ubuntu because of that as you will face this regardless of the operating system you decide to use.

I think we have gone a bit off topic lol! however good luck with choosing the correct operating system for your dual boot.

To be honest, most people would use Ubuntu as the prime case for a "pretty" desktop. For my uses, it seems to nail them. It's crisp, clean, and apperntly with the use of CompizFusion very unique. (Moving wallpapers, raining on the screen, unique window effects etc)

However- my reason for being tempted by Vista/W7 is that they are more compatible with Photoshop, Graphics tablet etc.

miscs said:
A very good point. I keep windows XP on my machine so I can dual boot it to access programs like photoshop when I need to. So it depends how you wanna install your next OS on you machine. If your going to dual boot with XP you will be fine with ubuntu. If on the other hand you only want one OS on your machine, vista/7 would be your better option.

Unless you are in luck my friend, The application called wine lets you run alot of windows applications in ubuntu. Why don't you check the database to see if your version of photoshop has been found to be compatible?

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=17

Bronze = ok it will run, but may have some slowdowns etc

Silver= It will run good with no significant/noticeable problems

Gold= it will run perfectly

From my understanding, Wine can get viruses though?

New minimalist desktop after my HDD cleanup. It was absolutely full of shite before. Miura from Yotsuba fanart, still no idea what the Japanese says...
Desk010709.png

ayase said:
Miura from Yotsuba fanart, still no idea what the Japanese says...

Miurato, which is presumably a play on Yotsubato/Yotsuba&. I still haven't read it much to my husband's horror so I have no further insight :)

I like understated wallpapers now. They're far better than all of the overly vectored, drooled over images that seem to be popular at my resolutions.

R

A Kim hyung jung calender, fashioned in the style of the character he played in the Korean drama version of 'Boys Over Flowers.'

I still call him by his character name, Ji Hoo. Ever since the drama ended he has gone back to being a pop star and now has rock star hair.

Wah! I miss you Ji Hoo sunbae...

M.G x

Emerson Lake & Palmer said:
Well here is mine, it's from a ''Yes'' album cover

Tales From Topographic Oceans. You, sir, are a legend. Yes are my favourite band, and Roger Dean's covers have been a standard in my wallpaper folder for a long time now.

Will-O, I can't help but laugh at some of that preinstalled crap :lol:

Acer Store, Empowering Technology, eSobi v2, Orion, and the various other "Acer" bits.

When we spoke on the phone you said you had none of this shite? lol.

Spyro201 said:

Acer Store, Empowering Technology, eSobi v2, Orion, and the various other "Acer" bits.

No I didn't... and there's nothing stopping me from getting rid of it, foo'! ;D

You the same as me, then? Keeping it there to remind of lesser days... When the computer was faster... Ahh... nostalgia.

Or, for some reason I just never got rid of all the Vaio stuff.

Jayme said:
You the same as me, then? Keeping it there to remind of lesser days... When the computer was faster... Ahh... nostalgia.

Or, for some reason I just never got rid of all the Vaio stuff.

Nostalgia I guess X]. When I had the old computer, I left a lot of the defualt programs on, just to remind me how AMAZING I thought the computer was.

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
Spyro201 said:

You did :lol:

I said "You probably have all that Acer **** preinstalled" and you were like "No no no none of that".

:roll:

lol.

Spyro201 said:
Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
Spyro201 said:

You did :lol:

I said "You probably have all that Acer **** preinstalled" and you were like "No no no none of that".

:roll:

lol.

I thought you were talking about any defualt games... ^^'. That's what came to mind, anywho.

would ya believe it i have Genshiken as my wallpaper, the notable seen that you see on the front of the economy boxset of the show

Just cleaned up the educational material from my desktop and finally fixed the blue background error.

Major Naruto spoilers:

Good to see I'm not the only person with an accumulation of "New Folders" (last time I checked it seemed as though one contained an infinite loop of them). Would I be correct in assuming yours are full of unsorted pr0n too, Aion?

As a newfound Vocaloid fan, am liking Miku there Will (is that some kind of music player?), even if I somewhat creepily prefer Tako Luka. Why am I Moe for a disembodied head with tentacles for hair..?

ayase said:
Good to see I'm not the only person with an accumulation of "New Folders" (last time I checked it seemed as though one contained an infinite loop of them). Would I be correct in assuming yours are full of unsorted pr0n too, Aion?

As a newfound Vocaloid fan, am liking Miku there Will (is that some kind of music player?), even if I somewhat creepily prefer Tako Luka. Why am I Moe for a disembodied head with tentacles for hair..?

Hah, Vocaloid's awesome, though I only initially gave it any interest because of Miku! My girlfriend said if she has something she's going to put on it to enable it to play tunes. Right now though, it tells me how my RAM is (hence the bar below her). It's great though, she reacts depending on how much is loading X]. And don't worry, Luka's... "cute", and this is coming from a straight guy X]... Did you know Kamui's voiced by Gackt? I only found out a few days ago.

That's okay then.

takoloid-moe.jpg

Awwww. I think I want one as a pet. C'mon genetic engineering, what are you waiting for?

I didn't know about Gackt, but then I only found out about Vocaloid a few days ago...

Back