So here has been to japan?

Those are some nice places. Didnt know about the eva shop or ninja restaurant or the campcom bar. I will try those, its just too much to see within 6 days, i know i will be dead when coming back lol

I will write down those names for a possible (wanted) visit.

Just booked my Ghibli Museum tickets. :)

Rui said:
If you like games, the Capcom Bar in Shinjuku is amazing. Expensive, though (you have to book a timeslot there, you can't just pop in for a quick drink and leave). Another expensive yet memorable dining experience is the ninja restaurant in Akasaka.

Holy **** I need more info on this place!!!!! :eek:

EDIT: OK Googled and doesn't look as good as my imaginary version :(

devilrules666 said:
trying to have a ciragette is very hard cause you have to kind of smoke in the back streets where guards arent around.
Lol. You can smoke wherever there is an outdoor ashtray. Or some indoor smoking area.

So about money exchange. I have started reading about it now but Im not sure if its better to exchange some in my country and more (of course) in Japan. Or if I just change once i get into the Narita airport. To those who have already been there, just share some opinions please.

While I've not been to Japan, I've found that changing money at dedicated foreign exchange booths (especially in airports) almost always gives you the worst possible rate - The only thing worse is using your bank card in a foreign cashpoint.

My advice would be to change as much (if not more than) you think you'll need before you go. See what rate your bank will give you, or if you're going to be changing a lot of money look into on-line services. Others might be able to point you to the best ones (I'd be willing to bet that maestro and Rui change a lot of money when they go to Japan...)

I always change mine in advance so I can buy whenever the rate is at its best and so I don't waste a second of my trip at a counter when I could be shopping in Japan :D

Even if I change a lot (and I do), I always run out of money eventually - but fortunately more and more shops are accepting credit cards for large purchases these days. It can be hard finding a cash machine which accepts foreign cards when you're over there (look for Japanese post offices, they're by far the easiest solution no matter where in the country you are).

R

I actually get a great rate off my bank as part of the benefits from paying a monthly fee for my current account, so I take very little cash with me and withdraw the rest over there.

I can echo DO NOT change your money at the airport - ask around your bank and your nearest high street travel agencies and find out who is offering the best rate at the time.

pre-post edit: Rui, how can you know you are buying when the rate is best - it could always go up immediately after you change your money!

IMO it is not hard to find cash points now that you can withdraw from 7-Eleven, HSBC, or Citibank as well as the PO, but I can imagine it being harder depending on your location outside of major cities.

ilmaestro said:
pre-post edit: Rui, how can you know you are buying when the rate is best - it could always go up immediately after you change your money!

IMO it is not hard to find cash points now that you can withdraw from 7-Eleven, HSBC, or Citibank as well as the PO, but I can imagine it being harder depending on your location outside of major cities.

HSBC withdrew from Japan IIRC, Citibank is good but limited to certain locations, and 7-Elevens are few and far between even in places like Ikebukuro, which is dominated by the Family Mart cartel. I know any discerning traveller would be sure to spend days of their trip cruising in Ikebukuro so the post offices there are a must :D

(You can also use them to post back your excess purchases, using the cash you withdrew from the machine! Wonderful~!)

R, who knows the pain of picking what she is certain will be the 'best rate' only to lose out on hundreds of yen (!!) a few days later ;_:

Do cashpoints not charge you some sort of horrendous fee for using a foreign card / withdrawing from an account not in the local currency? I can remember when I went to Canada they did, but that was a few years ago now.

Rui said:
ilmaestro said:

HSBC withdrew from Japan IIRC, Citibank is good but limited to certain locations, and 7-Elevens are few and far between even in places like Ikebukuro
Thinking back, I didn't actually use anything other than 7-Eleven last year due to it being so convenient and was wondering why the large HSBC outside the station wasn't there any more, so I guess I'm not as surprised as I thought I would be to see that there aren't any HSBC branches left. There still seem to be about eight million 7-Elevens with ATMs though, looking at this page: http://www.sej.co.jp/shop/index.html.

Yes i had the idea that the airport its one of the worst places to change money so i will still keep that in mind. I have read about city bank atms or post office as this last one being the best to change or withdraw money.

I will check a few shops in here to see whos given best rate and start changing in the next 2 weeks i guess since its only 4 weeks left to go.

So.... got a few yens already and Im leaving in around 2 weeks :D

Im starting to plan a route already, got a big list of stuff to visit. Just need to start taking a deeper look into the subway lines so i can track where to go and so on.

I will post some pics for sure, since the other 2 guys promised and didnt do it :p Just not sure if i can post it while im there but Ill post a few when Im back for sure.

I feel this is my thread atm... :\

I was thinking about going on these sight seeing buses in one of the days and Im checking a few companies. Does anyone went in one already so i can get an opinion?

Well, it's your holiday. So long as you bring back some pictures then it's fine to post a lot :D

I have only been on one bus sightseeing tour (Hakone/Mount Fuji), well over a decade ago (I don't remember it well). I prefer wandering around on my own, but if you want to see the big sites the tours do have the advantage of multilingual guides who can help you get the most out of the trip.

I seem to recall that there are a large number of 'goodwill' guides spread around Japan; normal people who show foreign visitors around Japan in their spare time. While it's not something I'd ever try myself, you might find that an interesting way to go.

R

I remembered this sightseeing bus but just for 1 day of the trip, like morning of afternoon, cause i wanna walk by myself too and thats why i didnt decide to go on a tour trip in the first place. I will check these buses in the next few days but I just want to use it for a few hours, dont plan to do it all holidays. Might get a bus to check mt fuji too. If not, Ill do it next time.

Back