Sky Channel Anime

alexrose1uk

Straw Hat Pirate
Pretty sure Fist of the North Star and a few others used to be on very late night Channel 4 although this was years back.

Edit: another I remember was Medabots.

Seriously though, I never realised some of the above list had been on; must have been way before I got Sky. I'd imagine Elfen Lied was probably hacked to death to get it on to, I know they couldnt actually really show it in the states.


Apart from Pokemon when I was young, and the other similar Shounen shows, I don't remember ever noticing the more adult shows airing on anything :(
Shame, if it'd been in the last few years I'd probably have taken a look.
 

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
You just reminded me of Mezzo DSA. Damn I loved that show when it was airing.

To add to that list, we have Ghibli movies shown now and again by Film 4, and more rarely, the BBC.
 

Animefreak17

Godhand
@alexrose1uk to be honest elfen lied wasn't cut on tv and it was shown late at 10.30 ( I think ) anyways it shown after guyver i think on perpeller tv and after watching elfen lied i was scared and i felt sorry for all the characters in this series and i have a hate for lucy *altho i feel sorry for her too* but i feel sorry for mew.

anyways elfen lied wasn't hacked or cut i even checked when i got it on dvd it showed everything from the bloody violence to the off screen child molesting to the nude scenes.

in the episode where Mayu * off screen is molested* and you can see she has had a hard times and at the end of the episode * which wasn't in the dvd* was notice saying - if you have any concerns about this episode or something similar thats happened to you or some body you know call-

at least they showed some concerns.

*ADV Films said the series was one of their bestselling and "most notorious" releases of 2005*
 

alexrose1uk

Straw Hat Pirate
Hah, that kinda surprises me, I remember hearing about how it couldn't be aired on Adult Swim in the states because of all the cuts that would have to be made to allow it to suit american regulations; and whilst theres are somewhat different to ours, they're not WAY different.

Elfen Lied is a favourite of mine, simply because it doesn't shy away from a lot of hard and uncomfortable themes, and demonstrated to me quite seriously you could make an adult show, with heavy themes in the animated medium; and that sometimes anime doesn't shy away from themes or controversial topics that western studios and producers will.

Its by far and away not perfect, but it definately has a place in my favourites for helping open my eyes to the medium as a brand of story telling that can tell a perfectly adult story regardless of being animated.

I have the ADV singles release rather than the box set, unfortunately it was after ADV had already folded so my purchase didnt help them in that sense.


Shame I missed all those shows though; I've got Mezzo on my shelf waiting for a watch and I'm watching Planetes now, so sounds like I missed out when they were airing!
 

Animefreak17

Godhand
@alexrose1uk i agree perfectly adult story regardless of being animated. when i was a noob at anime elfen lied was one of first series i think it was my 10-15th series i watched. i knew some animes had violence but elfen lied took it to a completely different level i was like.............................. after watch lucy rip nana apart ..............................OMG at first iwas like show me violence but after rewatching it i was like no lucy dont hurt nana. and i do like how animes like elfen lied take on the subjects in this anime. yeah you see touchy subjects on tv all the time but seeing them in anime is great.
the boxsets beautiful.
who says animations for only kids lol (shut up its not just for kids)
elfen lied was on porpller tv *i cant spell it* i knew we had adult swim but we didn't have anime on our adult swim the us adult swim had loads
 

Taka88

Kiznaiver
I remember only BBC shown to Anime films . They did shown subtitles. A week ago, ITV did to show Yu-Gi-Oh film. Disney XD always show Pokemon. I not sure X-MEN is anime or cartoon.
 

Animefreak17

Godhand
Taka88 said:
I remember only BBC shown to Anime films . They did shown subtitles. A week ago, ITV did to show Yu-Gi-Oh film. Disney XD always show Pokemon. I not sure X-MEN is anime or cartoon.
its originally western cartoon.................but they made it in to a anime
 

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
animefreak17 said:
Taka88 said:
I remember only BBC shown to Anime films . They did shown subtitles. A week ago, ITV did to show Yu-Gi-Oh film. Disney XD always show Pokemon. I not sure X-MEN is anime or cartoon.
its originally western cartoon.................but they made it in to a anime
To be more exact, the X-Men anime isn't adapted from that cartoon. Remember, it was comics first. The anime is basically taking the X-Men characters and making a story for a Japanese audience.
 

Vashdaman

Za Warudo
Or maybe their making it for a western audience that likes Japanese cartoons lol. The original xmen cartoons were great though and Spiderman too.
 

Animefreak17

Godhand
Joshawott said:
animefreak17 said:
Taka88 said:
I remember only BBC shown to Anime films . They did shown subtitles. A week ago, ITV did to show Yu-Gi-Oh film. Disney XD always show Pokemon. I not sure X-MEN is anime or cartoon.
its originally western cartoon.................but they made it in to a anime
To be more exact, the X-Men anime isn't adapted from that cartoon. Remember, it was comics first. The anime is basically taking the X-Men characters and making a story for a Japanese audience.

yeah what you said
 

Project-2501

Straw Hat Pirate
alexrose1uk said:
Seriously though, I never realised some of the above list had been on; must have been way before I got Sky. I'd imagine Elfen Lied was probably hacked to death to get it on to, I know they couldnt actually really show it in the states.

TAN UK showed the US TV broadcast edit of Elfen Lied which had the shot where Mayu pulls down her skirt and bends over for her step dad shortened. That was the only cut. This was used to save money but I'm told they could have shown the UK DVD version without issues.
 

alexrose1uk

Straw Hat Pirate
Strange, I remember reading/hearing a fairly serious interview with one of the top bods of Adult Swim US who'd stated they couldn't show it; they'd wanted to but would have had to make too many edits.

If thats incorrect, then never mind.
 

Paradox295

Pokémon Master
animefreak17 said:
^ we should hang pedos
Uh. Erm. Right-o.

alexrose1uk said:
Strange, I remember reading/hearing a fairly serious interview with one of the top bods of Adult Swim US who'd stated they couldn't show it; they'd wanted to but would have had to make too many edits.

If thats incorrect, then never mind.
Yeah, that was Kim. She's like head of aquisitions or something. But she's basically in charge of what anime gets aired on AS.

But, AS couldn't air it since it's basic cable. Anime Network aired it because it's a subscription type deal like HBO or AMC.
 

Animefreak17

Godhand
^ sorry but when in reality or in a anime it pisses me off to see something that horrible happen to children.

i know im off subject but in elfen lied where mayu is being touched by her step father it makes ya think ...............* this sort of thing is happening somewhere in the world to little kids* its a touchy subject but it was played out nicely in elfen lied and im glad that the presenters of elfen lied gave the viewers a contact number after the episode.

i really wish we had more anime on tv............... i bet dragon ball kai would be bad ass over here
 
Top