Simulwatch Planning Thread - Suggest & Discuss

Aparently theres an Australian blu ray release as well. I've ordered it on up1 so well see if it turns up in time.

Aparently theres an Australian blu ray release as well. I've ordered it on up1 so well see if it turns up in time.
Awesome. Well, we'll just delay the encore day for its arrival if we need to. 🙂

I can promise you very good things from this collection, dude: the first episode is classic Kon-style delusionism, part two is a zany black comedy about biological warfare, and part three is an experimental short by Katsuhiro Ōtomo set in a totalitarian state. Dead chuffed to get to watch it with you. 👍

Would be up for that, I've only ever seen Stink Bomb - never seen the other two segements. Interestingly, Retro Crush has it on their service, although it's region locked.

Retro Crush has it on their service
Double post, but hold on a minute! It's got Project A-ko and Gunbuster 2 on it?!?

I remember reading about a proposed retro streaming service a while ago, but I had no idea that it even had a name yet, never mind that it had actually already launched!

Any idea whether the above two are available to watch in the UK? (I'm too short on mobile data to be able to check right now. 😬)

Double post, but hold on a minute! It's got Project A-ko and Gunbuster 2 on it?!?

I remember reading about a proposed retro streaming service a while ago, but I had no idea that it even had a name yet, never mind that it had actually already launched!

Any idea whether the above two are available to watch in the UK? (I'm too short on mobile data to be able to check right now. 😬)
Retro crush launched in the USA only. They said they hope to become available in other territories but dont think they have yet.

@WMD, @Professor Irony, @HWR, @D1tchd1gger, @Arbalest:

I've added the encore of Memories to the simulwatch schedule, and I've spread the three parts across three days if that's okay, because they're each worthy of discussion on their own merits, I think. Dates are TBC at the moment.

WMD: Gimme a heads-up when your copy arrives, dude? I'm not always up to date with the What Did You Receive thread.

@WMD, @Professor Irony, @HWR, @D1tchd1gger, @Arbalest:

I've added the encore of Memories to the simulwatch schedule, and I've spread the three parts across three days if that's okay, because they're each worthy of discussion on their own merits, I think. Dates are TBC at the moment.

WMD: Gimme a heads-up when your copy arrives, dude? I'm not always up to date with the What Did You Receive thread.
Yeah will do. Are we going to watch Paranoia Agent after Lain? If so the Memories episodes could fit on rest days of that. Just an idea.

Also as an aside my copy of Millennium Actress was only just shipped today so my comments on it may end up a day or two late but it's no big deal.

I don’t have a copy of Memories so would probably skip those, same with Millennium Actress tomorrow. I may be able to get the Blu of Paprika before we watch that though-will let you know if I source a copy.

As for Paranoia Agent, I may wait for Funimation’s Blu Ray release before I rewatch.

Howdy again, simulwatch folks. Just going back to WMD's post...
Are we going to watch Paranoia Agent after Lain? If so the Memories episodes could fit on rest days of that. Just an idea.
... I've taken the liberty of drafting up an opening post for a future thread for this, just to give y'all an extra-early heads-up. If there are any objections, well, you know what to do:
Ace%2B0.png

"Igi ari!"

(Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney, calling "Objection!" was nothing to do with the actual simulwatch, though, was it? Umm... 😅)

Since @WMD's got his copy of Memories now, and we're onto the home straight with Lain tomorrow, I set up this thread in preparation:
How is it for y'all? Dates are TBC.

Since @WMD's got his copy of Memories now, and we're onto the home straight with Lain tomorrow, I set up this thread in preparation:
How is it for y'all? Dates are TBC.
Yeah that looks to me. In principle I'm happy to go into it straight after Lain, but whatever works best for everyone.

I'm guessing this might be a bit too insensitive to actually make into a simulwatch, but I was thinking of watching Barefoot Gen soon as the 75th anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing is coming up.

As for Paranoia Agent/Memories I haven't got either, but I have seen PA fairly recently, when it was streaming so will probably just read along.
I always remember Memories being in Blockbuster randomly, maybe because of the Otomo connection. I can't remember if I ever watched it, but I'm pretty sure I did hire out Steamboy.

I’ll be reading along for Paranoia Agent too as I’m waiting for the upcoming Blu Ray release before I rewatch - looking forward to reading people’s thoughts on it!

Is this a new US Blu-ray? Any chance of it getting re-BBFC'd and released here, maybe? Whose release is it?
Yeah it’s getting a release from Funimation in the US. Not sure if it’ll be Region free or not. I hope it can get a release here in an uncut format.

I hope it can get a release here in an uncut format.
Hear, hear. It needs it badly. It's the year 2020 now.

I'm guessing this might be a bit too insensitive to actually make into a simulwatch, but I was thinking of watching Barefoot Gen soon as the 75th anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing is coming up.
I wouldn't say it's insensitive at all; I think that's very respectful, actually. I've got the UK DVD of the film and its sequel, and I've only seen them once each, so it would also be an opportunity to watch them again.

Back