Simulwatch Planning Thread - Suggest & Discuss

This all seems perfectly fine, yeah. I agree with HWR about Tokyo Godfathers feeling more like a Christmas film though, I might skip that for now (although I'll read the comments for sure).

I'd also forgotten Lain was only 13 eps, I remembered it being 2 cour for some reason.

Not sure that I’d watch Tokyo Godfathers
I agree with HWR about Tokyo Godfathers feeling more like a Christmas film though, I might skip that for now
So, @WMD, @D1tchd1gger, @Arbalest, @ayase: what's your stance on Tokyo Godfathers here? I mean, I'd watch it just because it's a Satoshi Kon film, personally, plus I haven't watched my Blu-ray copy of it yet.

(For what it's worth, by the way, MAL says that Tokyo Godfathers came out in early November of 2003, so not quite at Christmas.)

So, @WMD, @D1tchd1gger, @Arbalest, @ayase: what's your stance on Tokyo Godfathers here? I mean, I'd watch it just because it's a Satoshi Kon film, personally, plus I haven't watched my Blu-ray copy of it yet.

(For what it's worth, by the way, MAL says that Tokyo Godfathers came out in early November of 2003, so not quite at Christmas.)
I'm happy to watch it. I've only seen it once a long time ago now.

The story itself is set during Christmas Eve, hence why I view it as a film to watch during the holiday season, same as Die Hard or Gremlins, films that are also set during Christmas but are also of other genres (action and horror-comedy respectively.)

I’m happy to watch the rest of Kon’s works as the ones I’ve seen have been great! Would need to get copies of Paprika and Millenium Actress unless I can watch them via a streaming service?

I just checked the Legal Streaming thread, but neither are listed there, I'm afraid.
Ah well this is a good time to pick those titles up I suppose (Millennium Actress has a US Blu Ray release I can try to source whilst Manga has Paprika out in the UK).

On the topic of Satoshi Kon, would anybody be interested in doing a simulatch of Paranoia Agent at some point? (Forgive me if this has already been suggested.)

Don't mind. Didn't watch it Christmas just gone, so haven't seen it for a year and a half.
I think it's like the Fairy Tale of New York, so good you watch/listen when ever!

Firstly, i'm okay either way with Tokyo Godfathers, i bizarrely don't own it so i wouldn't be fully against leaving it out, purely on the basis i can't watch it. But agree it does have that christmas vibe which suits it better to that season over July. Just a thought, i know he was only on animation with the film, but would we want to replace it with, say , Roujin Z?

Also - Paranoia Agent would be a great choice, happy to give it a watch

Just a thought, i know he was only on animation with the film, but would we want to replace it with, say , Roujin Z?
That is a curveball, and I like it. I have a copy of Roujin Z, so I'd be good with that. I'd reshuffle the order to keep the films chronological if Tokyo Godfathers was removed.

Thoughts, folks?

I'm still happy to watch it. As part of a set looking at his films I think it's nice to do the full works. That way we can properly assess the style and changes through his career.

The only xmas film I'm particularly bothered about only watching at xmas is The Muppets Christmas Carol. The finest xmas film.

I'm still happy to watch it. As part of a set looking at his films I think it's nice to do the full works. That way we can properly assess the style and changes through his career.

The only xmas film I'm particularly bothered about only watching at xmas is The Muppets Christmas Carol. The finest xmas film.
Muppets Christmas Carol Simulwatch circa December too?

How about this as an idea, then?

Episode/filmDate (July)
Lain #1Fri 3
Lain #2Sat 4
Perfect BlueSun 5
Lain #3Tue 7
Lain #4Wed 8
Millennium ActressFri 10
Lain #5Sun 12
Lain #6Mon 13
Lain #7Tue 14
Tokyo Godfathers/Roujin ZThu 16
Lain #8Sat 18
Lain #9Sun 19
Lain #10Mon 20
PaprikaWed 22
Lain #11Fri 24
Lain #12Sat 25
Lain #13Sun 26

Thursday 16th July can be a choice of film. Those who want to watch Tokyo Godfathers can, and those who don't can have Roujin Z as an alternative. There'll be a three-day window, so you could even watch both if you wanted to.

It's a bit of a new element for our simulwatch, but how about it?

Hi, all. I've taken the liberty of posting a thread for our next simulwatch:

Let me know here of any issues or fixes/adjustments needed. 👍

Hiya, folks. Just wanted to use the first rest day of the simulwatch to float an idea. Would anyone be at all interested in an idea for an encore after the last episode of Lain? I was looking at my copy of Roujin Z, and right next to it on the shelf is my copy of a short-film anthology called Memories. The first of the three animations it includes is called Magnetic Rose, and Satoshi Kon was the art director for it; he also wrote the script and did layout work. The overall project was helmed by Katsuhiro Ōtomo.

I thought it might fit with our simulwatch, so I thought I'd at least bring it up. It's probably even harder to get ahold of than Roujin Z, though: its only UK release, for example, is a DVD from Sony's old Animax label. This being the case, I won't be in the slightest bit offended if it's deemed a bit too obscure to be included. 🙂

Back