Simulwatch - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water [final ep - 39]

Re: Simulwatch - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water [current ep - 25/26]

Finally got the last of the pre-filler eps in.

Ep21

Seeing the recap at the start, it occurred to me to wonder if the checkered floor in Gargoyle's sanctuary might be an allusion to the masons. I am overthinking this.

Half expected to see Grandis's gang change into a little twinkling star after zooming away there, but that might just have been too flippant, given the gravitas of the situation.

I really wanted there to be an Itano circus motion in those missle launches and, given that we're dealing with Gainax here, I'm genuinely surprised there wasn't. I think I'm just straining too hard to spot references though, because Sanson's 'miracle shot' out of the open roof made me think of Jigen making a similar shot during The Castle of Cagliostro's famous car chase.

Ep22

Oh boy. If I were susceptible to the thing you humans call 'feels', I'd probably be having a lot of them now. Nadia flat out rejecting Nemo was a little heartbreaker.

More atomic-bomb imagery too. I think any last misconceptions about this series being aimed primarily at children probably went out the window around the time Electra's brother's body broke apart in her arms.

I know Gainax came back to the black & white charcoal type look later on, but am I right in saying they started that with Gunbuster? Just curious as to when they first used the technique.

BanzaiJedi said:
I am surprised that both Nemo and Electra survived that showdown though, I genuinely expected one of them to die.

I was equally surprised by this (and would have put a small amount of money on it being Electra). The series is clearly not afraid to go to some dark places, but perhaps that would have been just a step too far.

Re: Simulwatch - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water [current ep - 25/26]

Professor Irony said:
I was equally surprised by this (and would have put a small amount of money on it being Electra). The series is clearly not afraid to go to some dark places, but perhaps that would have been just a step too far.

Apparantly NHK didn't seem to agree with the direction that Anno was going, though, or something. I still can't fathom how Nadia could jarringly go from being dark and serious to bizarre cartoonish, misogynistic nonsense.

Re: Simulwatch - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water [current ep - 27/28]

Professor Irony said:
I wouldn't expect Nemo to kill Electra but I'm kind of glad he moves fast. I think it maybe works better this way, Electra dying here might have seemed too easy.

People talking about previous episodes reminds me of the good times, it makes things a little easier.

Episode 27
I guess they ran out of wacky dream sequence ideas so it's mostly time spent trying to undermine the characters. They're not even putting much effort into that anymore.

The (new) narrator is even bored of the filler. It seems like everyone is tired, maybe I'm just projecting.

Episode 28
Nice to see Grandis' crew back, even if it is under unusual circumstances.

Nadia is back to not hating them even. There are parts of this episode that seemed like they might have been made by people that have at least watched the episodes before the filler.

Now that I think of it, didn't Nadia cook some non-deadly food in a previous episode? I thought she made the food for Jean when he was inventing. I know she initially struggled to learn to cook but I figured Grandis had been teaching her.

I'm not entirely sure why Ayerton turned up, just to fill time I guess.

It's kind of interesting the way these filler episodes go. I think most of them have a moment or two that looks like it might have worked in the show but they get somewhat buried in the stupidity that seems mostly designed to pass the time. Unfortunately, the stupidity also undermines the moments a bit.

Re: Simulwatch - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water [current ep - 27/28]

Smeelia said:
Now that I think of it, didn't Nadia cook some non-deadly food in a previous episode? I thought she made the food for Jean when he was inventing. I know she initially struggled to learn to cook but I figured Grandis had been teaching her.

She did. Way back in episode 17 she brought him some seaweed.

Re: Simulwatch - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water [current ep - 29]

Episode 29
This one is mostly just wasting time.

Since they're doing less, the characters have less opportunity to be out of character. Ayerton is the most different in this episode but arguably he's a lot more like the original Ayerton, he even pretends to not be a chef and comes up with excuses for why he's good at cooking.

I could see Sanson and Hanson getting fed up with each other and getting into a silly contest. The actual contest itself is maybe a bit too silly though.

Nothing much happens really. Jean finds something metal in the ocean but the episode doesn't really make anything of it and instead it chooses to end with everyone worrying that Jean has drowned but then finding that he didn't.

So apparently the next two episodes are supposed to be better, should be interesting.

ep27
Jean is mixing in meat to Nadias food... Probably not a good idea...

She eats them...

Jean regrets tricking Nadia...

It's dragging again...

Kings headgear was kind of amusing.

Nadia wants to leave now.

Suddenly. An island appears.

Who could these kings of terror be?

ep28
Ah... it's team rocket...

very fillery.

Sanson backstory has same value... but only lasts a few seconds.

ep29
Some general Hanson vs Sanson stuff.

Some Nadia talking to animals backstory.

Jean has another wiley coyote moment.

Episodes 30 and 31 are thankfully, a little -- note: A LITTLE -- better than these past seven episodes, but that's not because they're anything truly amazing. It's because they're the least offensive of the filler episodes.

Episode 30's last five minutes are noteworthy because they lead into the plot for episode 31. Otherwise you'll have to grit your teeth and sit through more fillery stuff, although here it doesn't seem SO drastically out of character. Jean and Nadia have some nice little moments in this together. However, I don't approve of Ayerton falling for Grandis OR seducing her, much less the whole headman/Gratan piloted by boars goofiness. Take all that out and this would be a heck of a better episode.

Episode 31: Probably the best of the island episodes, and arguably the only saving grace. Here we finally get more backstory about Atlantis and we learn about how Nadia is connected to them. It also builds to one of the strongest and most touching moments involving her feelings for Jean. :) On the flip side, this cannot be considered one of the better episodes in the show because it still suffers from some poor animation and occasional goofiness, like King helping to sew the balloon; again, he's supposed to be a lion, not a human; Grandis giving Ayerton a beating that sends him into the sky (again, very stupid and cartoonish), Jean's eyes becoming cartoonishly dizzy after ramming into a barrier and falling, Sanson getting a swelling fist after trying to punch through said barrier, and a brief out of place moment where Marie holds dolls of Jean and Nadia. Again, this is all unnecessary. Lose all that and this would be perfect, or at least near perfect.

^ I know I I know

-_- I wish they got back to the plot and left the cartoon humour out

animefreak17 said:
^ I know I I know

-_- I wish they got back to the plot and left the cartoon humour out

Regrettably, after episodes 30 and 31, the show sinks to a whole new low with episodes 32-34 before finally coming back to greatness with episodes 35-39.

JTurner said:
Regrettably, after episodes 30 and 31, the show sinks to a whole new low with episodes 32-34 before finally coming back to greatness with episodes 35-39.
It's depressing to think I'm only halfway through the filler. Even more depressing to think that only five of the remaining ten episodes will even be worth watching.

Ep 25-28
I'll just echo everyone else's sentiments in saying that this 'character assassination arc' (as I now call it) is a genuine travesty against what was a wonderful series. If I could burn it from my memory then I would, but alas I will always remember it precisely because of it's terribleness.

BanzaiJedi said:
JTurner said:
It's depressing to think I'm only halfway through the filler. Even more depressing to think that only five of the remaining ten episodes will even be worth watching.

Ep 25-28
I'll just echo everyone else's sentiments in saying that this 'character assassination arc' (as I now call it) is a genuine travesty against what was a wonderful series. If I could burn it from my memory then I would, but alas I will always remember it precisely because of it's terribleness.

Well you know, nobody said you HAD to watch these episodes. You can always skip them. Especially 32-34.

Re: Simulwatch - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water [current ep - 30]

It would always annoy me knowing that I had never truly watched the series if I skipped some episodes, so I will continue regardless. I think I might try the English dub for the next ep or two, just to make things at least a little bit more interesting.

BanzaiJedi said:
It would always annoy me knowing that I had never truly watched the series if I skipped some episodes, so I will continue regardless. I think I might try the English dub for the next ep or two, just to make things at least a little bit more interesting.

OK, but don't say I didn't warn you. 32-34 are the worst; one watch of them and you'll wish you never became a fan of the show, trust me.

Definitely give the dub a shot. It's an excellent effort, and the kids were actually voiced by kids. The only caveat is that the accents are iffy, but the performances are really good and full of emotion and heart.

Episode 30
Oh My God!

Not as good as the earlier one but that moment was kind of amusing.

It's a shame pretty much everything else in the episode is lacking. I wonder if people like this one more because it has some sort of hint of possibly returning to the main story at the end (though very briefly). It could also be the Nadia fanservice since she spends most of the episode just wrapped in a piece of cloth and occasionally posing, then she even loses the cloth in the end.

I'm not sure why Ayerton felt he had to steal the Gratan and basically kidnap Grandis just to propose to her. It's also possible he was trying to rape her, I'm really not sure what was going on there or what they were thinking.

I was trying to remember if Nadia dealt with the subject of insects in the real episodes, she certainly seems content to murder them without hesitation or remorse here. If she's willing to die of hunger rather than kill you'd think she could stand a bit of discomfort. I guess they just didn't think about it, which would be pretty standard for these episodes.

The island turns out to be a carrier full of Nautiluses (Nautili?). I wonder if it's where Nemo got his, although I don't think he'd have just left it loose since it'd be pretty bad if Gargoyle got his hands on it. It's kind of a shame that it makes the Nautilus a bit less unique but I suppose it's kind of consistent with the escalation in the main show.

Smeelia said:
Episode 30
Oh My God!

Not as good as the earlier one but that moment was kind of amusing.

Which moment?

As for the mosquitoes thing, I assume that that is slowly her beginning to grow out of her uber stance of non-killing, not only in terms of smacking the insects to death, but later on at the end she tells Gargoyle that she wants to destroy him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ep 29 & 30 English dub.

These episodes were more tolerable than I expected mainly because there was a lot of Sanson and Hanson in these episodes. In the English dub Sanson and Hanson's voice's are perfect, they just sound completely right and fit the characters so well. In fact most of the voice acting is really good, though Jean sounds a bit strange (I think the actor is trying to put on a French accent but he just sounds like an American eating a toffee most of the time). I think I'll stick with the English dub until the filler is done, at least I can tolerate the cartoony silliness better this way.

Even Robo-King has giant balls :lol:
And King urinating on Ayerton's head :lol:

As I suspected, episodes 23-30 provided an excellent background to my afternoon of housework. I can see why Anno said "these aren't canon" They ruined Nadia so much. I know she's strong willed, but there's a line between being strong willed and just being a stubborn brat.

Episode 31 was interesting though. (watching ahead as I won't have time tomorrow) I'm not surprised Nadia turned out to be "the princess from another world". It seemed like that's where this type of show always goes.

Last edited by a moderator:

JTurner said:
Which moment?
I was referring to the bit where Sanson and Hanson go off the cliff in the Gratan II and shout "Oh My God!". We discussed the subject earlier when it came up in the episode with Marie on the rail tracks.

I don't think Nadia could/would/should "grow out of" her stance against killing. Her beliefs may be unusual but they're clearly important to her and I think the idea that she really would like everyone to be able to live happily together is a key part of her character. It does also help explain why she's angry and frustrated so much of the time, her ideals seem so far away from becoming reality and most people treat them as impossible. She often talks about how much she hates people but I think it's more that she angry about the way they act and perhaps more so because she does care about them (sort of like the way a child might say they "hate" a parent).

Smeelia said:
JTurner said:
Which moment?
I was referring to the bit where Sanson and Hanson go off the cliff in the Gratan II and shout "Oh My God!". We discussed the subject earlier when it came up in the episode with Marie on the rail tracks.

I don't think Nadia could/would/should "grow out of" her stance against killing. Her beliefs may be unusual but they're clearly important to her and I think the idea that she really would like everyone to be able to live happily together is a key part of her character. It does also help explain why she's angry and frustrated so much of the time, her ideals seem so far away from becoming reality and most people treat them as impossible. She often talks about how much she hates people but I think it's more that she angry about the way they act and perhaps more so because she does care about them (sort of like the way a child might say they "hate" a parent).

I'm not necessarily implying that at all, that was just a guess. Either way, it WAS odd that Nadia smacks the mosquitoes. I don't even know WHY she does that. The filler episodes just butchered Nadia's character beyond redemption; she's much less unsympathetic in the canonical episodes and has a conscience about her outbursts, hence why she makes amends with Jean again and again. The filler arc, on the other hand, throws that out of the window.

JTurner said:
I'm not necessarily implying that at all, that was just a guess. Either way, it WAS odd that Nadia smacks the mosquitoes. I don't even know WHY she does that. The filler episodes just butchered Nadia's character beyond redemption; she's much less unsympathetic in the canonical episodes and has a conscience about her outbursts, hence why she makes amends with Jean again and again. The filler arc, on the other hand, throws that out of the window.
Well, indeed. I'd suspect it really is a case of bad writing, where the writers didn't consider that insects are technically alive and it thus never occurred to them that Nadia might have a problem with murdering them. They had an idea for an "event" and went with it without regard to the characters or what has come before (that pretty much sums up most of what happens in the filler).

If they had thought of it I think they'd have at least done something with it, even if that something was having Jean taunt Nadia about it in another totally out of character moment. Maybe it's better that they at least didn't do that.

Back