Scenes that make you cry (spoilers)

theunderfiend

Brigade Leader
Ok it's been a while since I was here but I have been a bit busy.

But anyway what I want to know is what scenes in anime make you cry (or come close to it) no matter how many times you watch them?

personally I would have to say it is this emotional outburst by Naruto
where he lashes out in response not only to the heartache and lonliness that Gaara felt as a Jinchuuriki but also, as you can tell by the way he uses the word "us" and not "he" as the pain he has also felt his entire life.

skip to about 1:30 if you don't feel like waiting. Oh and I have seen pretty much all of Naruto Shippuden (what has been released so far) so I know what happens with Gaara, even still this gets me everytime because like I said Naruto is speaking about himself as much as he is for his friend and fellow Jinchuuriki Gaara.

Plus Gaara is my fave character so seeing him like that is very upsetting as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSAtYM7rFZE

lol, okay I added the word spoilers to the title . But to be fair scenes do tend to have spoilers in them

Oh and (yes this will have another spoiler in it) but there is also this scene from Naruto Shippuden where Sakura gets to see what Naruto has been fighting to stop becoming for most of his life

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1SPH76a_pSs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1SPH76a_pSs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator:
haha, yeah a spoiler warning would be nice.

Anywhoo.. on topic

The end of Fate / Stay Night and Chrono Crusade (anime) were touching moments

haven't seen those...yet, but I will one day.

You see it is scenes like these that are the reason I prefer anime over western toons. I mean I love western toons but if you asked ppl to name some you would probably get the answer Spongebob, Looney Tunes or even TMNT and many more toons that while great are not known for their emotional depth.

Anime is better because the characters are usually much better developed so that when things happen to them you really do get involved...probably more than is healthy.

This is also why I still don't understand those who say they hate anime because how can you hate something that puts so much character into..well their characters?

A couple of points in Kanon nearly had me gushing the closest was around eps 9 and 10 when Makoto is sort of dying/disappearing in Yuichi's arms . It is almost like watching someone with Alzheimer’s dying in front of you.

Grave of the Fireflies nearly had me I started to feel the emotion but it did not drive me all the way.

A strange one now, when I first saw it the Tenchi Muyo episode when you think Ryoko is going off to die.

Guys when using spoiler tags please specify what the series you're about to spoil is then hide the actual spoiler, so people who haven't seen every series ever made can still join in. Dracos has done it quite neatly.

I'll edit all existing posts to show what I mean and to avoid wrecking your thread. It's a good idea for a topic, it's just some people are going to freak out when they click it!

(I had to change the first video to a URL as the embedded title was a pretty enormous spoiler on its own, sorry about that - not your fault how they named the video!)

R

To add one of my own, in Gundam Seed my heart broke when La Flaga sacrificed himself; more for Murrue's sake than his.

I cry like a baby whenever something bad happens to characters I like, though.

R

There's a scene in the Tenchi Muyo episode, Hello! Baby, where the gang are babysitting for Tenchi's aunt. Mihoshi has little Taro in her arms, he's crying. She's trying to calm him down. It doesn't work, and she winds up crying as well.

I'm like that. I can't bear to see kids cry.

There's this scene in Spirited Away, if you've seen it, you'll know which bit. Gets me everytime.

Dracos said:
Grave of the Fireflies nearly had me I started to feel the emotion but it did not drive me all the way.

Yeah me to with that one, close but not quite there.

Those Naruto ones I posted do do the trick however. I mean I don't start bawling like a baby and do really heavy sobbing but all the same I am definitely crying.

Funny thing is that when I hear about bad stuff happening to real ppl while I am shocked my emotions never go beyond that and I pretty much never cry about it...so why then can I not stop the tears flowing when I watch those two scenes? Either I am crazy (as ppl seem to suspect) or it just goes to show what I said earlier...anime has more heart than other toons (or even live action shows), even comedy ninja toons... like Naruto

Not trying to act tough or anything, but I'm not really one to cry when I'm seriously upset. I'm more inclined to just go quiet and start staring at walls..

If we're judging by that standard, then for me it's:

Welcome to the NHK - the end, when everyone moves away form Satou and he stops seeing Misaki
Serial Experiments Lain - after Lain traumatises Arisu and decides to erase herself from everyones memory.
Black Lagoon - the start of the second barrage, when you find out why the twins are murderous psychos
Planetes - Tanabe meeting Hachimaki again in a wheelchair at the end

Some of the above you could argue are more depressing or disturbing than tearful, but they're still in that general area for me.

Since I'm a sucker for heroism (not the cheesy shounen type, more like Bernard Cornwell - Warlord Trilogy, the last bit about Derfel), despair and resignation, a few titles that proper devastated me are:
-Gungrave (anyone with a trace of testosterone would say that the ending's made of pure camaraderie)
-Saikano (I didn't like the whole Chise/Shuuji melodrama, but hell, the last episode had the best apocalypse I have ever seen, such amazing timing)
-Utawarerumono (again, resignation)
-Random unending shounen title (every time I'm reminded that there was a time when I enjoyed it, burst into tears)

Honestly, anything does it for me with the heroic last stand => tragic death combination (mustn't be cheesy though), or apocalypse of course. :D

Derfel said:
-Gungrave (anyone with a trace of testosterone would say that the ending's made of pure camaraderie)

Oh yes, almost forgot that one. The ending and the episode 'DIE' in the middle of the series really shook me up.

I've had quite a few of such moments, but I'll only mention the ones which have produced the strongest of affects.

My list, in ascending order of affection:

-The ending credits of Five Centimetres per second. The beautiful theme plays as the viewer is left in awe: We've seen and felt the main character's young love in its entirety, and despite the realism the results are thoroughly moving.

-Most of Kanon. The ending of Makoto's arcs and the revelations in the last few episodes regarding Ayu in particular. This series did the eczema around my eyes no favours.

-The ending of Voices of a Distant Star. "I am here". Brief, yet subtly devastating and utterly perfect.

-The climax of my favourite anime, Metropolis. "Ray Charles' button of death", as I like to call it. To this day I don't know of any depiction of tragedy to be so dissonantly beautiful as that of this film. The short musical sequence to which I refer was the starting point of my anime fandom.

I'll admit though, on my first viewing of my top-two tearjerker moments, I wasn't affected very much. It was only on repeat viewings when they began to hit me.
(It should also be noted that I haven't seen Air yet, which explains its absence here.)

Clannad and Fate/Stay Night's ending

But the one that was the worst is certainly Kanon (Major spoiler) With the conclusion of the Makato arc and Ayu's revelation at the end. It always choked me up when Yuichi has that dream where he sees Ayu fall of the tree and sees her slowly die (even though we find out later she actually fainted). When he woke up gasping for air and decided to go back to the tree where it happened always got me crying in the bucket loads.

Zin5ki said:
-The ending credits of Five Centimetres per second. The beautiful theme plays as the viewer is left in awe: We've seen and felt the main character's young love in its entirety, and despite the realism the results are thoroughly moving.

The part of 5 Centimeters Per Second that got me (apart from the end of Cosmosnaut, with Kanae lying there, crying herself to sleep...), was when the song kicks in and the montage at the end starts. The first time I watched it, it caught me completely off-guard. It was that moment that really sealed the film as my favourite.

The scenes that affected me were the endings of Chrono Crusade and Air when I watched them the first time.

Back