Recent Downtime (11/02/2018) – Forum Upgrade

Teapot

Moon Bunny
Administrator
Hi all!

We will be experiencing some short downtime at 9am tomorrow morning (Sunday, 11th February 2018), in order to carry out some planned forum upgrades. This will last roughly 1-2 hours, during which time the forum will be inaccessible. This downtime will not affect the main site, which will remain operational throughout.

This upgrade will move us to the latest major version of our forum software, which means that we will be getting a collection of new features and improvements, as well as a new default look for the forums. In addition, this upgrade will provide the foundation for future improvements to the forum, as well as greater integration with the main section of the site.

EDIT: And we're done! In total the process took about an hour and a quarter, and has given us the following improvements (this is a non-exhaustive list):
  • The site looks different, and the style has been rebuilt from the ground with mobile in mind. This will give us a good framework for a full AUKN theme down the line.
  • We now have a brand new editor, which should help with any bugs you may have experienced when posting or editing messages.
  • The forum now supports emoji, in addition to a new set of regular forum smileys. If you ever feel like your post needs a little extra 👌, you can now add it!
  • The inline spoilers now have their own button on the toolbar. (This button may move around later.)
  • We have a brand new What's New tab, which you can use to see the latest activity across the forum in a handy list.
  • Links from sites including Twitter, Facebook, Imgur, Reddit, Twitch, and so on now embed in your posts automatically when you paste the link. This expands on the previous functionality, which only really worked reliably with YouTube and a couple of other niche sites.
Otherwise, everything should work very similarly to before. Let me know if there's any issues!

Last edited:
I wonder if this might fix a weird issue I've been having with typing stuff on my phone on this forum. I don't seem to have the same thing on other forums.

Oh, have you been getting that as well? I'd assumed it was a faulty upgrade for the Android keyboard, but come to think of it, it's only happening here.
Yeah stuff like thit. If I pickpa word from the predicted words it somesomet adds the start of the word to the een of the word ivI'v started. AlsA it somsometi adds the start of the previous word to the end of the last one instead of one space. And other titim it will put a random letter instead of symsymboeven though it's a different papart of the kekeyboa !

The above was done without going back and editing, which obviously adds time every time I post.

Yeah stuff like thit. If I pickpa word from the predicted words it somesomet adds the start of the word to the een of the word ivI'v started. AlsA it somsometi adds the start of the previous word to the end of the last one instead of one space. And other titim it will put a random letter instead of symsymboeven though it's a different papart of the kekeyboa !

The above was done without going back and editing, which obviously adds time every time I post.

Oddly enough even though I’m on my phone I’ve not been experiencing any of those issues.

I've not seen any such issues on my iPhone X either, so I suspect it's limited to Android. I'll break out my ancient Samsung Galaxy S4 and see if I can figure out a solution if the problem still exists after the upgrade.

I haven't really had any issues on my phone (samsung s7) just I hate autocorrect. forum works as intended on a normal browser.
I've been bored and watching a lot of Doki Doki Litrature club videos on YT so I just want to say, don't put the forum up if it's just monika, I imagine it wouldn't make anyone's day

You guys make me glad to not use android!
They make me glad I just dont use autocorrect

Most of the time its just quicker for me to type rather than wait for the auto correct thing to come up with the word I want... The rest of the time it changes words to something I didn't want and makes my life a living hell

Last time I was forced to use it (I still can't work out how to turn of Sony's Predictive text on the XZ, ended up installing a different keyboard just for the option to turn it off) I got bored of things getting changed when typing fast so went back to my Iphone

Sans serif fonts by default! Only looked at the forum on my phone so far but that’s enough to give the new look my seal of approval.

We can still do strikethrough and inline spoilers, right?

Sans serif fonts by default! Only looked at the forum on my phone so far but that’s enough to give the new look my seal of approval.

We can still do strikethrough and inline spoilers, right?
Yup! :) Strikethrough is back next to the usual bold/italic/underline where it belongs, and the inline spoilers now have their very own button on the toolbar.

Yay, the typing thing on Android seems to be fixed. Shame my avatar pic's now horizontally stretched, though. :( (New emoji.)
That's odd. Try reuploading it? If that doesn't work, I'll see what I can do.

Back