Recent Downtime (06/05/2019) – Forum Upgrade

Teapot

Moon Bunny
Administrator
Hi all!

It's upgrade season again, so like before, we will be experiencing some short downtime starting just after 9am BST tomorrow (Monday, 6th May 2019), in order to apply upgrades to the forums. The forums will be closed while this is happening, so you won't be able to read it or post anything, but the main site will remain live and operational throughout.

We will be moving to a new version of our forum software, which will bring a selection of new features and improvements. These changes will be more minor in nature than last time, but include new features such as a bookmarking system and the ability to type emoji (typing :beer: will produce 🍺, for example. There are other things too, but you'll have to wait to see what they are. ;) It also brings us up to date with the latest performance, security, and reliability fixes,

All in all, we should be done and dusted in 1-2 hours, and I'll be posting updates on the AUKN Twitter as we go along.

See you all tomorrow morning! ;)

Last edited:
And we're back! Total downtime was about 25 minutes this time :)

Things don't look too different, but aside from a few style tweaks, you might notice a few changes:
  • You can now bookmark posts by tapping the icon at the top-right of any post. You can save these with a comment and even label them, to make your collection of anime pout screenshots easier to sort.
  • The smiley-face icon on the editor toolbar now displays emoji. All of them. So if you're on a device without an emoji keyboard (or you're just too used to Discord!), you don't have to be far from your 💁‍♀️ emoji. (You can also type emoji – typing :beer: will produce 🍺, for example.)
  • We now support push notifications! 👀 If you're on a supported browser (anything except Internet Explorer, Safari, and any browser on iOS because Apple refuse to add support), visit your Preferences page and push the 'Enable push notifications' button. This will allow you to receive alerts from the forums directly to your phone. (Don't worry, you can customise what alerts get pushed – so you don't need to be spammed every time someone posts in the industry threads!)
  • You can upload videos directly into posts now. I can't see this getting much use, but the option is there! 🤷‍♀️
  • Links from across the web now unfurl if you paste them on their own – for example, if you paste https://forums.animeuknews.net/threads/recent-downtime-forum-upgrade.16696/ into a message, it will unfurl into this:
  • Lastly, I've added a simple dark theme to the site. You can turn it on by looking in the footer of the page and clicking the style chooser (the paintbrush icon followed by 'AUKN Light' or 'AUKN Dark'). Please be aware that the dark theme is early and incomplete – if anything looks wrong or horrendously ugly, please flag it up so it can be fixed!
There's a few more minor changes too, but most of them are either currently disabled or are fancy developer-facing changes (like the introduction of a full REST API).

Please let me know if there are any issues with the upgrade – everything's still a little fresh and new, so you might run into a few rough edges! Otherwise, I hope you enjoy the new features – and have a great bank holiday Monday!

Last edited:
I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea(pot), but I like the rounded avatar space. The only thing is now that @Neil.T 's Kyon avatar looks even more like a boiled egg, and I've been laughing at it all morning, but...

*Mock dramatic voice* We all have gains and losses from these things! 😂 👍

Top job, @Teapot 👍

Something I'm happy for is the facelift (mainly the rounded avatars, now the kids will not cut themselves!) And the dark mode, I'm using my Samsung's dark mode atm though I'll be checking AUKN's version.
25 minutes of downtime? Didn't finish my cuppa in that time!

Great work as always, i actually like the new font style. Round avatars also look better in my opinion, and hey someone was prepared for that since ages. ☕ (too early for 🍻 ;) )

Looks like the ability to change fonts has been removed unless you manually code it.
Yeah, I took that out in an effort to simplify our ever-burgeoning toolbar. (I find that trying to change the font generally just makes posts less readable anyway, so no great loss.)

Yeah, I took that out in an effort to simply our ever-burgeoning toolbar. (I find that trying to change the font generally just makes posts less readable anyway, so no great loss.)
That's fair. I just found one of the fonts to be more appealing that's all. As such I'll need to sort out maintenance on the threads later today or this week.

My ear got chopped off though:eek:
Like Digger said, something for people to consider with the next one. I'm just gonna leave mine as a harsh reminder of the effects of animal cruelty :confused:

My ear got chopped off though:eek:
Like Digger said, something for people to consider with the next one. I'm just gonna leave mine as a harsh reminder of the effects of animal cruelty :confused:
.... doesn’t yours turn into a gun? Out of all the things that could be cruel I think having a gun form is somewhere at the top

I don't know if it's the dark mode or the new font, but it's fairly difficult to tell read from un-read on the latest posts thread. For example the top one I have read and the rest I haven't:
Maybe a different colour could be used.

I can barely tell unread threads as well.
Seems to have changed already. New is white text (on dark theme), well it's now was as I went back to double check and new posts are now highlighted. I guess @Teapot is fiddling around and seeing what looks best. Oh and now it's back to the earlier version.

White text for new and blue for read seems fine. The highlight seemed a bit too much.

Back