Rate the last movie you watched out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sparrowsabre7 said:
memorium said:
but surely if they are white as well the only thing different is the nationality?

Well jewish people are mostly white and they're still subject to racism as are asians. Just sayin'

Racism is not a black and white topic (sorry I know it's an awful pun but it was there for the making)
actually hate towards jewish people is anti-semitism

and i am fully aware that racism isn't an issue of black and white, and that asians are included, as well as arabs, roma & sinti and mixed race people as well

memorium said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
memorium said:
but surely if they are white as well the only thing different is the nationality?

Well jewish people are mostly white and they're still subject to racism as are asians. Just sayin'

Racism is not a black and white topic (sorry I know it's an awful pun but it was there for the making)

and i am fully aware that racism isn't an issue of black and white, and that asians are included, as well as arabs, roma & sinti and mixed race people as well

Good point, but isn't that like a sub-category of racism? It's the same idea behind it, hate for being different? I'm no expert on the subject.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
memorium said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
memorium said:

Good point, but isn't that like a sub-category of racism? It's the same idea behind it, hate for being different? I'm no expert on the subject.
it is still hate, it doesn't matter if it's misogyny, racism, misanthropy, it's all still hate towards a specific group of people (except misanthropists, they hate everyone)

i think the reason it's classified as something different is because jewish people aren't considered a race anymore, they're more commonly accepted to be a group of religious people nowadays

ilmaestro said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Also Blade Runner Final Cut.

I feel I should give 2 ratings lest I be rended limb from limb.
:)

Haha. Seems I as right to do so. Care to help me better understand what I'm not seeing? I get that it's about humanity and what makes us human, but I think I preferred the way Dark City tackled it, but again that's something that's built off the success of blade runner most likely.

tbh, my immediate reaction of "what is this guy smoking" was when I thought that you didn't just not like it, but didn't see how it was a very well made film. If you appreciate the world building, the pacing, the visual tone and such of the film, but just don't get on with it on a personal level, I don't think there's a lot I can say.

ilmaestro said:
tbh, my immediate reaction of "what is this guy smoking" was when I thought that you didn't just not like it, but didn't see how it was a very well made film. If you appreciate the world building, the pacing, the visual tone and such of the film, but just don't get on with it on a personal level, I don't think there's a lot I can say.

Fair enough. I like the aesthetics and the world and how flawed everyone is, but it just didn't tick my boxes as it were. =/ Ah well, can't like em all.

I'm fully aware that this isn't a "movie" per se, but because of its direction by Scorsese, Buscemi's starring role and just everything about it - I'm putting it down.

Boardwalk Empire (pilot), 10/10.

HBO have needed a show with proper critical acclaim for quite a while now, and this is it. Thankfully, it has the hype and the ratings to sustain itself as well (i.e., this is The Sopranos, not Deadwood). Created by former Sopranos writer Terrance Winter, this 1920 prohibition period drama is just oozing with quality from every angle. Steve Buscemi leads as Nucky, a businessman/gangster/politician thing, and he expectedly lives up to the demands of such an important role, living through almost every sub-story playing out with an interesting charisma that I haven't actually seen him play before. This guy is powerful.

Visually, this show is a stunner. HBO have always been incredible with their budgets, but this is something else. The set is humongous and when flooded with people in costume - wow - brings back memories of the town of Deadwood, actually; just a lot lot bigger. In addition to the visuals, musically... its perfect. It's right. This is a living town, these are real people and I can't wait to get to know them more.

I need more !

If you feel like I've strayed too far off-topic with this, the last film I watched (ignoring the fact its made-for-television) was Disney's Camp Rock 2. It wasn't very good.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

I loved this film. It was always exciting and visually interesting without being cluttered. The editing was deliriously inventive and provided so much energy and mimicked videogame/comic-book aesthetics enforcing the idea that this film is really a gamers incredibly subjective view of life.

The acting was spot on, highlights being Kieran Culkin and Michael Cera and Emma Wong who was so cute.

http://genkinahito.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... the-world/

10/10

Lady Vengeance 8/10

Fantastic movie and one of the most sensorally arresting opening credits ever. Best of the vengeance trilogy in my opinion, it didn't rely on violence as a crutch like the others did and instead focused on the themes. While others would say different the plots of Sympthathy for Mr Vengeance and Oldboy, while interesting, in the end seemed to boil down to an excuse to be violent (Oldboy more than Mr. Vengeance) which is fine, but I think LV's approach was much better.

Rembrandt's J'Accuse

Peter Greenaway proves to be one of Britain's most underrated talents with this little number. A fantastically intriguing and enthralling work that picks apart that most famous painting, The Nightwatch, creating a genuine sense of mystery and wonder over what has become an art staple.

It's one of the best detective stories out there.

9/10

Speed Racer 8/10

Really i don't know why people didn't like this film
In the words of IGN
"Overall, this anime adaptation is not merely the best film that it could be, it's pretty much exactly what it should be

Repo!: The Genetic Opera

Bizarre hybrid of rock opera and horror sci-fi - the concept being a dystopia where organ transplants have become something of a fashion trend, the problem being they can legally be repossessed, resulting in typically gory consequences.

For the first ten minutes I was sure I was onto a winner, but the whole thing ends up falling flat, the key culprit being the songs. I don't have much of an ear for music, but even by my standards the musical numbers were forgettable at best and cringingly bad at wost. A few ideas stood out as being quite interesting and some areas of the design and costume were fairly nifty but it's hardly enough to salvage the picture.

Given the OTT premise this might have been a guilty pleasure on the level of Rocky Horror, sadly in the end there really is little to recommend though.

4/10

Winter's Bone

Adapted from a book by Daniel Woodrell, director Debra Granik has made a highly atmospheric film that has captured a fresh view of rural America. The rarely seen rugged terrain populated by the tough and poor who are living with the scourge of crystal-meth epidemic.

Jennifer Lawrence is convincing as the lead and delivers a great performance and while the ending is low-key it is appropriate.

8/10

Buried, 9/10.

It wasn't showing at good times anywhere local, so I went on a hunt for it and ended up about 40/50 minutes away in a Vue, and to my (/our) surprise, it was one of the better cinemas I've been too. Definitely going there again.

The film itself was great. I really didn't know what to expected, I knew it was Ryan Reynolds stuck in a coffin, but nothing else. I assumed there would be some sort of narrative device (I had flashbacks in mind) used to explain the situation, but in a weirdly fantastical fashion, we never leave the box. People said Duncan Jones' "Moon" was a one-man feature, that's a freaking epic compared to this. Paul Conroy, the guy in the coffin, begins to slowly piece together what happened, and thanks to his cell phone, starts to contact the outside world. It's something of a difficult film to talk about, so if anyone has the chance, I definitely recommend it.

(Spoiler tags won't spoil the film for you, its just the plot. Not knowing, imo, worked wonders for this)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dead Outlaw: Rekka

Takashi Miike can be one of those director I can't decide whether or not I like. I managed to stay in the cinema whilst watching Gozu even after a dull middle sent half the audience away and what I got was one of the funniest and surreal endings in film ever (if the Yakuza skin factory wasn't surreal enough).

With this film, Miike manages to craft something close to normal and funny and entertaining all of the way through. Starring Riki Takeuchi and Sonny Chiba, it's a tale of Yakuza revenge which manages to snap through politics and action in an entertaining manner and end on yet another surreal note.

With so many great characters on offer it's worth watching.

Rock and Roll!

8/10

mulholland-dr-title-screenshot.jpg

"You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?"

Love Exposure.

The biggest surprise I've ever had.

Loved it.

It's a difficult film to explain since there's something like 4 plot strands all going on at the same time (and ultimately joining up). It's also 4 minutes shy of 4 hours, but here goes...

When Yu's father (a priest) is hurt emotionally in love he takes his frustration out on his son by forcing him to admit to sins, the more severe the better. So to gain acceptance Yu begins a moral decline in criminal behaviour, ending up in the biggest taboo for the church... ‘Up skirt photography’. His behaviour attracts the attention of the mysterious Aya and thus a bizarre (and twisted) plan is formed.

Any more would be spoiler material.

Excellent all round, even with nearly 4 hours on the running time it passes by so quick you feel as if it could have been longer. Laugh out loud funny in many places, serious in others, and some of the most sophisticated and confident film making I’ve ever seen in a Japanese film.

Just be aware that the first 2 hours are better than the second, and there’s one big plot hole (but it’s more of a ‘Why the hell doesn’t he do THAT?’ kind of thing).

4 confessed sins out of 5.

Partir/Leaving

Kristin Scott Thomas gives a brilliant performance as a woman suffering from a bout of love/lust in a drama that is similar to I Am Love. She's ably supported by Sergi Lopez but Unfortunately, despite the great performances and direction, I wasn't as interested in the characters by the end. Still, my third French film on the big screen this year, not a bad number.

6/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back