Rate the Last Film You Watched

Asian Cinema Watch Day 30!

Utib9WEl.jpg

Shoplifters (Manbiki Kazoku [万引き家族]) is a 2018 Japanese film directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda. A slice-of-life film about a family that shoplifts and eventually shoplifts a young girl (well kidnapping). This film is really good and it's more about the characters than the story so the pacing is quite slow throughout. You get to see what each family member does and how they interact with each other and they are all interesting to watch especially the father of the group. The story eventually does crop up during its second half but it ends on a rather solid note (it's not exactly a happy ending though). Overall a really good film and worth a watch, I can see how this won the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival.

Shoplifters is available to own on Blu-ray from distributor Thunderbird Releasing.

4.5/5

And thus today concludes the Asian Cinema daily backlog watch. I know a lot of you are disappointed by the lack of Chinese/Hong Kong/Taiwan films but as I mentioned before I didn't have any on Blu-ray in the backlog on me. They'll be included in Phase 2 trust me.
Watched:

ECCoRUQWsAIQ8iP

#01 - Japan - Yōjirō Takita's Departures
#02 - Japan - Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Before We Vanish
#03 - Japan - Toshiaki Toyoda's Blue Spring
#04 - Korea - Park Chan-wook's Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
#05 - Japan - Takashi Miike's Terra Formars
#06 - Japan - Hideo Nakata's Dark Water
#07 - Japan - Takashi Miike's Dead or Alive
#08 - Japan - Takashi Miike's Dead or Alive 2: Birds
#09 - Japan - Takashi Miike's Dead or Alive: Final
#10 - Japan - Takashi Miike's The Happiness of the Katakuris
#11 - Korea - Park Chan-wook's Thirst
#12 - Japan - Kinji Fukasaku's Street Mobster
#13 - Japan - Kazuhiko Yamaguchi's Wolf Guy: Enraged Lycanthrope
#14 - Japan - Takashi Miike's Shinjuku Triad Society: China Mafia War
#15 - Japan - Takashi Miike's Rainy Dog

EDPsUdOXUAE-D1y

#16 - Japan - Takashi Miike's Ley Lines
#17 - Korea - Park Chan-wook's Lady Vengeance
#18 - Japan - Akira Kurosawa's Dreams
#19 - Korea - Hong Sang-soo's Woman is the Future of Man
#20 - Korea - Hong Sang-soo's Tale of Cinema
#21 - Japan - Sion Sono's Love Exposure
#22 - Japan - Teruo Ishii's Orgies of Edo
#23 - Japan - Teruo Ishii's Yakuza Law
#24 - Japan - Yasuharu Hasebe's Retaliation
#25 - Japan - Masaki Kobayashi's The Human Condition Part I: No Greater Love
#26 - Japan - Masaki Kobayashi's The Human Condition Part II: Road to Eternity
#27 - Japan - Masaki Kobayashi's The Human Condition Part III: A Soldier's Prayer
#28 - Japan - Hirokazu Kore-eda's After the Storm
#29 - Japan - Hirokazu Kore-eda's The Third Murder
#30 - Japan - Hirokazu Kore-eda's Shoplifters
Watched:
Japan - Takashi Miike's 13 Assassins
Japan - Takashi Miike's Audition
Japan - Kinji Fukasaku's Battle Royale
Japan - Kentarō Ōtani, Keiichi Satō's Black Butler
Japan - Takashi Miike's Blade of the Immortal
Korea - Lee Chang-dong's Burning
Japan - Sabu's Dangan Runner
Korea - Park Chan-wook's The Handmaiden
China - Zhang Yimou's Hero
Korea - Bong Joon-ho's The Host
Japan - Nobuhiko Obayashi's House
Korea - Kim Jee-woon's I Saw The Devil
Hong Kong - Andrew Lau, Alan Mak's Infernal Affairs
Hong Kong - Andrew Lau, Alan Mak's Infernal Affairs II
Japan - Toshiya Fujita's Lady Snowblood
Japan - Toshiya Fujita's Lady Snowblood: Love Song of Vengeance
Japan - Takashi Miike's Lesson of Evil
Korea - Park Chan-wook's Oldboy
Japan - Shinichiro Ueda's One Cut of the Dead
Japan - Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Pulse
Indonesia - Gareth Evans's The Raid
Indonesia - Gareth Evans's The Raid 2: Berandal
Japan - Hideo Nakata's Ring
Japan - Keishi Ōtomo's Rurouni Kenshin
Japan - Keishi Ōtomo's Rurouni Kenshin 2: Kyoto Inferno
Japan - Keishi Ōtomo's Rurouni Kenshin 3: The Legend Ends
Japan - Hideaki Anno, Shinji Higuchi's Shin Godzilla
Japan - Shūichi Okita's The Story of Yonosuke
Japan - Shinya Tsukamoto's Tetsuo: The Iron Man
Japan - Shinya Tsukamoto's Tetsuo II: Body Hammer
Korea - Yeon Sang-ho's Train to Busan
Korea - Jung Byung-gil's The Villainess
Japan - Shūichi Okita's The Woodsman and the Rain
Japan - Lee Sang-il's Unforgiven

Avengers: Endgame
I think most of the plotholes can explained away by timey-wimey mumbo-jumbo, but the one thing that gets me is even though half the population of the world has gone that only takes the Earth's population back to the 60s! So why on earth have sports teams, who were established over half a century earlier when the population was half or more than that of the 60s (actually the Mets were established in the 60s themselves, but they replaced teams that go back to the late 19th century!), stopped playing? Baseball continued through both World Wars so it just feels very weird. The only thing I can think of to explain it is that, maybe, as Earth was the epicentre of the snap a lot more than half of the population were dusted!

Avengers: Endgame
I think most of the plotholes can explained away by timey-wimey mumbo-jumbo, but the one thing that gets me is even though half the population of the world has gone that only takes the Earth's population back to the 60s! So why on earth have sports teams, who were established over half a century earlier when the population was half or more than that of the 60s (actually the Mets were established in the 60s themselves, but they replaced teams that go back to the late 19th century!), stopped playing? Baseball continued through both World Wars so it just feels very weird. The only thing I can think of to explain it is that, maybe, as Earth was the epicentre of the snap a lot more than half of the population were dusted!
Maybe Thanos just wasn't a baseball fan 😋

EExZ5RbXsAImm__

AD ASTRA is a 2019 science fiction film directed by James Gray and is the latest big space film that Hollywood has put out lately (the last one was First Man in the previous year). I went into this film with good levels of expectations primarily because of the recent buzz that the film had received at festivals and the concept in itself. For starters the visuals for this film are stunning, it's a mixture of special effects and practical effects and they look great on the big screen. It's worth noting that the film is available at IMAX so I recommend that option if you love that idea.

Now the story itself is an interesting one because I couldn't help compare it towards Apocalypse Now in both its structure and concept. Brad Pitt's character and the story for this film are very similar to Coppola's film but is set out in space and the way the story is going I honestly still liked it regardless. Basically what I am saying is that it doesn't feel original but part of it kinda does once you reach the last third half of the film. Brad Pitt I felt did a great job with his performance but it's a very different one to the other films he's done before. The music score is really good and the rest of the acting is simple but does the job.

Overall AD ASTRA was a surprising film to watch and while it is a slow burner and similar to Apocalypse Now with elements of 2001: A Space Odyssey (admittedly I have not seen 2001 but I can tell it shares inspiration from it) it is still worth checking out at the cinema. I honestly love the film's concept overall and the ending was quite satisfying in my books.

To sum up, give the film a watch especially in IMAX or if you prefer waiting for the 4K Ultra HD HDR experience you won't be disappointed I reckon.

4/5

Random note: One twitter user who watched the film at the festival summed it up as this year's "mother!". I agree with that statement since this is a pretty divisive film for audiences and I wouldn't be surprised if it flops at the box office.

Got the Police Story collection (1&2)and wathced the first one.

Drama wise this didn't really hit the mark but the humour worked well. Real drawing point of this film is all the crazy stunts it. The big car scene at the beginning is pretty spectacular.

Over the last couple of days I decided to rewatch The Godfather Parts I-III. There’s not much to say that hasn’t already been said about Parts I-II, and they stand as two of the greatest works of art committed to film. However one thing I did want to point out is that Fredo really doesn't get enough respect. Seriously, John Cazale was a great actor gone too soon and is utterly believable in his frustration and insecurity as the overlooked Corleone son. I was particularly struck this time by how well he channels Brando in Part II in the scene where Fredo confesses to Michael, the one opportunity he's given to get angry. In that moment I can totally buy that his character is Vito's son to a degree Caan's Sonny and dare I say even Pacino's Michael never really reach.

I can't decide whether I've softened on Part III or if I'm even more frustrated with it than ever. I still despise the stupid '80s action excess of the bloody helicopter gunship attack. I still don't find Vinnie a remotely interesting character, he's just there to hang on Michael and not much else. Sofia Coppola is still one of the worst actresses in the history of the world. And speaking of the history of the world, it's also still rather distracting how much Don Altobello looks (and even acts a bit) like Mel Brooks. Honestly, if he'd actually been played by Mel Brooks I probably would have enjoyed it more.

Eventually The Sopranos would do everything Part III wanted to do with the idea of being born into the mob (Tony's kids, Chris and Adriana) about a million times better and it makes me wish they just hadn't bothered with this angle at all. It's like it's two different films vying for attention within one - The story of Michael trying to go straight (which is the most engaging, and also the most well-shot part) and the story of Vinnie and his rise to power, which is like a low-budget remake of Part I. And in some scenes, that's exactly what it is. "Remember that scene from Part I? Here it is again but now Michael is Vito and Vinnie is Michael (well, except for the fact Vinnie has none of Michael's depth) clever, huh?" I wonder if J.J. Abrams likes Part III.

I think "unnecessary" is the best way to sum up my feelings about Part III. All it really does is offer Michael a chance at redemption that's brutally shot down. This is a guy who, through his own cold ruthlessness and paranoia, destroys or drives away everything he loves and ends up utterly alone, so the end of Part III is perfectly fitting. Or it would be, if that hadn't already been the message and clearly implied ending of Part II. You knew at the end of Part II this was how Michael Corleone would end up, because he's already there.

All that said, Coppola does occasionally remember what a good director he is, there are some beautiful shots and in particular the scenes with Kay and Michael are mostly very good, helped by Pacino and Keaton’s easy chemistry. It doesn’t need to exist and the bad parts are bad, but the good parts really are quite good.

Well it’s that time again-time for me to dedicate at least a film an evening to the month of October.

31 Days of Halloween!

Day I: Tales of Terror (1962, Roger Corman)
1569962092559.jpeg
A series of short stories of the gothic and macabre based on tales from poet Edgar Allan Poe. The shorts star some notable British thespians of the time like Vincent Price, Peter Lorre and Basil Rathbone.

It’s a solid film and each of the shorts managed to keep me engaged. The film is available on Blu Ray from Arrow Video either on its own or as part of the Six Gothic Tales Boxset. 3.5/5

Last edited:
31 Days of Halloween!

Day II: The Haunted Palace (1963, Roger Corman)
1570048651514.jpeg

Another Gothic Edgar Allan Poe adaptation from the Roger Corman and Vincent Price pairing. Like Tales of Terror this has its cheesier aspects but has a great atmosphere and the cast are on form. This time around Price is joined by the likes of iconic horror star Lon Chaney and the transfer looks lovely. 3.5/5

Started the halloween season with the south korean movie "the host". It was alright but the director was trying to cram too many messages on it and it wasn't poignant as it could have been. It also was too long and could have used some cutting.

Anyways. The CGI still looked pretty good if you ask me.

The second horror movie i watched yesterday was "Personal Shopper" which is one of those were something happens in the end and it's suppose to make up for nothing happening before it. Kristen Stewart is still mostly awful actress and when the first aparation turned up i almost laughed at the CGI but the rest of the film has almost none of it so it's okay.

I wasn't bored by the movie like many but there really isn't much going on here.

31 Days of Halloween!

Day III: Phantasm IV: Oblivion (1998, Don Coscarelli & Phantasm V: Ravager (2016, David Hartman)

1570130193519.jpeg

The fourth entry in the Phantasm franchise, this one leans on flashbacks to the other films like some horror sequels tend to do. This is likely due to a limited budget. It’s a pretty average-at-best sequel that picks up around the final act and has its moments but is overall the weakest entry so far. 2.5/5
1570135797608.jpeg

The fifth and final entry in the series and one that felt like it had an even smaller budget but had a more interesting, albeit disjointed, story. The cast were on good form once again too with Angus Scrimm making his final appearance as the Tall Man. 3/5

On a side note something I appreciate about the Phantasm series, asides from being helmed by the same director (except V), is its ability to maintain the same cast and characters across its multiple sequels. Most horror series’ swap out leads and supporting characters every movie.

31 Days of Halloween!

Day IV: Ringu (1998, Hideo Nakata)

1570216338405.jpeg
The now iconic J-horror film that spawned two sequels and an alright American remake, this was quite the experience. What fascinated me was how the horror was weighed out with some real tragedy as events unfolded and the truth behind the girl in the videotape emerged.

The scene with the emptying of well towards the end was a great example of this, being both unnerving and also saddening. I really liked the score in the film by Kenji Kawai too. I’m curious to see how the sequel and 0 fare. 4/5

31 Days of Halloween!

View attachment 10735
The now iconic J-horror film that spawned two sequels and an alright American remake, this was quite the experience. What fascinated me was how the horror was weighed out with some real tragedy as events unfolded and the truth behind the girl in the videotape emerged.

The scene with the emptying of well towards the end was a great example of this, being both unnerving and also saddening. I really liked the score in the film by Kenji Kawai too. I’m curious to see how the sequel and 0 fare. 4/5
When I watched the 1998 Ring for the first time I was so invested into the story that I completely forgot about the ending scene which is funny considering that the last scene was the one that was shown everywhere including the promos.

When I watched the 1998 Ring for the first time I was so invested into the story that I completely forgot about the ending scene which is funny considering that the last scene was the one that was shown everywhere including the promos.
Likewise, it creeped up on me and ends the film on a disturbing and saddening note-fitting for the rest of the story.

31 Days of Halloween!

View attachment 10735

The only time I've watched the Ring trilogy was at uni and me and a mate watched all 3 back to back in one night. Walking back from her room to mine at some ungodly time of night in the dark in empty creaking corridors was pretty terrifying!

Joker

An intense and provoking film that sucks you into this particularly dark and dingy Gotham City. Joaquin Phoenix is as good as you've been hearing (and he's in like 98% of the scenes)and gracefully transitions from maybe the a sad and dejected soul to an unhinged, confident and enigmatic figure as he treads a grim path to obtain the respect he thinks he deserves.

I really enjoy Gotham in this movie as I feel its always at its best when portrayed in a non-contemporary fashion. In the case, literally the 80s.

It highlights the importance of caring for the mentally venerable and how the wrong guy in the wrong situation fall down a dark path. Ahd no, I don't think its trying to absolve the role easy-to-access firearms have to play.

The Joker is particularly griping in the third act where he effortlessly creates a feeling of suspense, either when you don't know what he's going to do and/or what he's going to do.
Just a earning though, no the film is not super gory and violent at any stage but us not a feel-good time at all so definitely hold off if you're not in the mood for a downer king of fime.

So many more things to say but honestly want to see this movie again before giving a 'rating'.

Recommended:

31 Days of Halloween!

Day V: Rasen (1998, Jōji Lida) & Ring 2 (1999, Hideo Nakata)
1570306718274.jpeg

The forgotten sequel to Ringu that acts as a follow up to the first films story and was released around the same time but failed to make much of an impact financially. The film was even canonically replaced by Ring 2 and is relegated to a bonus on the Arrow Video release.

Despite all this Rasen is a decent horror thriller with some intriguing ideas here and there, though it pales in comparison to the first Ring movie. I also wasn’t a fan of the way it killed off some characters from the first film. 3/5
1570307153883.jpeg

A better follow up to Ringu that puts in more scares but doesn’t quite deliver the same impact. I did enjoy it though overall and it helped that the same character and some of the original cast returned also. 3.5/5

Last edited:
31 Days of Halloween!

Day VI: Ring 0: Birthday (2000, Norio Tsuruta)
1570373593727.jpeg

This time we get a prequel to Ringu. It explains the tragic life of Sadako before she ended up trapped in that grotty well and felt more like a drama about young adults than a horror at times. It was alright overall and is worth watching if you’re curious about Sadako’s life. 3/5

31 Days of Halloween!

Day VII: The Changeling (1980, Peter Medak)
1570479792084.jpeg

Another day, another film with a dead child in a well. The Changeling is a slow-burning supernatural horror starring the late great George C. Scott with some great build-up and suspense throughout. The Second Sight release is some grainy goodness too. 4/5

31 Days of Halloween!

Day VIII: The Horror Show (AKA House III) (1989, James Isaac & David Blyth)
2A61113F-4C32-4C3E-8A73-5D6E284C7A6B.jpeg

Part of the House franchise though not marketed or named as such due to its more serious nature. Lance Henriksen heads this uneven film that has some neat ideas and effects but didn’t do all that much for me overall. 3/5

Last edited:
MV5BZTgxMGQwM2UtZTAxNi00M2JhLTk4ZTgtZmFlODI0NmI3ZDViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Didn't hate it but this was weaker than the original on almost on every regard. It's not good but it's passable until the finale where it really starts to stink more
zombie Ellie

At least i got few chuckles out of it.

Back