Rate the Last Film You Watched

AVENBERS: ENDGAME

Well worth the wait and certainly will surprise you leaves you with plenty of questions about the future.
8/10

Very minor sort of spoiler that'll save you a bit of time:

There is no end credits scenes, its safe to leave!

Monday, April 22nd to Sunday, April 28th.

First Man [4K]

Avengers - Endgame [CINEMA]

Tried to watch, but dropped:
Children Who Chase Lost Voices
Colorful
Death Proof/Planet Terror
Street Fighter II

Interesting what you say about Gosling. That's probably why Bladerunner is the only film I like him in.

Avengers is awesome. Seen it 3 times already and may well go again at some point. The box office records it's setting are insane. Over $1 billion in a weekend is mad!

Intrigued as to why you dropped Children who chase lost voices? Although it's my least favourite Shinkai film I still enjoyed it.

I think it started out good, but just "fell apart" later on. Gonna stick with Ghibli with these kind of films. Only other Shinkai film I watched was Your Name, so that makes it my favourite.

Fair enough. Although Your Name is probably objectively his best film I've always preferred A Place Promised in Our Early Days. That was the first of his films I saw and it blew me away the first time I saw it.

Much as I think Ryan Gosling is often typecast for his emotionless tough guy schtick, he does seem surprisingly capable in comedy roles when the material is right - he's an unexpectedly great double act with Russell Crowe in The Nice Guys.

Anyone else got tickets for Detective Pikachu? They're up for sale now.

I just got back from seeing it and i thought it was completely forgettable. Barely any of the humor worked and the jokes flowed pretty poorly. There was forced and cliched drama but no characters to be cared about so towards the end the "dramatic" scenes started to feel tiring. Pikachu did look good and that's a plus but that's pretty much all it had going for. If i had to go by this i would say that pokemon's don't work very well done in live action when it comes to feel of the world. It didn't feel very pokemonish (and i'm not saying this because there weren't any trainers)

I was also kinda surprised at the end when it looked like the two main human characters would hook up later because there were zero chemistry between them. It does btw say alot about the characters in the film that i can't remember their names.

The main guy should be "Harry's Son" in the credits.

But despite all of that it was still watchable in theaters but if i had seen this on blueray there's a good chance i would have hated it.

I watched Rampage last night. It wasn't bad - I think you know what to expect from a movie starring The Rock and this ticked all the boxes.

A load of buildings/aircraft got blown up, there were giant monsters and comical pantomime-style baddies. Dwayne was absolutely invincible through the whole thing. Jeffrey Dean Morgan was really good in it too.

Big, daft fun - 6/10

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu

Not exactly a hard achievement but yes, I'd call it the vest video game movie. The realisation of the Pokémon is live action is spot on. Every Pokémon whether cute or creepy are realised perfectly and the humour used always laughs with the franchise rather than at it. The plot isn't ground-breaking but does its job. Ryan Reynolds is very witty and energetic if a tad too much of the latter at time when his dialogue should have been cut a bit shorter. As well as bringing the series into live action, the style of writing is pretty refreshing for the franchise who's storytelling has been stuck in the strictly kids amine mold for most of its existence. Its good to see it branching out and taking risks like this. I can see many moments where the movie rely on fan knowledge to make an impact which might be lost on some people. A pity as most of them could have easily been solved with just some prior set-up or explanation. Certainly see it if you're familiar with the franchise, bring kids, the young relative I brought really enjoyed it despite limited knowledge of the source. And if you really aren't into Pokémon, its inoffensive at worst. I realky hope to see more of these.
Also, the lead female character of the movie gives a performance that's like watching an anime character who's escapex from the drawings abd is now trying to adjust to reality. Whether you enjoy her or not will really depend on your temperament but seriously, all she needs is some Alita eyes and a few frames cut whenever making sudden movements.

8/10

Last edited:

John Wick 3: Parabellum (dir. Chad Stahelski)
A great addition to the John Wick franchise, but I don't know how I feel with regards to its conclusion. The first two films had some form of closure in terms of those story arcs but this one felt like a two-parter rather than a standalone addition to the franchise, especially given what happens at the end of the middle act and the final act. That aside the fight scenes were really good, but select parts overstayed its welcome, most notably during the final act. Overall I am looking forward to Chapter 4, but I don't think Chapter 3 is the best in the series so far.

3.8/5

Rocketman (dir. Dexter Fletcher)
A biographical film about the life of musician Elton John. Taron Egerton did a really good job portraying his character and even sang the songs which were pretty close to Elton's voice (it even helped that Taron did some Elton related stuff prior, most notably singing I'm Still Standing in the animated film Sing!). The child actors did a great job as well which is something that can be hard to pull off in a film like this. The pacing is pretty solid though it did get a bit messy in places during the second half but the conclusion overall I'm satisfied with. This film is better than Bohemian Rhapsody, which suffered from pacing issues, a cartoonish villain and inaccuracies within its story. There is a villain of sorts like the one on BR, but it's not shoved in your face that much and is handled much better. I don't see this film doing well in the box office because of Aladdin and Godzilla II so if you have some spare time, give this film a shot.

4.5/5

Godzilla II: King of the Monsters (dir. Michael Dougherty)
The king of the monster is back and I feel... rather underwhelmed. When I first saw the trailers I knew something felt off, the characters are bad outside of the father of the family and the Chinese scientist (as well as the two duos from the previous film who sadly get killed off) and the fight scenes looked superb on screen but it didn't excite me as much as the 2014 reboot did. In the 2014 reboot, when Godzilla unleashed his blue beam it was epic and built up so damn well and in this film there is no surprise. Granted the biggest surprise was that Rodan is treated like a slave to the king of the monsters which was pretty funny to be fair. The best part of the film is actually Mothra herself and I knew from the franchise lore that she would be on the heroes side of the fight (like Godzilla, Mothra is an anti-hero of sorts throughout the Japanese films) and she delivers really well. King Ghidorah himself also delivers by being one hell of a monster throughout.

Overall King of the Monsters could have been much better, but the human side is much worse than the previous installment. With the next one in the Monsterverse due next March (Godzilla vs Kong) I hope they can improve on this part. I am fully aware that many folks would prefer to watch monsters fight each other, but with this film those sort of scenes are better off just watching a compilation over on YouTube. Granted I have only seen a few Godzilla films overall and of the ones that I have watched, Shin Gojira is by far my favorite thanks to the horror tone, Godzilla himself and the human side of the conflict.

3/5

So. In total, I have watched 15 films at the cinema this far. The ones that I have highlighted are the films I recommend checking out:

One Cut of the Dead
Glass
Burning
Alita: Battle Angel
The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Chapter
Penguin Highway

Captain Marvel
Us
Shazam!

Pet Sematary
Hellboy (2019)
Avengers: Endgame
John Wick 3: Parabellum
Rocketman

Godzilla II: King of the Monsters

Last edited:
Decided to take a BFI Player subscription for a while. They don't have a lot, but what they do have is meticulously curated.

The Bird With the Crystal Plumage (1970)

Dario Argento's calling card to the world is a stylish thriller with excellent cinematography that helped establish a lot of giallo idioms, but I found it hard not to see it as a dry run for the intense, lurid weirdness of his later work.

Interior: Leather Bar (2013)

As a fan (generally) of William Friedkin's '70s output, I've long been aware of Cruising and the controversy surrounding it, but never actually seen the film. This curious companion piece attempts to reimagine the now legendary missing footage cut from that film, which may or may not entirely alter its central character arc, and maybe even reclaim it as a more positive portrayal of the gay s&m lifestyle. Unfortunately, while the film makes good use of its docu-drama setup and often seems to be on the cusp of saying something interesting about masculine identity, it never quite commits to its ideas and ends up feeling a bit aimless.

Wings of Desire (1987)

This is really what I'd subscribed to see. Two angels wander through modern day West Berlin, listening to the thoughts of everyday people and trying to bring comfort to those in need, but one is racked with anguish after failing to prevent a young man's suicide, while the other longs to be mortal after becoming captivated by a circus acrobat on the verge of losing her livelihood. There isn't a huge amount of dramatic development here, but in its own quiet way, this is a gorgeous, mesmerising film that seems to contemplate the very soul of post-war Germany and where it might be headed. Despite his minimal dialogue, Bruno Ganz is on excellent form as the would-be mortal, emoting and gesturing with a Chaplin-esque smiling sadness, but surprisingly, I think it's Peter Falk (yes, Columbo) who absolutely steals the show, playing a weary, befuddled version of himself trying to stay amused on the set of a film.

And one not from the BFI

John Wick 3

It took me two attempts to get into this one (sold out the first time!), but it was worth the wait. Keanu Reeves has rarely been better than he is here as the one-man bloodbath, doggedly navigating some truly top-notch action set pieces. I didn't like this one as much as the second film - I think the story is becoming too convoluted and playing too loose with the rules it's spent so long establishing - but it's a fine continuation of the saga.

Tony’s suit just gives him wacky iron man like upgrades like lock on, different visions and an annoying AI that gives him a “battle mode” when he’s perfectly capable of taking down crooks without it

Booo.

No, I can kind of get that with Hard Boiled. It's my favourite of the John Woo movies I've seen, but there really isn't much to it outside of the three big set-pieces.

Toy Story 4

A great movie that can safely stand side-by-slide with bits predecessors. It's into new areas of the mortality existentialistic themed the series had always been known for. It probably features the most co plex villain if he franchise who also goes in unexplored directions. The ending is even more definitive than he last movies meaning this is likely, probably, maybe the least one this time. You might miss some if the supporting cast as most of the plot is very Woody focused do that might disappoint some. But the little we die get mad me meant more which I cannot day is a bad thing at the end if the day.

Best animated film if the year do far. 9/10

Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV

So I've never played any FF games (shocking I know) but recently a mate of mine positively insisted I see this. They actually kinda angry i hadn't. Holy molly it was good. The CGI is absolutely stunning. Yes the face movements are a little uncanny valley but oh boy the action was amazing and some of the shots in the final show down are truly artistic in design and composition.

I was also really surprised at how much story there was. The first half had enough going on to more than fill most action films and then the second half kept the surprises coming and just became so grand in nature.

It was easy to follow, and is quite expository at times filling you in on the world politics and what have you but that context definitely helps raise the stakes and invest you for the big set pieces.

9/10

Last edited:
I wasn't initial,y going to rush out for Spider-Man: Far From Home but I hear its quite spoiler-y which I was not expecting.

Back