Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

I like the idea, but I think that would be quite difficult since everyone has such different tastes. Like the only way I can see any given anime being recommended to anyone would be if it just had really good quality art and animation or something. Even then, people have preferences in art style (I know I’ve passed a few things up that come highly recommended simply because I don’t like the character designs).

Yeah for sure, although I wouldn't want it to be necessarily strict recommendations, more like this is the type of thing an anime fan should at least try to watch sometime. I have quite a few shows I've seen, some on my ptw, and others I would need to research when I start to get through my backlog.

Rather than being strictly recommendations, to me at least it may be more for under-watched anime that; is worth looking into, classics from years gone by, not mentioned much now but very much worth trying. That kind of thing.

Yeah for sure, although I wouldn't want it to be necessarily strict recommendations, more like this is the type of thing an anime fan should at least try to watch sometime. I have quite a few shows I've seen, some on my ptw, and others I would need to research when I start to get through my backlog.

Rather than being strictly recommendations, to me at least it may be more for under-watched anime that; is worth looking into, classics from years gone by, not mentioned much now but very much worth trying. That kind of thing.
Kinda like a thread for hidden gems? Could be interesting. Quite a few of my favourite series fall under the radar so I have plenty of suggestions lol

Something I recently considered but is there a thread here about anime that everyone should at least try once? I don't necessarily mean for people to list their favs, but more for discussing series that are worth trying by basically everyone who considers themselves an anime fan.

I like the idea, but I think that would be quite difficult since everyone has such different tastes. Like the only way I can see any given anime being recommended to anyone would be if it just had really good quality art and animation or something. Even then, people have preferences in art style (I know I’ve passed a few things up that come highly recommended simply because I don’t like the character designs).
A thread like that might work if the focus was on shows that were influential in establishing new genres or pushing them in new directions. More of an academic view rather than a greatest hits.

Kinda like a thread for hidden gems? Could be interesting. Quite a few of my favourite series fall under the radar so I have plenty of suggestions lol
I started a thread for hidden gems of the 2010s a while back. Maybe one of those for each decade might be the way to go?

Something I recently considered but is there a thread here about anime that everyone should at least try once? I don't necessarily mean for people to list their favs, but more for discussing series that are worth trying by basically everyone who considers themselves an anime fan.

Ha, I would never be able to participate in a thread like that, because the majority of the most popular anime I would end up avoiding like the plague (Sailor Moon most definitely), and much of the anime that people puke upon end up being some of my favorites... 😛

Ha, I would never be able to participate in a thread like that, because the majority of the most popular anime I would end up avoiding like the plague (Sailor Moon most definitely), and much of the anime that people puke upon end up being some of my favorites... 😛

Yeah I mean really I have no idea about Sailor Moon in the context of that kind of thread, I don't think that it would be for that kind of thing. I guess it would be for popular or unpopular shows, but just ones that you think there is value in trying at least once, like it or not.

Examples I may put forward for such a thing would be shows like Amagi Brilliant Park, From the New World, Hyouka, Hinamatsuri, RE:Creators, ID:Invaded. They don't necessarily need to be absolute favourites but just shows that are worth a try :)

Seiyu's Life!

This is a decent little show that covers the range of jobs a seiyu may end up doing. The characters are fine. The situations are moderately interesting. The focus is mainly on the scope of banal entry-level tasks that a seiyu is likely to do, so don't expect to see anyone doing in-depth research or full-on method acting for a major role. The show swings back and forth between affecting a light tone and then hitting you with the anxiety-inducing nature of a job where you can fade away into obsolescence at any time.

The main place where the series stumbles is in how much time it spends on the three main seiyu forming an idol group. About half the series focuses on this plotline, and while I realise this can be a significant part of a seiyu's job, it doesn't do anything to stand out in the overcrowded pop idol genre. It would have been better sticking to its niche and giving more insight into the voice acting side of the job. For that reason, if you only want to watch one anime about seiyu, I'd recommend Girlish Number instead. But if you want to watch two, this one was pretty entertaining.

6/10

Beyond the Boundary

A solid KyoAni production but lacks something that shows like Clannad, VE, Hyouka have. I really liked the concept with the dreamshades and the bounties on killing them. I think the weakest part for me was in a way the main cast, especially Kuriyama, they didn't really seem to gel as a group.

Still was an interesting watch, and KyoAni don't disappoint with the artwork as usual.

7/10

Beyond the Boundary

A solid KyoAni production but lacks something that shows like Clannad, VE, Hyouka have. I really liked the concept with the dreamshades and the bounties on killing them. I think the weakest part for me was in a way the main cast, especially Kuriyama, they didn't really seem to gel as a group.

Still was an interesting watch, and KyoAni don't disappoint with the artwork as usual.

7/10
Heh you've perfectly summarised how I felt about this show, especially after watching some of Kyoani's masterpieces beforehand. Good show regardless. Perhaps it was too short to properly develop the characters and lore. Not rushing to watch the movie, until I can get it cheap ie heh, but also felt the story ended at a good point so wondering if there is any need for anything further after that conclusion.

Yeah I had the same thought think it needed 2 cours really, the actual world building was good but the story wasn't great, felt rushed.

Movie is OK answers some questions after the end of the main show.

Beyond the Boundary

A solid KyoAni production but lacks something that shows like Clannad, VE, Hyouka have.
Guh, Beyond the Boundary. This is something I wrote about it back in 2017:

I splashed out on the Blu-ray version after reading a certain very favourable review of it.

The reviewer promised me "a mix of intense action, deep story and exciting and deep characters, the likes of which I have not seen in some while." He enthused how he "could keep going on and on about all of the various hooks and character developments that are opened up" in the series.

What I got were a bunch of one-note cliché character types, thrown together at the very beginning without any convincing story build-up; repetitive, implausible dialogue between characters displaying no camaraderie; tiresome "quirks" in place of personality; and none of the promised character development.

Yeah the group didn't really seem to gel well, but I think it was poorly written characters and a rushed story, and don't get me started on the main antagonist haha!

I liked Izumi though, but then I do like a strong female character. Kuriyama was weak as one of the MC's with her indecisiveness and lack of presence.

But... isn't that rather unambitious, though? It's like an anime studio can just excuse themselves with "We drew you a girl with glasses; isn't that enough??? What more do you want? An interesting and well-structured story as well?!"

For those of you that have seen both: Is Myriad Colours Phantom World better than Beyond the Boundary? :)

Really depends on what you want out of them. Beyond the Boundary is a better drama with a story that holds together well, but Myriad Colours Phantom World is more fun and silly. I like both but prefer BtB since I got more invested in the cast. :)

Really depends on what you want out of them. Beyond the Boundary is a better drama with a story that holds together well, but Myriad Colours Phantom World is more fun and silly. I like both but prefer BtB since I got more invested in the cast. :)

Thankyou for giving your opinion, for context I have seen BtB and wasn't overly impressed, haven't seen MCPW but know it was also a KyoAni series that had a fairly mixed reception, so that's why I asked :)

Thankyou for giving your opinion, for context I have seen BtB and wasn't overly impressed, haven't seen MCPW but know it was also a KyoAni series that had a fairly mixed reception, so that's why I asked :)

Ah, in that case I'd say MCPW is around about the same (although again has more of a fun factor going for it), so you're unlikely to be wowed by it.

Gundam F91

This turned out pretty well, considering that it was originally meant to be a TV series and ended up being chopped down to a two-hour movie. The fingerprints of that origin are all over it, from the overwhelming number of characters thrown on screen with nary an introduction, to the somewhat choppy structure that struggles to gel as it trims the connective tissue between scenes to an absolute minimum. Those problems have been known to plague 50-episode Tomino shows though, so it's something any veteran UC Gundam viewer should be used to. Despite that, I enjoyed F91 a lot more than Tomino's other Gundam feature, Char's Counterattack, mainly thanks to the absence of any distractingly awful characters like Quess. While its ending leaves some major conflicts unresolved, it's more cathartic and comprehensible than the messy ending of Char's Counterattack.

The other thing F91 has going for it is its stellar mech animation. The various battle scenes are jaw-dropping, with those happening inside colonies being particularly visceral. You don't want to be a civilian in this movie; it was clearly made while Tomino was still in a dark place emotionally.

Overall, while you can see the duct tape holding the editing of this movie together, it brute forces its way to being an entertaining two-hour feature with solid execution of the classic Gundam formula and a host of memorable action scenes.

7/10

Acca 13

An interesting political intrigue romp around an environment that feels somewhat dystopian whilst also not really feeling dystopian.

Artwork was great, characters were on the whole pretty interesting, the story was a little predictable once I'd seen enough of the pieces falling into place.

If I had any complaints at all the pacing was a little slow for the main plot development. We often went off to go smoking or eating various baked goods.

The OP was really good I thought , a nice change from some of the more generic ones I've seen lately.

7/10

I very much enjoyed ACCA 13, enough so that I imported the 3 JP Limited Edition box sets, which do have English subtitles. I had posted them up not too long ago somewhere here in the forum.

My neighbors and I finished the original Fate / stay night (2006) last night, Eps 18-24. We had decicided to watch all of Fate this summer, so one series down, 5 more to go, I guess, counting Heaven's Feel. I have already seen Fate /Zero and UBW series, but had never seen the original series. My neighbors were really into it, is why we finished it in two weeks. It was a solid 7/10 for me, and probably 7.5/10 for them.

Back