Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Michiko and Hatchin

Fantastic fun. Visually arresting with two great leads and an interesting array of supporting characters. Some good standalone episodes and a decent overall plotline which ended in a satisfying way.

9/10

Amnesia

This is defiantly for the girls ... It's about a girl who goes out with 5 guys and for some reason doesn't know why.

For me I didn't feel anything for this series but the last two episodes.

6/10

I watched Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san.

It's a short Yuri Comedy where the characters' personalities are kind of based on animal stereotypes. You probably don't need to know more.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. The characters are likeable and while they're based on animals they're not really bound by the stereotypes.

It's an interesting one fanservice wise. There's not much skin on show but almost all of the jokes revolve around the girls "flirting" with each other in one way or another.

Also, it has a glasses episode, which is great. Every show should have a glasses episode.

Steins;Gate - Rewatch

For the third time I play audience to self-styled 'mad scientist' Okabe Rintaro and his merry band of assistants at the Future Gadget Research Laboratory, and for the third time I leave satisfied, my itch for mind-bending science fiction thoroughly scratched.

It's certainly a series that holds up to multiple viewings, details that I had once missed now bursting out of the screen at me. However, not all those details were praise-worthy. At times the logic of the series seriously strains under its own complexity, and this is abundantly clear in the second half of Steins;Gate.

That being said, Steins;Gate is great.

9/10 - El Psy Congree

Hellsing Ultimate - 7/10

Amusing, sometimes nicely animated, but much as I like vampires, Dracula etc, this was pretty silly overall; not in terms of gore, but in terms of actual content. I didn't really end up caring all that much about anyone or anything in the entire series, and Alucard is so overpowered, you never really think he has any chance of losing.

His and her circumstances

Overall reviews for the series have been positive. The tenth volume of the series was listed as the top selling graphic novel in Japan on October 31, 2000.[16] In The Anime Encyclopedia: A Guide to Japanese Animation Since 1917, Jonathan Clements and Helen McCarthy praised the anime adaptation for its innovative techniques and the use of "surreal 'cartoon' effects".[17] THEM anime reviews gave the anime adaptation a good review calling it "probably the most disarmingly honest shoujo romance ever made"[18] Alexander Harris from Anime News Network called the anime adaptation very character driven, saying "If you love diving into the minds of a character and searching for those juicy naughty bits, and all the while being entertained and educated, then this is for you."

9/10

Now and then

Umm how do I describe this...........at least it isn't moe and in school.

Well a kid is sent to another time and ... to be honest the main hero shu is so naive.... He thinks he knows it all.... It's just annoying... his not interesting.

Sara is kinda interesting..... she's a tragic character.....

The main thing is about the nature of war and how it treats its soldiers and civilians under a crazy man...... I'm looking at you Lelouch lol.

Seriously we get some really graphic stuff in this.... including

Child abuse
Child soldiers
Rape of young girls
The nature of war...

I think the child abuse and rape is the interesting parts.

Some parts of the series plotholes are pretty big....

the time machine... yes they have a time machine in this... in a apocalyptic world where they want to find a girl.that can give them water........why not just go and stay in the past

This series has its flaws and pros it's not fantastic but it's not bad

8/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Well maybe their machine took so much power that it couldn't be used to do that. Wasn't it being powered by water and they didn't have much left.

Winkuru said:
Well maybe their machine took so much power that it couldn't be used to do that. Wasn't it being powered by water and they didn't have much left.

8) ...... they have all the water they can ever want now

Phantom - Requiem for the Phantom - 8.5 / 10

I'd had this on my backlog for a while, and hadn't picked it up, as I've barely seen it really mentioned online anywhere as a show that people rate well - which surprised me considering the original scripts were by Gen Urobuchi. But yeah, I found this properly gripping from the off and I got really caught up in it. It feels like a natural bedfellow to the likes of Noir and Jormungand - a sleek guns-blazing thriller that lays the criminal underbelly of the world bare. There are so many elements I felt this show did well, from a (rare for an anime) American setting for the first cour, to a strong female villain and just a really tightly written script in general. Everything about the show oozed sex appeal and a smart, sharp aesthetic - and while I felt it required some slightly strange leaps of the imagination at times (yup, I'm talking about the blonde loli character), I do get what they were trying to do with the second cour where they essentially up-end and reverse everything established in the first half. Consider me impressed in general - really glad I finally checked this one out.

Jyu Oh Sei - 7.5 / 10

I really liked the overall tone and feel to this and felt it mixed sci-fi and fantasy tropes really well, helped along by a rather retro-tinged art style that really recalled the character designs of Escaflowne, for me. One thing I would say though is there are some really weird pacing issues that threw me for a loop. Like there's suddenly a time-skip out of nowhere, and it's not really explained at all, and sometimes episodes will just end, and then pick up sometimes later in the next episode. It almost feels like this was originally planned to be two cours long and then cut down. But yeah, I enjoyed it, and it felt like a strong show to quickly power through on a lazy weekend - it reminded me of stuff like Casshan Sins and Trigun in terms of a powerful individual making their way through a desolate world, and it also touches on some interesting themes around power hierarchy and gender too.

Finally got around to watching Ghost in the Shell (the movie).

It was pretty good, it touches on some interesting ideas and everything comes together quite well.

It's a bit slower paced than I thought it might be but I think it worked pretty well since it's generally more philosophical rather than about big action or even the story. It didn't ever feel like the time was wasted and while many of the shots that are lingered on may seem "mundane" they often also felt relevant to the themes.

When there was action it was well done too, I particularly liked the way it integrated the fact that many of the people involved were cybernetic so that affected both what they could do and how they approached situations.

The characters were quite well handled, while there's not enough time to really go into detail they managed to convey most of the information we needed fairly efficiently. I have to admit, I did think that Motoko's driver/support Togusa would end up getting killed, almost every situation seemed to be setting him up for it and even the way Motoko introduces him seemed like a death flag. I think that added to my enjoyment of the film, though it was probably more of a personal thing. The Batou/Motoko team was great fun too.

I really liked the ending sequence, with the "child" body seeming appropriate for the beginning of a new life of sorts.

I also watched Soul Eater Not!, all 12 episodes.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, although I'm not sure about the "big" storyline (which was a bit more action focussed). While it wasn't bad and even had some quite good (and unexpected) moments I didn't think it was good enough to be more fun than the slice of life antics and character stories. As a result, I probably enjoyed the first half more than the second (well, it's really more like three quarters with only the last three episodes really being focussed on that story).

I liked the story between Kim and Jacqueline quite a bit, so it was a shame that they didn't appear much after that. There's even a moment that looks like it's setting up a new story for them that is then completely ignored. Apparently these two appear in Soul Eater (which I haven't seen yet) so that's probably a factor as to why they didn't get more time spent on them.

There's a bit of yuri content, though it's mostly subdued and implied. I have to admit, I think I'd like to have seen the series this could have been if it had gone a bit further with that and spent more time on the issues the characters faced adapting to their new lives.

That said, I don't have any significant complaints about what the show actually is. It's generally fun, the characters are all pretty well designed (in both appearance and personality) and I didn't feel bored of it at any point. The episodes relating to the café were probably some of the best, the "Master" was always fun. While the show is often light and silly, the characters do have some interesting stories that do actually involve development for them.

It's tough to say exactly who would most enjoy this show. It has elements of a battle/action show but they mostly only appear towards the end, the rest of the show is mostly character stories, comedy and cute girls doing cute things. You'd probably have to be able to at least tolerate both to some extent and preferably like both.

Just to address those two characters, I've seen Soul Eater and I had to look them up as I had no idea who they were. Unless I'm having a massive memory blank they are very minor characters in the original show.

It's definitely one of the stronger themes across GITS as a whole franchise where they explore Togusa and his own mortality - ie. is his function as a cop compromised because he's fully human, so isn't able to take the same risks as the other guys, because his body is inherently more fragile. There's moments where he's portrayed as inadequate, and perhaps hampered by the horror of potentially dying and leaving his wife and child behind without him.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Just to address those two characters, I've seen Soul Eater and I had to look them up as I had no idea who they were. Unless I'm having a massive memory blank they are very minor characters in the original show.
That's a shame because they were great fun here.

Lutga said:
It's definitely one of the stronger themes across GITS as a whole franchise where they explore Togusa and his own mortality - ie. is his function as a cop compromised because he's fully human, so isn't able to take the same risks as the other guys, because his body is inherently more fragile. There's moments where he's portrayed as inadequate, and perhaps hampered by the horror of potentially dying and leaving his wife and child behind without him.
At the same time, I thought Motoko's point about him bringing something unique to the group was also interesting. I'd imagine there are certain situations where being fully human would be an advantage too.

Something I forgot to mention really is how much potential I could see in the setting. I'm not at all surprised they've made other incarnations of Ghost in the Shell (even different continuities, I believe) and I'm looking forward to trying out the others.

On a related note, do people recommend watching Innocence next, the TV series or something else?

I haven't seen innocence yet but stand alone complex is amazing. As far as the anime goes there are 3 continuities so far:
1.1995 movie and innocence.
2.stand alone complex (1st,2nd gig and solid state society).
3.Arise (OVAs 1-5 (pryphoric cult was new to "alternative archetecture" tv re-run) + upcoming movie.

Back