Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

britguy said:
Black Lagoon

Watched both cours of this show, great fun. Second Barrage had two great arcs and one good one which elevates it over the first half of the series imo. Need more, Robertas Blood Trail will be bought, but 5 more episodes just isn't enough

9/10

well you know what its like..... school anime is a must in japan.....like we have seen over millions of times...... id like to see more black lagoon

animefreak17 said:
well you know what its like..... school anime is a must in japan.....like we have seen over millions of times...... id like to see more black lagoon
Is Black Lagoon set in a school?

I don't think it's accurate to suggest that any anime set mostly in a school is much the same as another. Just looking at the shows streaming this season is enough to disprove that.

Not to say that there aren't many similar shows out there but if there were a million shows like Black Lagoon it wouldn't necessarily make Black Lagoon a worse show. I suppose the main point was "I'd like to see more of the shows I like", which itself is fair enough.

Black Lagoon isn't set in a school to my knowledge. I think he was trying to say he doesn't like anime set in schools and likes Black Lagoon because it isn't or at least that's one reason.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Black Lagoon isn't set in a school to my knowledge. I think he was trying to say he doesn't like anime set in schools and likes Black Lagoon because it isn't or at least that's one reason.
I may not have been entirely serious with that question. The difficulties of communicating in plain text.

I re-watched Yuyushiki (on Blu-ray rather than streaming this time, those song lyrics seem quite appropriate).

There's an odd realism to this show and the way that it captures the feeling of hanging around with friends, sharing your own weird jokes that probably seem especially strange to outsiders. Or maybe it's mostly just wacky fun. I dunno, whatever it is I like it a lot and I'll certainly re-visit it again later.

I think one of the problems with these kinds of shows is that they might be a little too easy for me to re-watch so I might fall into a loop of constantly watching the same shows at some point. Although maybe that wouldn't be so bad.

Smeelia said:
animefreak17 said:
Is Black Lagoon set in a school?

I don't think it's accurate to suggest that any anime set mostly in a school is much the same as another. Just looking at the shows streaming this season is enough to disprove that.

Not to say that there aren't many similar shows out there but if there were a million shows like Black Lagoon it wouldn't necessarily make Black Lagoon a worse show. I suppose the main point was "I'd like to see more of the shows I like", which itself is fair enough.

sorry its just iv been watching happy happy school anime recently aand its driving me nuts

Treasure Island (Takarajima): Review (1978, TV, 26 Episodes)
WxPkuopl.jpg
Treasure Island (Takarajima) is a 1978 anime series directed by the late Osamu Dezaki, the man who directed animated classics such as The Rose of Versailles, Ace o Nerae!, Oniisama e and Ashita no Joe (Tomorrow’s Joe) among many others and Treasure Island is yet another animated classic that is a part of his legendary resume and is an adaptation of the Robert Louis Balfour Stevenson novel of the same name. Spanning a total of 26 episodes it tells the story of Jim Hawkins, a happy go lucky 13 year old boy who lives in England with his widowed mother. They run an Inn together, but ever since his farther died both he and his Mom have struggled running the Inn day in and day out and customers have all but disappeared. The series starts off with them getting a customer on a dark and stormy night. A big man, he is rough and scarred in appearance, a drunkard who requests nothing but rum for both breakfast, lunch and dinner. Eventually his odd behavior piques young Jim Hawkins interest, and as he becomes more and more aggressive as the days go by, the boy becomes more and more suspicious of the man. Maybe he’s a real pirate? As the series goes on both Jim and his Mother become more involved in his business as the man who we now learn goes by the name Billy Bones requests of young Jim to let him know if he ever spots a one legged man that he fears. On paper Takarajima comes across as a typical affair, a show about pirates, sea shanties and both treasure and violence but truth be told it’s all wrapped up in a beautiful aesthetic that makes it ever so hard not to keep your eyes on. The 1970’s series shines as brightly today as it did back when it first aired, adorned with striking animation, fantastic, charming character designs and a beautiful soundtrack.

The soundtrack is composed by the late Kentaro Haneda and as such reminds me heavily of the soundtrack from SDF Macross, sans Minmay that is of course. Needless to say it’s a fantastic soundtrack and a highlight of the series. When watching the series it clear that not a lot of music is played throughout the series, however what is utilized is fantastic as each track works its magic during each and every scene, effortlessly telegraphing just what type of scene is commencing. The opening theme, Takarajima by Machida Yoshito is a phenomenal piece and really instils a sense of adventure into you as you start each and every episode, with help by Columbia Yurikago Kai children's choir who add a lot of depth to the theme while the ending, Chiisana Funanori is equally beautiful, if not more so and is an amazing way to cap off each and every episode. Overall the music is masterful in its composition and implementation, enhancing each and every scene and making everything that much more dramatic, that much more emotional and that much more of an adventure. Top marks here.

Now with audio comes visuals and the animation is also a massive highlight of this series. Painterly is a word that I’d use to describe it. A lot of it is static, not unlike many series from that time period, however not only does it still look breath-taking at times, but that style of animation is also very much a staple of the late Osamu Dezaki (the director). If you’ve seen any of his other series such as Ashita no Joe you’ll be instantly accustomed to this. This style of animation has been given many names; the most prominent is the pastel freeze frame however Dezaki himself dubs it as postcard memories. Osamu Dezaki to be honest is a very fascinating director that brings along many of his signature techniques across his whole portfolio, and each one almost works as a stamp, branding each and every series in order to make it very clear that this is his work and creates a consistency throughout all of his works. His work visually is unmistakably his and comes across as very striking, because although these techniques are used across the whole medium, nobody can put them to work quite like he can, implementing them effortlessly in each and every episode and each and every scene. It all blends together, not sticking out like a sore thumb.

The art itself is fantastic; however the direction of each and every scene is equally fantastic. He often makes uses of dutch angles in order to disorientate the viewer and high low key lighting, with deep shadows and high contrast lighting in order to create a sense of isolation and loneliness and transitioning from detailed paintings to normal animation and vice versa in order to transition from scene to scene. A myriad of effects and cinematography techniques are utilized in order to foster a unique atmosphere and in the end it’s easy to say that I really enjoy the series from a visual standpoint. A lot of the visual cues can be called cost cutting and time saving measures but in all honestly that’s beside the point because it works tremendously well in Takarajima and is incorporated wonderfully as they all blend into the beautiful painterly visuals.

Although it’s clear that I love both the visuals and music for Takarajima, what makes it more enjoyable is that it goes further. One scene in particular, a flash back, reuses a previous scene but inverts all of the colors into negative and its things like this that make the series stand out visually. Being a show called Treasure Island it’s clear that a lot of water is involved, so when the sounds of waves clashing against each other is as riveting as it is here, it’s only so much more enjoyable and immersive as you feel the sun-rays emitting from your screen.

The character designs in Takarajima are as I mentioned above fantastic. Long John Silver looks like a really manly man, with his blue eyes, flowing hair and huge chiseled chin and young Jim Hawkins looks like a young adventurous boy, as he should, with eyes wide as the world which really represent the characters perfectly. What’s more, it seems like the people at Gainax agree as in an interview Nakashima states that with Simon in the epilogue to Gurren Lagann they took inspiration from John Silver and it goes deeper, because when pitching Gurren Lagann itself internally both Nakashima and Imaishi wanted to create a series that was “as manly as Takarajima and Ashita no Joe”. And in the end, looking at them side by side it’s impossible to miss the resemblance.

I’m a massive fan of these types of shows, shows that really embrace their childlike nature with open arms and tell stories that are fun and really make you feel like a kid again, eager to know what happens next. Takarajima is also very funny which goes a long way, but unlike many series the humor is down to the mannerisms of the characters themselves and is subtle and not in your face. It really does remind me of a series like SDF Macross. Takarajima is not a serious series, the story isn’t intricate or full of twists and turns and crazy revelations. It’s straight forward and telegraphs itself clearly, but that’s fine because it’s an immensely fun ride, one that makes you feel like a kid again without treating you like one. People die, and a few episodes in particular played out like a horror film, and yet the whole experience is endearing and fun to watch. The series is not perfect, being a kid’s show it’s not mind-blowing in and of itself, and although not every episode is full of things going on, they all never the less keep you interested and engaged.

In the end, Takarajima has ended up as one of my favorite series, one with beautiful animation, charming and likeable characters and a great soundtrack that all works together to form a concoction of fun, adventure and excitement. Fifteen men on the dead man's chest...Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum! Drink and the devil had done for the rest...Yo-ho-ho,
9 out of 10
Story: 8
Animation: 9
Sound: 9
Character: 9
Enjoyment: 10
Overall: 9/10

gate keepers

.... saw it all before inn other anime... but it was fun to watch but it left some unanswered questions

7/10

gate keepers 21

much better... its much darker then the first series which is nice for a change

8/10

Psycho pass movie 7 or 8/10. I explained most of my thoughts in viewing journal but I can't decide on the score till I get my hands on a blu ray copy so I can see the action sequences in their glory :D.

One Piece Season Seven Voyage One 7/10

The Duval episodes were pretty mediocre. But once they reached Sabaody Archipelago things really took off, judging by the new titles on episode 396 it looks like in future they're going to throw everything at the wall.

Kill la kill

....... WOW just WOW I haven't seen anything like this since gurren lagann

The animation... omg the animation
The action..... omg the action
The music.... pretty decent
The characters..... fun
The story..... what ever sense it gives is pretty damn good.
The settings......... :roll: .... school..... BUT I CAN let it slide this time

I thought it was really really good but it's not on par with gurren lagann or better.... It's more under it more then anything.

I enjoyed it alot... but it doesn't get a 10/10... because I felt it could of been bigger and there are a few things that bugged me... like the life fibers are living things that cover the planet in fibers then explod making more of them .. that's how they reproduce...... but the kill la kill gang thinks it's all over.... but did they ever considered the possibility of more fibers coming from space in the future...cause they still are out there... I mean if they went out in too space and tried to get every fiber out in the universe ans make it a bigger thing then I think it would be more epic....

But il just have to give it a

9.5/10

Last edited by a moderator:
I re-watched Kinmoza, all of it (well the first season so far). I'm not sure why it's often called Kinmoza, I noticed the official site uses "Kinmosa" and that'd probably be more accurate anyway with the full name being Kin-Iro Mosaic. Maybe it's an Americanization thing (see what I did there?).

Anyway, I had forgotten just how amazingly epically brilliant the final episode is. It's a truly outstanding spectacle, that could perhaps even be good enough to make someone who despises "cute girls doing cute things" shows feel that watching the show was completely worthwhile. Okay, maybe that's unlikely but it's really very good and uses it's characters particularly well.

It's also interesting to see how things build up and develop as the show goes along. I think Ayaya actually only says "Yoko no Baka!" once (though she does use other variations on the theme).

I'm looking forward to re-watching the second season next.

The "sa" in "mosaic" is actually "ザ" (za), which explains the temptation I suppose. Not sure why people haven't adapted to the official stuff being "kinmosa", though.

Patlabor 2 - The Movie - 9.5/10

After watching the New Files OVAs, I really wanted to check out the Patlabor movies, in particular the second one, as I'd heard it was really good. And I certainly wasn't disappointed. I'd even go as far to say that this is Oshii's ultimate masterpiece, over and above the GITS movie which followed two years later. It's hard to believe this came out in 1993, the quality of the animation is mindblowingly good - taking a far more realistic look and feel compared to the OVA series. Combined with Kenji Kawai's fantastic, yet subtle score, it again captures the oppressive, grey feel of the 90s so well - and while the overall feel is definitely one of hyper realism, engaging with dense political and philosophical themes, I love the surreal touches like the recurring iconography of seagulls. Oshii really is a master of cinematography and framing of shots, and this film takes it to its peak - it really is just a gorgeous, haunting spectacle to behold, and still feels very relevant to this day. Also, probably one of the best English dubs I've ever heard.

Urusei Yatsura OVAs - 8/10

The old MVM collection of these is pretty weird, in that the OVAs are all out of order - they seem to have been arranged so the better ones are at the start, and the worse ones are all packed onto the third disc. So whilst the quality across the whole bunch is quite hit and miss, there are some real gems amongst them - Raging Sherbet, Catch the Heart and Inaba the Dreammaker in particular stick in my mind as being excellent. One thing I really like about the series is that unlike a lot of 90s anime comedy which feels very of its time, the humour here still feels pin sharp, and nicely contrasted with more poignant moments, like when Atura admits that a harem without Lum is no harem at all.

Noein - 8/10

I have to admit, I found this a bit of a slog to get through, and even now, I still don't think I'd be able to accurately describe the story as a whole. That said, what I did really like was the wider, fantastical tone to the whole series - plus the characters. There's just a real, magical wonder to the whole thing - like a world seen through a child's eyes; everything is an adventure, even your back garden or local neighbourhood. There's a real sense of hope beating at its heart too, and the power of love and friendship to overcome everything. The art style, while it takes some getting used to, is pretty cute too, and I really warmed to it in time. Haruka just drives the core of this show, and makes for a brilliant centre-point to it all too. In the end, I kind of found the conclusion a little disappointing, but the penultimate episode where you see the 'worst case scenario' of various characters' futures is super powerful and really struck a chord with me.

Ikki Tousen - Dragon Destiny - 6.5/10

I still rate Ikki Tousen as the best out of all the shameless 'battle girl' anime, partly because it basically doesn't mess about with its premise at all. While the background plot is almost indecipherable, the earthiness of the fight scenes and outright brutality of the show is hard to resist. Yes, it's super gross and pervy, to the extent that a girl seems to wet herself as she's beaten to a pulp in every episode, but the show is so relentless in its constant panty-flashes and shirt ripping you just end up giving in and enjoying it for what it is - cheap, dirty thrills. Watching the show feels dirty, feels stupid, but always entertaining. It feels properly 'physical' too - and I like that the majority of the girls actually feel like they have heft to their punches - there are no helpless loli waifs here, just pumped up bad-asses that'd kick your ass without even breaking a sweat.

Roujin Z - 7.5/10

This definitely feels like an immediate precursor to Otomo's Stinkbomb short in Memories, even calling up some of the same imagery such as a prominent tunnel sequence. And while it's obviously super-detailed, I have to admit I thought some of the animation looked quite cheap in places - it's definitely no Akira, that's for sure. In a way though, I like how it's almost an anti-Akira in that it calls up some of the same imagery in terms of out-of-control absorption, but plays it for a more comical lilt. The tone as a whole is pretty light-hearted, but with some really poignant, powerful undertones. The endless 'old person/boner' jokes got a little stale after a while too. But yeah, I liked it more than I expected to, and it definitely moves at a really strong pace.

Lutga said:
Patlabor 2 - The Movie - 9.5/10

Perhaps having context makes a difference as, having seen more of Patlabor subsequently, I now understand better why Goto is awesome, but having watched both films back when they were all that was readily available of the series, I thought the second movie was a let-down. It's not even that I'd say it was boring, I just found it unmemorable and not as satisfying as the first.

It's possible that I might have been too young to appreciate it at the time (so much of it is, to quote Daryl Surat, "old men talking in cars") and would get more from it now, but for all the praise heaped upon it, I've never managed to summon up the enthusiasm to give it another shot.

Back