Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

M3 The Dark Metal - 3/10

Frankly I found M3 just really boring. To me it felt like the show was trying to go for that Evangelion vibe with all the philosophising, edgy characters and a brooding atmosphere but it couldn't make it work in cohesive fashion and it ended up with poor pacing and dull characters that I couldn't get into. I liked some of the mecha designs but it felt poorly wriiten, drawn out and that the central theme of the lightless realm was under developed. I have to say a disappointing effort from Satelite.

Robotics;Notes

I watched this series - the third entry in the Science Adventure franchise - on a whim, not knowing anything apart from MAL's synopsis and that it was related to both Steins;Gate (great) and Chaos;Head (meh). Indeed, it is a similar affair to the previous two; a group of social misfits getting bogged down in international conspiracy. Unfortunately, it never hits the same high notes as its predecessor, Steins:Gate. Where Steins;Gate shined in ratcheting up the tension in both narrative events and character relations, Robotics;Notes fails; there are no big revelations or plot twists, only a continuous series of minor expository set pieces, amounting to a jumbled mess, many strands of plot left hanging. This is most apparent in the final act of the series, where events truly take a turn for the worse and become more akin to Chaos;Head.

6/10 - I liked Frau.

AntAce said:
Robotics;Notes

I watched this series - the third entry in the Science Adventure franchise - on a whim, not knowing anything apart from MAL's synopsis and that it was related to both Steins;Gate (great) and Chaos;Head (meh). Indeed, it is a similar affair to the previous two; a group of social misfits getting bogged down in international conspiracy. Unfortunately, it never hits the same high notes as its predecessor, Steins:Gate. Where Steins;Gate shined in ratcheting up the tension in both narrative events and character relations, Robotics;Notes fails; there are no big revelations or plot twists, only a continuous series of minor expository set pieces, amounting to a jumbled mess, many strands of plot left hanging. This is most apparent in the final act of the series, where events truly take a turn for the worse and become more akin to Chaos;Head.

6/10 - I liked Frau.

Frau is by far and away the best thing about Robotics Notes.

I have to admit, the series felt very bitter-sweet to me. There are some real tearjerking moments to it, but the plot chugs along without any of the vitality or humour of Steins Gate, and with little of the real tension. A great premise, executed rather blandly.

Lutga said:
Frau is by far and away the best thing about Robotics Notes.

I have to admit, the series felt very bitter-sweet to me. There are some real tearjerking moments to it, but the plot chugs along without any of the vitality or humour of Steins Gate, and with little of the real tension. A great premise, executed rather blandly.
It's a crime events related to Frau - her missing mother and the deaths of the top three Kill-Ballad players - weren't given more time and satisfactory conclusions. As it stands, they're left open. From what I've gathered on other forums, the Robotics;Notes Visual Novel is a good deal longer than Steins;Gate, so it never really stood a chance of coming out unscathed during the adaptation process. A real shame. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Attack on Titan 8/10

Good show. Knocked some points off for the rather OTT main character who compared to some other characters isn't as interesting. Also because some of the twists were rather over signposted.

AOT is just one of those really solid shows that's good but it's not the greatest anime ever. You can't say AOT basically. Season 2 in 2016 (most of the plot points have been spoiled by manga reading friends but oh well)

I'm interested to see the compilation film that's just come out in Japan as apparently it has much better pacing than the series (one of the series' main faults) - although I do worry it'll cut out some of the stuff that really makes you care for the secondary characters.

Arion - 10/10

Quite simply a stunning film in every respect. This is a good old fashioned adventure story, much like Laputa - Castle in the Sky, based on Greek Mythology. Its got everything, great characters, plenty of action and a interesting, rousing music and a well passed plot with some decent twists and turns and to cap it all the animation and artwork is absolutely gorgeous, right up there with Royal Space Force and Ghibli's best and has Yasuhiko's distinctive look. Arion has catapulted into my list of all time favourite anime films. I wholeheartedly recommend it anybody.

The disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - 9/10

My first re-watch of this - and I felt like I 'got' it a lot more this time. It's kind of odd too, because if you consider the main appeal of Haruhi to be Haruhi herself, then she's obviously absent for a good chunk of the running time.

Still, one of the things I've always loved most about Haruhi is how well it does 'real life' (the irony!) and the day to day minutiae of everyday life. Those scenes between Kyon and Nagato in the club room are lovely, and really give her a chance to shine too.

Dragonball season 2
7/10
while this set was good, I mainly just like Dragonball for it's tournaments if I'm being honest. Everything else to me is still decent but nothing amazing. The muscle tower episodes were great though, and gokus confrontations with General Blue were quite tense. But everything was just slightly above average.

Overall, Dragonball season 2 is good, but nothing amazing like season 1. hopefully season 3 will be better

Watched HAL. Enjoyed it, definitely 3 & a half stars out of 5 for me (works out to 7/10?). It could've done with being fleshed out with an extra 45 minutes on top but that's my only complaint, reasons being that I would've liked to see more of Hal's backstory (that looked interesting) & some more depth put into his childhood friend ..I loved the animation, the story was cute! & the twist caught me by surprise, I've seen lots of cinema so twists have a habit of being worked out early on but this one I didn't see coming, legit mouth wide open when the truth came out!

Aira company all of the series.

The bad stuff-

I won't lie sometimes this series bored me, I usually would just watch one episode after the next but I was always stuck on having 2 episodes a night because there was nothing interesting bringing me back to this series......there's no drama no killings just nothing......which brings me to

The good stuff-

Ok this is a very very very very very nice happy sad series

The characters are very very nice and fun
The story's and stuff they get up to is great.

I just love how kind the charecters are it just breaks your heart when akari is upset about the smallest things like she feels sorry for sweets that smashed on the floor.

The characters are just so lovable and likable that it makes you want to believe in humanity again.....It's a shame real people like these don't exist.

This series makes you appreciate the small things we take for granted -

Like the people we meet everyday
We use our belongings and don't appreciate them more.......
that boat episodes made me cry
And many more

It's not a sad anime like someone is dying or anything but it's more like.....good bye sadness where you meet new people or things and you say good bye or you .........

Actually Il just stop because you have to experience this series to appreciate it........

I will say this tho

If you love your

Ecchi
Action
Romance
Tragedies
Mecha
Then this series isn't for you because it is a long series to get though.....It's more like

A easy going happy series that you just want something nice for a change.

I give this series a

9/10

I'm a sucker for nice series

Puella Madoka Magica Rebellion. I'm not a massive fan of the series, but the movie really rubbed me up the wrong way. The production values are extremely good, but the story is poor and the characters aren't that good either. Homura and Kyuubey in particular are pretty different from the TV series. The first 60 minutes are really drawn out, and don't serve much of a purpose (other than the producers flexing their budget). The ending of the movie was pretty annoying too. 4 or 5 out of 10.

From The New World

From The New World is a series with it all: students, conspiracy, Hanazawa Kana, gore, expository dialogue galore, suspense, ham-fisted romance, mole rats, poorly presented moral ambiguity, and much more! That is all.

7/10 - Bonobos.

Lutga said:
Professor Irony said:
The Wind Rises (2013)

Having avoided it thus far due, frankly, to sheer lack of interest, I was pleasantly surprised to see this film was a much livelier, wittier affair than I'd expected and the level of visual craft on display is absolutely astonishing. Nevertheless, for all the fantastical flourishes and bittersweet romance, I feel the underlying narrative is so sober and low-key that it's difficult not to see it as Miyzaki going out with a respectful bow, rather than any grandoise display.

I think that was the thing that really got me about it - the sheer and utter bittersweetness of the romance that lies at the heart of the film. Also, a thing that Ghibli has always done very well - depicting that sort of halcyon-tinged memories of a more simple age, a last age of innocence before war swept all that away. Painted out against a historic backdrop too, it felt like it had all the more gravitas too.

This^

But I feel the romance felt a bit rushed.....the main thing was about plains I wished they concentrated more on the love story.....that had a lot of potential but it was more of a side story then anything......it was sooo good.

It should if been about the romance as the main focus and the plains as a minor thing in the story....I mean they did grave of the fireflies which was a heart destroyer.

I honestly swear to god this would of been a master piece if it was on the love between the two lovers and it was during the final peaceful days of before the war.....this would of been a beautiful heart braker.

But I guess it was ok

Animation brilliant as always.
Charecters good
Story you know how I feel about it.

It's a good gibli film...not the strongest but it's really good

Back