Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Cactus said:
Just finished Deadman Wonderland (Manga BD). I rate it an 8 although the ending left many things unclear. Or maybe I'm a bit dense. :)

It's a classic 'this is the first part of the manga' story unfortunately. In this case they did intend to do a part 2 to finish things off but part 1 didn't do so well in Japan, so no 2nd season. I understand they also went a little off the manga story, at least the manga is being published now and Viz should finish it rather than leave it hanging like Tokyopop.

Darker Than Black II 8/10 It was good but I think the first one is better. I was really hoping there will be more YinxHei moments but ehhh.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 9/10 The ending is really amazing. I was bored in the first episodes and only from episode 10 that things actually got interesting. It would have got a 6.5/10 from me but the ending was just so good I can't give it a low rating.

I know these aren't Japanese animation but i'm lumping these in here as I think more people will read this than the other threads in general media and I think more people should watch these pieces of Korean Animation.

The King of Pigs

Dark, gripping and unflinching Korean animated film about two high school friends who meet up after 15 years and reminisce about one term at school where they dealt with bullies, social class systems and a mentally unstable third friend. The animation took a while to get used to and the subtitles on this Korean release were rather poor but the film was superb. Often violent, moreover unsettling.

7.5/10

The Fake

Second animated feature from the director of The King of Pigs and if I thought that was dark then it had nothing on this. A harrowing critique on organised religion, cults and moreso the willingness of people to blindly accept these things in their times of needs.

Bleak and brutal throughout with scenes of intense domestic abuse and a devastating finale, this film is an ugly, miserable, depressing masterclass of film making let alone animation.

9/10

One Piece Movie Collection 1
Meh. Nothing special really. Ill do a little mini review for each one.

Movie 1
5/10
Nothing special here. Typical shonen village wants something (in this case gold) But Luffy and crew are out to stop his evil ways. There's literally not much to say about this movie. It's just your average shonen movie, but only an hour long. The villains were flat and the plot was forgettable. Only redeeming factor was Luffys fight with El Drago. Also, why in the hell did he look like a lion?

Movie 2
6/10
Better than the first, but still not great. Same kind of story as the first but only minor changes. Luffy and crew lose their ships to some bad guys, the go to an island stop beat bad guys and save the island yadda yadda yadda. Again, story wasn't so good and the villains, While more interesting than the first movies villains, weren't wonderful. The fight scenes were nice though. Everyone (apart from nami) had a villain to fight. Sanji probably had the best out of the lot.

Movie 3
7/10
The best out of the 3. The story was a lot more interesting than the others, the villains were more intriguing and the fight scenes were great. The final fight was a blast. I also liked how this movie centred around Chopper aswell.

Overall, One Piece Movie Collection 1 is for die hard fans only. You're not in particularly missing much from these "movies" if you don't purchase this DVD. I use the term movie very loosely because they felt more like specials to me.

Legendary ninja cats

This was an extremely fun series to watch

Funny characters
Adorable cute characters
Forthwall jokes
Funny moments
Innocent

Even the bad guys are somewhat likeable

It's the formula ever episode.............a sort of monster of the week if you will sort of.

It doesn't have a great story but just a fun cute thing to watch.

It's aged but not so much

8.5/10

Read or Die: The TV Series

Thoroughly enjoyed the first half of the story, but a point came in the second half where certain characters began grating on me, I couldn't see eye to eye with the motivations of a certain main character and I actually started rooting for the antagonists. It gopt to a point where key emotional scenes had no effect on me because I just wasn't on the characters sides.

The OVA is fantastic and I can see myself rewatching it again but the TV series not so much.

8/10 (first 13)
5/10 (second 13)

xxxholic The Movie: A Midsummer Nights Dream

I love the xxxholic TV series, and after watching this I long for the day when it is given a BD release and someone licenses the OVAs. Nice story, good pacing, just wish it had been 30/35 minutes longer.

8/10

Dante's Inferno An Animated Epic
8/10
Third time watching this movie and I actually liked it this time! Third times the charm I guess.
The story is simple but fun: Dante has come back from a crusade to find his beloved Beatrice killed, Lucifer takes her to hell, Dante has to go through the 9 circles of hell to rescue her and some other stuff happens along the way. If you've played the game you know what to expect.

The movies biggest pro is that the movie is animated by 5 different studios (Studio JM animated two segments I think), but at the same time it could be considered it's biggest weakness. The studios being: Film Roman, Manglobe, JM animation, Dong Woo animation and Production I.G. They all do a great job and the animation is good, but some of the animation in a couple of the segmants were a lil sloppy. The animation is Fraud, while not bad, was definitely the weakest of the bunch. The lip syncing is off and some of the shots look laughably bad. Also Production I.G. while, better than the previous studio, did a above average job on Treachery. Again the lip syncing was weird and they reused a shot a couple times. Manglobe (who made Samurai Champloo) on the other hand did a wonderful job in Limbo. They made it look very creepy and atmospheric. ALso the animation in Violence (which I think was done by JM animation) was good!

It's nice that every studio had it's own style and version of Dante. It made the movie feel fresh, but I wish some of the animation could have been better. Also, I might have gotten the studio wrong with the segmants that they animated. If anyone does know what part the studios animated could ya please tell me which would be great!

Apart from that there isn't much to say. It's a no brainer, violent action packed movie with an interesting plot and some fantastic fight scenes. Plus this is the first time watching it on Blu-ray and it looks Beautiful.

Overall, Dante's inferno is great fun. If you liked the game then you should check this out.

Strike Witches Season 1 - 9/10

Really enjoyed this, quite suprised at how much i liked it. It was the perfect combination of sci-fi, action and comedy.

Time to buy Season 2 :D

Great teacher onizuka

Well...............It's was pretty damn good.

I just love onizuka his such a lovable character ..........He's just like a big kid mixed in with other big kids......

He slowly but surely helps out his students with there problems.... along the way he gets in to goofy antics like a kid but at the same time he can be responsible when he wants too

The animations aged a bit but that doesn't matter
The characters are ether interesting or enjoyable to watch
The story I would say is above average
The setting is in school but for this series I give it a pass because as much as I think school settings are over used ....this series is pretty damn good

He's also on giggiuks top 20 coolests character list.

But the one problem is with the last few episodes......they are rushed and didn't go any deeper or last any longer .......It's like they needed to finish it fast or something.

But besides that......pretty decent series.

9/10

Great Teacher Onizuka is a series I need to get back around to watching and eventually finishing, the episodes I saw were fantastic.

Mysterious Girlfriend X

This is a series that I first heard of back when it was being broadcast in 2012, but I never got around to watching it. I must admit that this was due to me finding the premise to be a bit... unusual. For those that don't know, it centers around two high school students, Akira Tsubaki and Mikoto Urabe. Mikoto is an unusual girl, she sleeps during lunch break, makes no effort to engage with anyone or tries to befriend her fellow students, and one day she burst outs in a hysterical fit of laughter (later explained at the end of episode 1). One day Akira forgets his lunch box and goes back up to get it, only to find Mikoto still there, sleeping and wakes her up, after she leaves, he notices a bit of saliva on her table and for some reason, proceeds to pick up a piece and lick it. This causes the two to have a bond, which allows them to transfer their emotions via their saliva, but can also make Akira sick from withdrawal symptoms of this "love sickness" if he doesn't acquire said saliva on a regular basis.

So, why is this unusual? Well, the reason why I personally find this to be unusual, is because, besides this "drool bond" (and Mikoto's prowess with a pair of scissors), this series has it's feet placed firmly on the ground, within reality. In most other shows, there would be an exposition early on (probably within the plot synopsis along with the drool bond) that would explain Mikoto's strange behaviour, like being a superhero by night, or an intergalactic space demon or some other zany thing the human mind can think up. But nope, she just appears to be a normal, human girl, and a mysterious one at that.

I have to say, that watching the first two or three episodes, I wasn't really sure if I liked this series, because this series is fairly realistic in it's setting and I wasn't sure if I was really supposed to find Mikoto a sympathetic character given how strange she is with little to no explanation, I was genuinely fearing for Akira's safety more than anything else (any sane person would). But, after watching more episodes, I found a sense of enjoyment that I haven't had from a Rom-Com since I first watched Kare Kano. The relationship is established early on (within the first episode in fact) and from there on in it's about Akira and Mikoto growing together as a couple, Akira trying to become more mature and responsible (he acts like a right doofus in some episodes, episode 8 being a prime example of this, it's not afraid of getting a bit dark at times) and also seeing more of Mikoto's personality as time goes on and her willingness to let other people in her life.

My only complaint is that this series was not long enough and the ending was a bit weak (it blatantly sets itself up for a second season), though I can understand why seeing how many volumes were probably released before the show went into production. It's a shame, because shows like this are generally quite niche, with little to no hope for a second season in sight (I'm still waiting on a Nyan Koi! sequel damnit!), so I guess it's time to go and read the manga to satisfy my needs.

8/10

Attack on Titan

Cramming this into my face has filled pretty much any spare time I could make for the last week or so, but suddenly, it was done. It's certainly not without some minor problems, particularly involving pacing into the second half, but not since Code Geass was new and exciting have I seen a series so successfully grab my attention and not let go until it was done.

The bar has been raised for shonen action anime; I only hope that future installments can reach the same highs and that other shows that follow learn something from its example.

The Devil is a Part-Timer

Did not turn out how I expected (thought it was just going to be a pure comedy set in a fast food restaurant) but was pleasantly surprised about how it turned out. A likeable cast of characters, good pacing and an interesting backstory. Visually it looked great on BD and the action was animated well.

I just wish there was more of it as when the 13 episodes were over I just wanted to keep watching! Tempted to pick up the light novels when they start getting released next year.

8/10

Black Butler Season 2

Thoroughly enjoyed this season. Some good new characters, and interesting plot and a pretty good ending in terms of a twist. Animation and fights were superb. I know this and a good portion of season 1 aren't canon to the BB story so i'm rather looking forward to the proper manga storyline being continued in the circus series that is airing at the moment.

Gonna watch the 6 OVA episodes over the next week.

8/10

animefreak17 said:
Garzeys wing

Dear God this was awful

The editing is terrible
The pacing is terrible
I was so confused and almost drop off to sleep 3 times.......It's that awful

1/10
:eek: You gave something 1/10? There exists an anime that even you don't like?

Back