Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Actually I thought Baccano was pure style over substance with poor direction. For my tastes it's actually on my list of worst series I've ever completed watching (though there are more than enough I've given up on, even when I've been buying them).

All down to personal tastes of course.

I still reckon in under 5 years time (4 now as I originally said 5 when it came out) no one will remember it.

dapprman said:
I still reckon in under 5 years time (4 now as I originally said 5 when it came out) no one will remember it.
It was broadcast nearly six years ago. The LNs have been enjoyed by people for a decade.

ilmaestro said:
dapprman said:
It was broadcast nearly six years ago. The LNs have been enjoyed by people for a decade.
Was it that long ago - I try to forget about it.

Here's one where I can get accused of bad taste :)
Just finished Girls und Panzer. Loved it - though it should be noted I never grew up when it came to tanks and have been playing World of Tanks since the early beta days. It certainly will not be everyone's cup of tea though.
6/10 (but for me 8/10)

Chrono Crusade

The ADV trailer makes this out to be a demonic action comedy (heavy emphasis on comedy) following a monster of the week format. Well the action is there, and so is the comedy. Well, the comedy is initially at the forefront, because midway through things take a turn for the darker and sombre. Very early too, the MOTW format is abandoned for a long-term overarching storyline.

It's all handled rather well; I certainly wasn't bored by this. Animation is adequate, and the 5.1 surround reminds me just how good ADV was at mixing a multichannel soundtrack. My respects go also to ADV's VA pool for making the English track my preferred choice. I doubt their Japanese counterparts would be as adept at nailing the accents, dialects and colloquialisms of the 1920's USA. Tiffany Grant still goes overboard with her German accent though...

Ultimate respect must go to the writers, if for no other reason because they leave the characters to their fate and don't cop out with any forced happy endings. I'm not saying that I wouldn't have wanted a happier ending, but I respect the writers for sticking to their guns.

For that it gets 8/10.

Baka & Test S2 - 7/10

Turned out a lot better than I thought it would after the dismal first two episodes, but still not quite up to the standard of S1. But the second series does have one of my favourite episodes of anime in recent years, the Minami transfer student one, with its perfect blend of humour and sweetness (I totally didn't have a tear in my eye at the end, fyi). I can't say the same for the later Yuuji/Shouko episode, though, which was played far too straight for a series that's ninety percent stupid.

Biggest laugh of the show was when Minami's altered summon form was revealed. I genuinely lolled at that, and I hardly ever lol at anything.

Lawrence said:
In short, Baccano is the greatest cake ever baked and everyone should take a slice while they still can.
10/10
Very much top ten material.

Agreed on all counts! Defintely top 10 material, I'm confident it will be in my top 10 not only in the next 5 years, but also in the next 10.

Teo

ilmaestro said:
dapprman said:
I try to forget about it.
I hope you succeed within the next four years, would be quite ironic to prove yourself wrong despite the effort!
Does happen from time to time - after all those songs I hated in the 80s I now find myself singing to .... :roll:

Tamako Market - 4/10

People wonder why I dislike Kyoto Animation so much at the moment, Tamako Market is one of the reasons why, a series that introduced so many characters, ideas, relationships, romance moments and forgets about them so they can focus on bland humor, Moe antics and boring events.

Positives are few, we can all talk about great production values and slightly decent comedic timing, like what all Kyoto Animation shows do but that's it, Tamako is one of the most blandest female main characters of the winter season, only being nice for the sake of being nice, while at the start of the show, I appreciated the K-ON director for bringing in male characters, they are never used interestingly (except for Tamakos Father). Dera who is also a main character (and is a talking bird), provides to comic relief with little success, while providing the link to the plot.

Wait, Tamako Market has a plot? It does, but the Slice Of Life stuff always gets in the way, it's introduced in episode 2 and keeps getting interrupted until episode 10. By the end of the series, it's basically one big misunderstanding. This pissed me off, this is a terrible way to build up a show and just do something really stupid with it.

It's just a big massive waste of time and because this is the studios 1st original project, i'm unimpressed. Tamako Market is with Da Capo III and Oreshura as some of the worst shows i've watched this winter season.

Oh yeah, Kanna is a pointless, unfunny, character.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gundam 00 first season

Well I will say it, this is probably the best gundam series iv ever seen ( well so far it's the first season and I don't really know what the second season will do )

But the first had me going YES!!!!!!!!!! Kick there ass gundams.

The animations really nice
The plot and story is good * it's pretty believable in some parts*
I liked some of the characters.
The musics great

* I wished it was more PG rating tho*

I'l say this it blows away
Seed and seed destiny and wing.

But if there was one thing I had to say bad about it and you only see it for a few seconds-
At the end I saw that stupid mask that you see in every gundam series. I swear I'm really getting tired of seeing that stupid thing

Iv seen it in
Wing
Seed
Seed destiny
And a few gundam movies

Can they make a gundam series with out that stupid mask it's way way passed it's stay

Besides that I like this first season of this series

9.5/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Ninku the movie

Well I now know where naruto got all it's inspiration from, I swear I could see where they got it from.

This shouldn't be called a movie it should be called a OVA because it's 25 min long with nothing, its a ep of the series.

The main character of the series looks just stupid, with his goofy looks and his tongue popped out.

Nothing special about this movie or should I say ep of the series.

Maybe if I watched the series I might just get in to it bu as for the movie, it's crap.

5/10

Tetsujin 28 Vol.1 & 2 (The only volumes that were released in the UK. These two volumes consist of 5 episodes each)
6.5/10
I Bought these seeing as they were dirt cheap on Amazon. I thought it was surprising that Manga ent. cancelled after only two volumes due to poor sales, So i was curious to see if it was that bad. And is it? Well it was'nt THAT bad but its far from perfect.

First of all i wanted to say, i LOVED the design for Tetsujin himself. Simple but really badarse looking. Definately one of the better mecha designs I've seen. The other robot designs were good, but were'nt as effective. The designs for the characters were also decent, although Shotaro made some really herp derp faces every now and then (episode 9 especially). Another aspect i liked was the fact that the characters looked so simple and kid freindly, but the show is actually surprisingly dark and deals with mature themes like death and the pressure of WWII. So these 2 fusions of different styles were very interesting. Lastly I really enjoyed the opening for this show. Its very catchy! Even to the point of me downloading it for my MP3 which i rarely do these days.

Now for the things i didnt like.

For a mecha show, it doesnt really contain many mecha fight scenes. There were a few but not as many as i was expecting. They werent really all that good anyway. Some of the episode plots dragged on a little too much, Like the story of the Frankenstein monster. Not only did it drag but it was pretty boring and the outcome was very predictable. The animation was average. Nothing terrible, but nothing great eaither. The characters were'nt all that ninteresting eaither. They did'nt really have much of a personality. Shotaro is a poor mans Detective Conan.

Now my biggest gripe with this show: It is SOOOOO depressing!!! I've havnt seen a show THIS down in ages!! I didnt mind it all that much at first, but after a while it just got jarring! Evangelion has some competition in terms of depression!

So about it being cancelled. I think the reason why it did'nt do so well is probably because of its slow pace, uninteresting characters, lack of mecha battles and its overwhelming sad themes. But thats just me.

Overall Tetsujin 28 is a fairly decent mecha show. Would i continue watching it online? No. Do i regret watching it? No. Take it for what it is with its cheap price and give it a watch for yourself.

Highschool of the Dead

I’m not a fan of the horror genre, which is why I thoroughly enjoyed Shaun of the Dead. It wasn’t so much a horror as it was a comedy set within a horror environment. Likewise, Highschool of the Dead can be considered an action title that just happens to be set in a background of a worldwide zombie apocalypse. And what a setting it is, what with the worldwide breakdown of social order and rapidly diminishing resources and infrastructure. And yet the USA still wants to launch its nukes at perceived hostile nations — is it really that much of a stretch, I ask you. I am somewhat heartened by a scene depicting the global zombie infestation rate that shows Cape Town as one of the few unaffected areas. Must be our slow, laidback attitude.

Anyway, as an action-horror, HOTD is a resounding success. The series starts at full tilt and manages to maintain the pervasive sense of dread and the high energy for its entire duration. There are some lighter moments as well, most notably the one involving mammary glands, bullet trajectories and sharp recoil. Even character development weighs in rather well, making it easier to root for our characters who want to survive but who also want to retain their humanity in all the surrounding madness. That includes Saya, despite her generally unpleasant attitude.

What really impressed me was the quality of the English dub. Each and every one of the primary VA’s deliver tour de force renditions, capturing the resolve, the uncertainty and the vulnerability of their characters perfectly. The standout here must be Jessica Boone as Rei. I always thought she was being pigeonholed in light and frothy, mostly romantic roles back in her ADV days — for crying out loud, she was the voice of Misaki Suzuhara in Angelic Layer! —, but here she displays her full range with her character and is not even afraid to drop a few well-timed f-bombs as well. Taylor Hannah also impresses as Saeko, by slipping comfortably into her cool, confident demeanour. And I’d be remiss not to mention Mark X. Laskowski, always a supporting actor in his ADV days, now a remarkable lead as Kohta Hirano. Really though, there’s not a single dud line from any of the main characters.

What more can I say? The action’s good, the suspense is good, and the characters deserve your support.

Final result: 8.5/10

Not a bad score, I reallly liked HOTD and I truly hope for a second season ........... Maybe a third season. I mean ok the fan service was a lil over board with it's matrix style but it's great non the less

Dragon Ball - 8/10

As i've stated before, it just got better and better and finished very nicely with the Piccolo Jr. Saga, although I thought it would have ended pretty soon after Goku and Piccolo's battle. The whole rescuing the Ox King felt a bit added on and I thought they could wrapped up the show in one episode after that but didn't really spoil it, just ended a bit timid. Overall a series that took a while to find its stride but once it did, it was very enjoyable.

Favourite Saga's
1. Piccolo Jr Saga
2. Tien Shinhan Saga
3. Tournament Saga
4. King Piccolo Saga

Now for DBZ :D

Back