Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

bakuman season 1 8/10

Its a good series. The type of serie that the main characters grow up aiming to reach the top like the great beck or hajime no ippo among others. Bakuman was not exciting as those two I've mentioned but was great in his way and i'm looking foward to start seeing season two in the next days.

bakum4tsu said:
bakuman season 1 8/10

Its a good series. The type of serie that the main characters grow up aiming to reach the top like the great beck or hajime no ippo among others. Bakuman was not exciting as those two I've mentioned but was great in his way and i'm looking foward to start seeing season two in the next days.

Interesting, I think it's a fantastic series, it doesn't make their struggle seem easy, while still giving a sense of progression, Season 2 has not been quite as consistent in my opinion.

tokyo godfathers 8/10

Somehow i just saw this movie today and it was really good to see. Different characters and story with some good and dark animation.

FMA-Brotherhood-wow what can i say that has not already been said,pure perfection in every way,all killer no filler is the name of the game here,the series flows with such ease and its characters and story grow with each episode,nothing feels forced,the characters bring something new to the story each episode,and thats the shows greatest strength,its characters each and everyone of them has a story to tell,each story is vital to the overall plot,an emotinal rollercoaster ride that easily makes it one of the finest series ever made and a true classic and some of the action scenes and fights are some of the best you will see in a anime series,everything from the pace,music,voice acting to the animation are as close to perfection you will get,yeah as you can guess i loved this series and i,m very tempted to re-watch asap yep it is that good.10/10.

Saw Akira again last night at The Prince Charles Cinema in London. The third time I've seen it at the cinema in less than a year!

Still the greatest example of anime ever made. I genuinely feel sorry for people that got introduced to the medium through the likes of Naruto and K-on or whatever you call it, rather than having their brain melted at a young age watching Tetsuo transform into a giant ball bag.

Eleventy out of 10.

Kaede said:
Saw Akira again last night at The Prince Charles Cinema in London. The third time I've seen it at the cinema in less than a year!

Still the greatest example of anime ever made. I genuinely feel sorry for people that got introduced to the medium through the likes of Naruto and K-on or whatever you call it, rather than having their brain melted at a young age watching Tetsuo transform into a giant ball bag.

Eleventy out of 10.

Indeed!! Old school anime is the best and akira is one hell of a classic.

Kaede said:

Eleventy out of 10.

:cry: I only saw Akira for the first time when it aired on syfy last year and loved it. although i only got seriously into anime after naruto back in 2006, my first anime was Voltron back in the 90s in my homeland of zambia so does that mean i'm i that same category or not?? :?

Kaede said:
When last I heard, The Prince Charles were using an aged master for screenings of such a film, rife with signs of deterioration. Is that still the case?

Kaede said:

Eleventy out of 10.
Pity it's unknown (or even actively hated by anime fans) in Japan and has no influence on anything after.
Also us people bought up on pokemon have often never seen it (couldn't get hold of it easily until the BD release)

Reaper gI said:
Pity it's unknown (or even actively hated by anime fans) in Japan and has no influence on anything after.

Seriously, unknown? Hated? This surely can't be true. It would....just make no sense.

Also us people bought up on pokemon have often never seen it (couldn't get hold of it easily until the BD release)

Pokemon was probably one of the first anime I saw, and Akira was pretty easy to get a hold of when I was first getting into anime. In fact it was probably part of the first wave of anime videos I bought (though not the very first one I bought, that was GITS), I remember it had that awful cover. I even bought it again when it was released on DVD with that fancy cover.

Though, it's not necessarily the best gateway anime. I remember I loved it so much that I would tell all my friends about it. One day a friend was at my house and asked if we could watch this film I was on about, so I excitedly put the film on, thinking that Akira would surely turn him into an anime enthusiast like me in no time. The reality however, was that he sat there completely blank faced for 3/4 of the film. Even the most visceral and thrilling action moments were unable to stop him from looking like he was only just about about managing to restrain himself from walking out, for fear of being rude. I didn't intend to put the poor guy through suffering so when it became abundantly clear Akira just wasn't going to melt his mind, I turned it off and suggested we go outside, he looked genuinely relieved.... :(

^ I know that feel. I once had a friend over and he suggested we watch Evangelion 1.11, because he knew I was pretty excited for it pre-release.

To be fair though, Evangelion 2.22 was when the Rebuild films started getting good.

It's different for us, really, where the classic example is always a teenager or person in their 20s being shown Akira and being blown away by the lush animation and insane plot. Over in Japan, of course, the path to fandom tends to be quite different, so the reverence that people of a certain age here have for the film isn't on the same level.

However, I'd say it's actually fairly similar in Japan, in that the average person on the street wouldn't know a thing about Akira but people deeply into that subculture would remember it. Sounds familiar?

There was an Akira reference in a certain popular anime not long ago, so saying it has "no influence on anything" is simply wrong.

Evidence.

R

Reaper gI said:
us people bought up on pokemon
Who are "us people"?

vashdaman said:
Reaper gI said:

Seriously, unknown? Hated? This surely can't be true. It would....just make no sense.
I can vouch anecdotally to some extent to the "unknown" part, at least amongst the people you would expect to know about it. When I was staying in a Uni dorm in Japan ten years ago, the guys there who were into anime had at best name-recognition of it, none of them had seen it. Some of them literally didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned the name.

I would be surprised if it wasn't more well known by people actually in the industry though, of course.

sengoku basara season 2 7.5/10

Honestly, it was more of the same and the battles were less spectacular than first season. I enjoyed better the first because it was something new and i didnt appreciate the idea of the right arm of Date Masamune being arrested almost all the second season. The final battle against Toyotomi was kinda let down too.

Anyway, it was ok/good and i'm looking foward to see the movie.

ilmaestro said:
Reaper gI said:
Who are "us people"?
I presume Reaper is using "us people" in the form of a colloquialism to mean "the people" because he includes himself in that group, rather than with the intention of speaking for everyone present.

Carry on.

ayase said:
ilmaestro said:
Reaper gI said:
Who are "us people"?
I presume Reaper is using "us people" in the form of a colloquialism to mean "the people" because he includes himself in that group, rather than with the intention of speaking for everyone present.

Carry on.
Yes, I understand that, but who are the[se] people? These swathes of Pokemon lovers who have migrated over to watching other anime? Really?

I think Pokemon was the first thing that made quite a few kids of the past decade or so in the UK aware of anime (or at least that something identifiably Japanese was "cool") and ultimately some of them became fans, yeah. I'd say it was fairly significant.

Back