Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

No. 6 - 7/10

Gah, this could have been so much better. The show went *no-where* from about eps 3-7, was spectacular in eps 9 and 10, and then managed to pull a thoroughly representative uneven final episode out of its hat.

What I loved was the world set-up, Nezumi, Sion's Mom, Dog Keeper, and the central conspiracy around which the plot revolved. But they didn't expand on that well enough, they rushed to close off some plot strands in the last ep, tried to sell me on Sion/Safu as a really key relationship after making the whole rest of the show about Nezumi/Sion, and had an even more controversial back-from-the-dead ending than T&B.

The moments towards the end of ep 11 though, Sion's Mom clutching the notes and then running to find him, Nezumi and Sion's parting, and the epic ending song kicking in once again brought the show back up to the level it should have been at far more often.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian Wolf said:
Appleseed OVA

For what is described as a dystopia there is not much of a dystopian feel to this. The place on the whole looks rather nice - although admittedly there is a lack of free will. Not great in my view, but maybe the more modern films are better. On the plus side, you do get a cheap laugh from the fact there's a man called Karen.

Score: 4 / 10
It's not what you would call a traditional dystopia, it feels more like a utopia because that is what some people consider to be dystopic if you get what I mean.

I'm surprised you didn't moan about the poor subtitles (more like dubtitles).

memorium said:
Ian Wolf said:
Appleseed OVA

For what is described as a dystopia there is not much of a dystopian feel to this. The place on the whole looks rather nice - although admittedly there is a lack of free will. Not great in my view, but maybe the more modern films are better. On the plus side, you do get a cheap laugh from the fact there's a man called Karen.

It's not what you would call a traditional dystopia, it feels more like a utopia because that is what some people consider to be dystopic if you get what I mean.

Yes, the subtitles did feel as if it came from the days when MangaUK were trying to make their films ruder than they were. Some of the insults they came up with didn't make sense at all.

Ian Wolf said:
memorium said:
Ian Wolf said:
Appleseed OVA

Yes, the subtitles did feel as if it came from the days when MangaUK were trying to make their films ruder than they were. Some of the insults they came up with didn't make sense at all.
That's because they were, those subs are actually the script for the dub, I watched them back to back to make sure that it wasn't a dodgy DVD too, JPT discussed this with me when I reviewed Appleseed a while back

memorium said:
Ian Wolf said:
memorium said:
Ian Wolf said:
Appleseed OVA

That's because they were, those subs are actually the script for the dub, I watched them back to back to make sure that it wasn't a dodgy DVD too, JPT discussed this with me when I reviewed Appleseed a while back

Is any of this mentioned in the DVD commentary?

have you heard the word

birdy birdy birdy birdys the word
you have to watch the birdy
i swaer this chick birdy is spicy

ok now that iv got the jokes out the way.

it was a ok anime the story good
the main characters crack
the first half of the series was grand but the second half wasn't as good as the first half.
it kept me entertained so il give it a pass -
8/10

"the main characters crack"? Does this mean they were good as in "addictive like crack", or bad as in "they were crack like the one in between my bum cheeks"? Or did you just mean crap?

animefreak17 said:
ilmaestro said:
Maybe he meant "craic"?
i watching the 100 greatest scariest moments and michael jacksons thriller came up and the guy who directed it said the dancing was crack, so i thought it ment bad ass or wicked or great

It's more of an Irish word than American.

maybe i shouldn't use the work crack anymore.

anyways
TO 2001 nights
its basically two stories that has only 1 thing in common, and that 1 thing is that its all about people in space.
the cgi is crap
the stories are 40 mins long each

6/10

Monster 10/10

Fantastic show about morality, humanity and good and evil. It really couldn't have ended any other way IMO. At least not satisfyingly and this reference on TV tropes makes it even better as far as I'm concerned: Johan is supposedly The Anti Christ, and according to some legends about The Antichrist, he is supposed to suffer two head injuries before going on his ultimate rampage.

But unfortunately, like another excellent show, The Wire, it's almost too long for its own good. It's certainly not something you can rewatch often and it's also not especially episodic so it's hard to pick out single episodes to enjoy. I would still buy the lot if it was released here though.

kirameki project
it was a 5 episode long giant robot girly anime
it was really funny even tho it was subtitled
the giant robots was cgi and the main robot was a female lol
the anime was short and simple

7/10

princess princess

i was bored with the first few episodes but it get interesting in the middle of the series.
its about 3 guys at a all boy school and there job is to keep the guys happy. i was like................. so there going to make every guy in the school like cross-dressers lol. but each of the guys have there own problems but one of them has a crazy sister whos nuts over her brother, its really good.
anyways il give it a satisfactory
7/10

Mayonnaise Chicken (Mayo Chiki) -

Episode 12 was pretty much the end of the series so let the review commence.

So in the end did this rom-com harem break the trend of averageness?

With a very poor first episode introducing us to are three main characters: Subaru, Kinjirou and *sigh* Kanade, in an unrealistic, bland way, I at least got promise that started to crop up around not long after that, with Subaru and Kinjirou getting some character development and genuine romantic feelings when both are left alone, I felt that this was Mayo Chiki's biggest strength.

In the end it was ruining by a generic and unlikeable supporting cast, along with Kanade who is supposed to help Kinjirou with his gynophobia but it turns out that everything she does causes harm to either Subaru or Kinjirou and you never guess what? Kinjirou gynophobia never gets cured!!, I would even nominate her for worst female of the year along with Houki from Infinite Statros.

The supporting cast is bland as well:
Masamune: Unlikeable tsundere who has no friends at the start, nothing to make me feel sorry for her.
Kureha: Kinjirou sister, wrestling fanatic, always seems to make Kinjirou mornings a living hell, backstory comes to late in the series, dislike her.
Nakuru: Episode 13 is devoted to her, don't care, unlikeable.
Nagare: Kanade father, seems to whine rather than showing any support for his daughter, always there as a punch bag.

Mayo Chiki at least doesn't have a Harem ending but all these faults I cannot ignore, from all the series i've been watching this summer season, it is my worst. (I'm sure there are worser series this season) I would instead watch both Maria Holic series again -_-

5/10

Hanasaku Iroha -

Last season the two cour anime like Tiger & Bunny, Steins;Gate and Kaiji S2, the ones of watched have been phenominal and entertaining as hell, unfortunately Hanasaku Iroha was the only series I wasn't bothered to look forward to every Sunday.

I don't really know why because the series was very good at giving us a heartwarming and sometimes dramatic show, having the maximum 26 episodes to flesh out the characters and give us a glimpse on how hard it is to run a traditional hot springs inn.

It started off really well with some some comical memorable episodes and weird relationship with Ko and Ohana which I really wanted to be more developed on the second half.

Unfortunately when that 2nd half kicked in, I started to lost interest. It might of been because I really did prefer Usagi Drop & Ikoku Croisée and found them more interesting. Another is the focus on Yuina one of the supporting cast that P.A.Works seem to promote with are main characters, I didn't really like her arc that much.

In matter of fact except for the last three episodes, I can't really remember that much of it, it really is a shame.

To me Hanasaku Iroha suffers the same fate as K-ON! as that it's not that special to me but I can see why people really like it, it's just that i've seen better and more interesting Slice Of Life anime, I would still recommend it but a good rating is all it will get.

Why couldn't I Fest It Up, WHY!?

7/10

Kamisama no Memochou -

Calling Kamisama no Memochou an improvement to what J.C.Staff has given to us this year is just about right but it still felt disappointing in the end.

The 1st episode was really well done, giving us 48 minutes to enjoy an intruging arc and introduction.

But then came in the arc that involved stealing womens clothes or the baseball episode for a character that wasn't involved with the plot or the fan-service that J.C.Staff seems to always put in.

You can see why, I'm already griping and that's unfair, the last arc and some well done mystery twists keep the series from being boring, it's unique urban atmosphere also is a big plus for me.

It's just the usual silly J.C.Staff moments and a lack of character devolpment that kill a must-watch recommendation for me, still if you want a decent mystery show, then give it a shot.

7/10

Only Kaiji S2 and Dantalian no Shoka left.

Back