Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Why is there no dislike button? 😜

People who were here when it aired will tell you how much I raved about it.
The 3rd of my 4 10/10s that's been talked about tonight.
The other is Chihayafuru season 3, for the record.

Chihayafuru is actually on my list to check out sometime, only not started due to being fairly longish.

What are your 4 10/10's?

Chihayafuru is actually on my list to check out sometime, only not started due to being fairly longish.

What are your 4 10/10's?
Tokyo Godfathers, Only Yesterday, APFTTU and Chihayafuru s3

With Chihayafuru s3 it was more of the same, but MORE if you know what I mean. I only watched s1&2 in the build up to s3 so it was all fresh in my mind and like you said that totals 70 odd episodes. So I'd spent all that time with the cast, so you get to know them really well.

Tokyo Godfathers, Only Yesterday, APFTTU and Chihayafuru s3

With Chihayafuru s3 it was more of the same, but MORE if you know what I mean. I only watched s1&2 in the build up to s3 so it was all fresh in my mind and like you said that totals 70 odd episodes. So I'd spent all that time with the cast, so you get to know them really well.

Thanks for replying with the list, Tokyo Godfathers I guess is on the Satoshi hit list, not heard of Only Yesterday before, Chihayafuru definitely one I do want to try at some point, I understand it's based around a card game of some kind.

I probably haven't seen as much as you but I've only had 2 10/10's in my head so far, Monogatari and Madoka. Stuff like this is so subjective though!

Only Yesterday
It's a SOL film directed by Takahata for Studio Ghibli. A 20-something OL from Tokyo goes on a working holiday to the countryside and has various reminiscences about her 10 year old self. The present parts are original and the reminiscent parts are an adaptation of a manga. I really can't say what it is I like about it because I'm not a 20-something Japanese OL and her memories are from 60s Japan which is a time and place I have no experience of! But I guess everybody have things there nostalgic for and I love the ending.
Monogatari and Madoka
Monogatari is one of those series that I'll probably never get into as it seems over complex with the order of things and also the cost with most of it not streaming.
Madoka I have and is also streaming, but is one of those series that was so impactful that everybody talks about it so parts have been spoiler-ed. Though I doubt I would ever watch it if all I knew was that it was a magical girl show. The twist is what makes it interesting.

Only Yesterday is a big Studio Ghibli favorite of mine too, I prefer the slice-of-life Ghibli films over most of the fantasy ones, so When Marnie was There, Only Yesterday, From Up on Poppy Hill, Whisper of the Heart, and Ocean Waves are all in my Top 10 Ghibli list. Even Porco Rosso I consider more slice-of-life than fantasy, and it's in my Top 10 too. I really feel that Ghibli saved the best for last; when Marnie came out, it shot into my #1 spot, over Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke.

It's a SOL film directed by Takahata for Studio Ghibli. A 20-something OL from Tokyo goes on a working holiday to the countryside and has various reminiscences about her 10 year old self. The present parts are original and the reminiscent parts are an adaptation of a manga. I really can't say what it is I like about it because I'm not a 20-something Japanese OL and her memories are from 60s Japan which is a time and place I have no experience of! But I guess everybody have things there nostalgic for and I love the ending.

Monogatari is one of those series that I'll probably never get into as it seems over complex with the order of things and also the cost with most of it not streaming.
Madoka I have and is also streaming, but is one of those series that was so impactful that everybody talks about it so parts have been spoiler-ed. Though I doubt I would ever watch it if all I knew was that it was a magical girl show. The twist is what makes it interesting.

Thanks, I think I need to sit down with all of the Ghibli ones sometime and work out which ones I want to try, I wouldn't write any of them off as not worth trying unless that is a wider consensus, or in some cases where they are released under the Ghibli name but not actually made by them like that Turtle one.

Monogatari does have a slightly confusing watch order, but it kind of makes sense once you get into it. To be fair it's a bigger commit like you said, although the starting point is usually Bakemonogatari, which would be a good barometer as to whether you'd enjoy the rest.

Madoka I only knew a little about, I knew it had a twist and was more than it seemed, but I had no idea on anything beyond that really, so I was fortunate enough to go and watch it without spoilers! It also helped that it has a similar scenery design as Monogatari which I saw before it, SHAFT made both I think.

AFAIK the only dub is this one that's 50% English, 50% Japanese, unless they recorded a new one for the blu-ray.
Probably just me getting confused 😂 It has been many years since I watched it and my memory is terrible 😂

Just looked and there’s only 2 audio tracks and both say English... don’t remember it being 50/50 though. Will have to make sure I watch it over the weekend now.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe you can in fact stream all of Monogatari, except for Koyomimonogatari (which I don't remember being essential to the main story). Going on memory, Bakemonogatari is on funimation only, and all the rest are on Crunchyroll, but I stand to be corrected (just thinking now I wonder if one of the Nekomonogataris may be missing and those are integral to the story).

I wouldn't have watched magical girl anime previously but saw Madoka as the first one based on the reviews, dark subject matter and subversion of the genre. Still loved it despite some spoilers

So basically I'd suggest both may be worth giving a chance despite your reservations, especially if you like your anime with psychological thriller/horror elements.

I finished Ascendance of a Bookworm. I am a bit of a sucker for isekai.

Sadly this didn't quite live up to my expectations, I'd sit it somewhere between something like Overlord, Tanya, Villainess at the higher end, and that stupid smartphone one at the bottom end. Overall: 6.5/10.

Not great, not terrible. There were pros and cons in the story, but the biggest downside was actually in the art quality for me. It looks very average, especially for it's age. I feel like it's a budgetary thing, but it would have been an easy 7 or 7.5 if the art was better.

The remaining points I can't give it beyond that would be down to the quality of the story and how events unfold.

B the beginning Succession: Well that was bad why is it only 6 eps, it’s dumb it’s not interesting it’s dull and ends poorly. Thank god I didn’t buy ALs S1 set.
4/10

Dang it, I hate to hear that as I loved Season 1 and was really pumped for a second season. And only 6 episodes? That is really lame, why even make a half-hearted effort like that? :mad:

Is that on Netflix like the first Season?

Dang it, I hate to hear that as I loved Season 1 and was really pumped for a second season. And only 6 episodes? That is really lame, why even make a half-hearted effort like that? :mad:

Is that on Netflix like the first Season?
Yeah its on Netflix. Can't help but feel they've only shoved half a season on.

I remember loving Darker than Black and was so excited for Season 2 and it was awful.. I don't even have season 1 anymore coz it totally put me off.

Attack on Titan - Season 1 (Re-watch) - 8/10

Re-watched this as I never got round to S2, so will be watching the rest (S2-4) over the coming weeks.

This was a tough one to rate for me. Going into the last 3 eps I started writing this and had settled on a (high) 7 but the end of something can always make it or break it and I thought the end was pretty good so I bumped it to an 8. I felt the pacing of the show was great for 10 episodes and really liked this along with that awesome opening (it's very rare for me to like one), then we got 2-3 really slow ones which dramatically slowed the pace and I found myself drifting watching those eps but it did recover and the remaining eps were enjoyable as I said above it ended rather well too.

On the animation (coz this is why I got into anime). I felt Witt Studio did a great job as well as the Director.. I would love to see them get Berserk… they even used still shots really well (it’s a perfect combination 😁). The character designs were great and the 2D stuff was animated really nicely. On the 3D scenes I really liked for the most part that they were short and they’d cut away quickly to another shot. Where they used 3D backgrounds (buildings/trees) they were whizzing by so fast you hardly had time to look at them, which i think is the perfect way to do it. Some of the shots of the horses didn’t look as good but I noticed they kept their distance and didn’t show you anything up close. All round clever moves. Did I say I wanted them to get a Berserk 😂

Fave character has to be Levi… what a cool guy.. I love me a cool character

Overall I enjoyed it and looking forward to (a shorter) season 2

Yeah its on Netflix. Can't help but feel they've only shoved half a season on.

I remember loving Darker than Black and was so excited for Season 2 and it was awful.. I don't even have season 1 anymore coz it totally put me off.
Well hopefully there's more to B coming yet, then...

Eh, I showed Darker than Black to my neighbors a year or two ago,. The only thing I didn't care for in the second season was the stupid Magical Girl transformation scene in every episode, how totally lame and out of place that was. Other than that I thought it was a decent season.

Attack on Titan - Season 1 (Re-watch) - 8/10

Re-watched this as I never got round to S2, so will be watching the rest (S2-4) over the coming weeks.

This was a tough one to rate for me. Going into the last 3 eps I started writing this and had settled on a (high) 7 but the end of something can always make it or break it and I thought the end was pretty good so I bumped it to an 8. I felt the pacing of the show was great for 10 episodes and really liked this along with that awesome opening (it's very rare for me to like one), then we got 2-3 really slow ones which dramatically slowed the pace and I found myself drifting watching those eps but it did recover and the remaining eps were enjoyable as I said above it ended rather well too.

On the animation (coz this is why I got into anime). I felt Witt Studio did a great job as well as the Director.. I would love to see them get Berserk… they even used still shots really well (it’s a perfect combination 😁). The character designs were great and the 2D stuff was animated really nicely. On the 3D scenes I really liked for the most part that they were short and they’d cut away quickly to another shot. Where they used 3D backgrounds (buildings/trees) they were whizzing by so fast you hardly had time to look at them, which i think is the perfect way to do it. Some of the shots of the horses didn’t look as good but I noticed they kept their distance and didn’t show you anything up close. All round clever moves. Did I say I wanted them to get a Berserk 😂

Fave character has to be Levi… what a cool guy.. I love me a cool character

Overall I enjoyed it and looking forward to (a shorter) season 2
Sadly I think Studio WIT would still run into a lot of issues with Berserk. What you saw with AOT Season 1 was likely the Blu-ray version which improves on a lot of animation errors present in the TV broadcast and the character designer even put out a request for more animators as show progressed. Season 2 ended it's run with the final episode needing 4 episode directors, 3 chief animation directors and 9 animation directors because the schedule was that dire. Poor scheduling is a major problem at Studio WIT while they may be in a better position than GEMBA/Millepensee I dread to think about how WIT could melt under pressure.

I hate to be pessimistic but it'd be a miracle to get a schedule healthy enough and under great enough leadership to handle a series like Berserk.

I hate to be pessimistic but it'd be a miracle to get a schedule healthy enough and under great enough leadership to handle a series like Berserk.
Yeah I’ve got tbh... I don’t think we are ever gonna get Berserk the way we want it... not from any studio.. u need a Billionaire to just pump money into and give the studio the time they need... that’s never gonna happen... unless I somehow become a billionaire 🤣

Yeah I’ve got tbh... I don’t think we are ever gonna get Berserk the way we want it... not from any studio.. u need a Billionaire to just pump money into and give the studio the time they need... that’s never gonna happen... unless I somehow become a billionaire 🤣

I've never seen the Berserk manga, but I understand even today its not complete. Should someone want to adapt it, they'd have to do an anime original ending.

I've seen season 1 of the Berserk 1997 anime, but I can see why they didn't do more of it at the time, no end in sight.

Back