Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Lutga said:
I think cousins is pretty taboo in the UK, but from what I've read, it's apparently less of an issue in Japan.

I read an interesting article debating exactly this in regards to anime the other day, and it went with an interesting line of discussion saying that incest is only taboo because that attitude has become the societal norm - not because there's any inherent 'wrongness' to it, and compared it to how attitudes to other societal issues have varied vastly between now and say, 100 years in the past. But obviously everyone has their own view on the matter.
As a side effect of the kind of subjects that turn up in anime, I'd say I've seen a lot more about it than I would have in the past. As you say, it's generally going to be more of a society issue than a practical one. As I understand it, the main problem with an incestuous relationship is the lack of variety in genes so if you've got a brother and sister with the same defective gene then it'll almost certainly be the same in their children. Of course, that only applies to breeding rather than to relationships in general. I suppose there can also be issues where the family relationship also gives one participant in the incestuous relationship some kind of power/control (certainly if we were talking about parent/child relationships).

I do find it interesting when we try to separate the emotional reactions to certain subjects from the more practical realities.

Deno Coil

Excellent science fiction anime set in a town where pretty much everyone wears AR glasses but strange creatures known as illegals kerp being spotted and old space Keeps appearing where it shouldn't. The kids start investigating these phenomenons to find out what's going on.

world building is superb and when the plot gets going it doesn't stop until the end. The last 8 episodes are all just finale building.

Some good filler episodes in the first half, a really likeable cast of characters (and pets) and an excellent conclusion that pretty much answers everything and ties it all up. Great animation and imo some beautiful design work.

Show deserves to be seen by more people.

8.5/10

Lots more watched this week:

Maria Watches Over Us (seasons 1 - 3) - 9/10

I'd been wanting to watch this for ages, after seeing it ranked so high on ANN (plus the fact it's a shoujo ai series, and I loved those elements in the recent Sound Euphonium) and I certainly wasn't disappointed. While it never really goes down the full yuri route with the exception of one girl, that saves it in a way from cheap titilation and instead allows for a beautiful, elegiac build of the central couple across the spread of the seasons. In many ways, it's this space to breath that gives this show such charm - everything moves at such a stately pace, and you come to cherish those little moments of devotion between the characters as they slowly open up to each-other. And really, it's the characters that utterly make this show - all the cast is incredible well developed, even the bit parts like the girls on the school newspaper and photography club.

It helps that the show is utterly beautiful to look at too - I love how the colours are all very earthy and subdued, delicate pastel shades and all. It fits with how prim and proper everything is supposed to be. Also, you've got to love Yumi's facial expressions - I love how they make her eyes so large and round in contrast to the other girls. Man, I could go on and on about this show - it's one where the joy is absolutely in the detail. But yeah, as a character piece, there's very little that manages to rival this.

Aria The Animation (season 1) - 9/10

Without a doubt one of the most soothing, relaxing shows I've ever seen. The soundtrack is incredible, as are the visuals - despite what is in essence quite limited animation from an action standpoint. You just want to soak up the world the show is set in, and bathe in the all round 'niceness' of the cast and there random little daily foibles. Some episodes are definitely better than others, but when this show is firing on all cylinders, it's damn near perfect. I like to think of it as capturing that tone of those 'golden moments' in life that you can never really appreciate at the time, but always look back on fondly and with nostalgia.

Knights of Sidonia (season 1) - 8.5 / 10

For the most part, I absolutely loved this - and totally realise why it made so much sense as a Netflix show too, as it absolutely nails that 'just one more episode' vibe. Its properly addictive viewing, propelled on by some jaw-dropping action scenes and a sense of direction that felt oddly 'Western' at times - with some episodes I almost forgot I was watching an anime and it felt far closer to the likes of Star Trek or something like that in terms of the general feel of the show. Which brings us to the CG I suppose - generally I thought it was really good, and I definitely can't imagine how they would have animated the fight scenes without it - and in terms of characters, it wasn't as bad as a I thought it'd be, and in many ways I definitely felt like I could identify individual characters more than I could in the manga. That said, I felt in certain scenes (usually where characters were static and just talking) the movements seemed a little off at times, and I felt like I was watching an episode of RWBY or some other slightly jerky web animation. It wasn't awful, just enough to break my immersion.

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions (season 1) 7.5 / 10

I have to admit, I found this really quite disappointing - probably because I set my hopes too high going in to it. I love pretty much every KyoAni thing I've seen, but this felt very workmanlike and without particular flair, both visually and in terms of everything else. The overall premise is interesting, but becomes tiring after just one episode, and I found myself hating most of the characters - this bunch of hyper-active, attention starved brats that reminded me all too well of people that I used to know at school and college.

Before watching it, I thought the show would take one of two approaches - either go down a whole societal issues Eden of the East type thing and dissect the issue in a semi-serious manner, or go full on waterworks and wring all the emotion out of you like Clannad. And sadly it was neither - I felt things finally started getting good in the final third of the show as the main girl rejects her chunibyo and tries to be normal for a while but it's swiftly resolved and we return to the status quo.

I definitely appreciated what the show was trying to do, and it certainly sold itself well on that in that it gave a very convincing portrait of what it meant to have chunibyo and to observe it from both sides of the equation - but I just felt it could have gone so much deeper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Michiko and Hatchin

I guess I enjoyed most of the show but the last two episodes were quite disappointing (as was the ending itself) and it certainly feels like the show had a lot of wasted potential. Overall it was quite a good show but it really could have been great.

There are a few particularly strong episodes throughout the show and there are some nice character stories. Hatchin focussed episodes tended to be the best, perhaps because she had the most development (or maybe just because she was pretty consistently great). The stories of some of the side characters weren't bad either, I did quite like Atsuko's development and Satoshi had his moments. There's a story later in the series where Michiko is challenged by an old assassin, it's a pretty good story but for some reason it's never fully resolved (it's possible there's an implied resolution but it's not clear enough and I could just have been guessing).

I'd say the biggest weakness is that the show spends a lot of time being about Michiko or about Hatchin but very little being about Michiko and Hatchin. It clearly wants to be about both, there are too many little scenes implying that this was the point but somehow it forgot to actually see that through in the majority of the episodes. One of the best episodes is about another pair who have some similarities to Michiko and Hatchin, it's fairly early in the show and it seems that after that they gradually forgot to actually include both in stories going forward.

There are some other issues too. I think it was a mistake to have Michiko escape from prison at the beginning because it rarely affects episodes and when it does it tends to be for the worse. If she'd simply been released it would have worked much better and given the story the freedom to take it's time (which it does anyway) without having to worry about dealing with the pursuit storyline (which it does poorly). The need to wrap up the pursuit story is probably one of the biggest factors in how poor the last couple of episodes are.

It wasn't really a problem until the end but why was Michiko in jail for over 11 years anyway? That's a long time, especially since it seems the majority of her crimes were minor and she seems to avoid killing people. It's kind of implied she was betrayed/framed for something but they never really give much information. The lack of explanation for why Michiko was wanted significantly undermines the entire "pursuit" storyline. I think it could have worked much better if she'd just been released and Atsuko was following her to try and catch her out in a world where crime is almost an inevitable way of life (and Michiko isn't the best at avoiding it either).

I think the ending itself could almost have worked if they'd framed it completely differently. The build up to it ends up undermining it significantly and it just feels disappointing and meaningless. At the beginning of Episode 21 there's a dream sequence and I think I'll consider that my "canon" ending. It would have worked much better and basically captures everything the show should be about in one moment. I expect the ending will work for some people but I got caught up in the details that never really made sense and that kind of ruined it for me (it might have been fine if the show itself hadn't been highlighting those details).

I did find the ending frustrating but I don't know if it was bad enough to completely undermine what went before so I think it's overall still quite a good show. I do think it had a lot more potential throughout though, it could have been a great show. Still, as a "journey, not destination" show it's not too bad (and probably would have been much better if it hadn't tried to add the "destination" part).

Lutga said:
Maria Watches Over Us (seasons 1 - 3) - 9/10
I need to get around to watching this, it sounds like it could be about as good as Aoi Hana/Sweet Blue Flowers but longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
From The New World

Something rather special. I bought this on a whim and it ended up being one of the best shows I have watched in a long time. Looked beautiful with some amazing music especially the use of "new world".

Great story that is split into three distinctive parts with excellent build up to the finale that is well done and fitting to the path the show and its characters followed.

9/10

britguy said:
From The New World

Something rather special. I bought this on a whim and it ended up being one of the best shows I have watched in a long time. Looked beautiful with some amazing music especially the use of "new world".

Great story that is split into three distinctive parts with excellent build up to the finale that is well done and fitting to the path the show and its characters followed.

9/10

Wished it carried on a bit to

I have to admit I loved the yuri elements in From The New World too, just because they didn't really seem to hold anything back and just presented it as 'normal'.

Also, if you read the manga version, oh boy...

Lutga said:
I have to admit I loved the yuri elements in From The New World too, just because they didn't really seem to hold anything back and just presented it as 'normal'.

Also, if you read the manga version, oh boy...

Whao

Yeah I like that they kept it like a normal thing too.... It's in a new age where it's 100% ok

I wish we could of had a bit more on the rats tho like we had 5 more episodes on them or something

See season 1 had more entertaining story lines but I appreciate season 2 more with the far more artistic direction. Obviously some of the arty bits weren't to my tastes but some really where. Also the climax was amazing.

I can appreciate art but if it's boring then it does absolutely nothing for me. I ended up giving both 8/10 but if I had to pick a season it would definitely be 1. That being said, the episode with the multiple Dandys from different timelines and stuff in Season 2 is the best episode out of the whole bunch.

I'd say I probably enjoyed the second season more, although both are great. Season 2 just seemed more consistent to me, with probably only a couple of dud episodes at most.

Fei fei

Cgi with small stories that seems they was trying to be artsy

5/10

Malice doll.

O_O talk about bat **** insane.... Ok the cgi looks terrible and the story I couldn't get.... but I like how weird it is and horrific it is its so bad it's good.

7/10

Digimon movie... I saw this when I tried to get in to digimon but I couldn't .. this movie is 3 episode movie mixed in to one ... the animation seemed it was trying to look like a movie but it didn't feel like it was trying to be because of how the eps are different from one another.

7/10

Alice

bad cgi the story has plot holes... It's a bit of a mess

5/10

animefreak17 said:
Tokyo Babylon.... reminds me of x but with no ending

7/10

I've not seen Tokyo Babylon yet but it features characters from X, it's a prequel to their story that you see the conclusion of in X (the anime at least, don't know about the Manga)

Puppet princess

This is like ninja scrolls... but with puppets... It's tries to be cutesy.too.

I like this OVA.. Ok it's short but it was entertaining ..... kokuro eat.Your heart out

Back