PlayStation 2 Games Available on PS4 Thread (aka PS2 on PS4)

New Addition (Update) | Available Starting 6th December

Jak II: Renegade
Jak 3
Jak X: Combat Racing

Revealed a long time ago, the three remaining Jak games are now heading to PlayStation 4 starting 6th December 2017, Sony have confirmed. There will also be a bundle available so that you can download all four Jak games at once. The trailer above seems to imply that there might be a boost in quality for PlayStation 4 Pro users.

In addition Sony, Naughty Dog and independent developer Truant Pixel have developed a special dynamic theme for PS4. This theme is based on the PlayStation 2 interface including the music, font and design. It will be available on December 6th for $2.99.

Recap

Since it has been a while that we had an update on the PS2 on PS4 catalogue, here's a list of titles that have been rated but are not yet been made available for the service:
  • Alter Echo
  • Ape Escape 3
  • Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
  • The King of Fighters '98: Ultimate Match
  • The King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga
  • Legaia 2: Duel Saga
  • Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
  • Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition
  • MX vs. ATV Unleashed
  • MX vs. ATV Untamed
  • Panzer Elite Action: Fields of Glory
  • Splashdown: Rides Gone Wild
  • Stuntman: Ignition
  • Summoner
  • Summoner 2

Oooo that PS2 theme is way too tempting.

Still a shame that there has been such a small amount of titles for this service. So many titles that should be on the service but aren't.

Exactly. There's a lot of smaller titles that and JRPG's that are really expensive these days and i would love to see them getting ports on the PS4. Something like Rule Of Rose might not actually be that great but i would like to give it a try but i'm not paying 100+ euros for it.

I read somewhere that the reason a lot of developers struggle to bring titles onto the PS4 is because of the Trophy support requirement.

New Addition | Available Now!

PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT9_530941.jpg

The King of Fighters 1998 Ultimate Match
Rated a very long time ago by SNK, another fighter from the big catalogue of SNK games is now available on the service. The prices are £11.99 and $14.99.

These prices are quite high IMO. They should never go beyond $10. Are you kidding me? There are so many great indies that cost the same as the old games. I'm not saying they arent worth but at the same time, charging so much for such an old game.. Oh well there are always sales anyway.

(wtf was this about lol)

These prices are quite high IMO. They should never go beyond $10. Are you kidding me? There are so many great indies that cost the same as the old games. I'm not saying they arent worth but at the same time, charging so much for such an old game.. Oh well there are always sales anyway.

(wtf was this about lol)

I don't blame you to be honest, these prices should be much lower. Then again Nintendo have done worse with their prices (the imports were fine though).

The only excuse Sony has for the prices being high are Trophy support, up-res to ~1080p and some tweaks to the framerate. Either way I'll still stick with the US versions for 60Hz support.

Just looking back over this thread, as the PS2 was a point of considerable discussion when I was gearing up to launch my gaming content on Youtube.

I really, honestly do believe that the prices for some of these games are a bit high, all things considered. It's debatably justifiable when you consider the benefits of gaining access to them in HD (the PS2 cleans up rather poorly when connected to a modern TV, even when using component cables) and the rare nature of some of the games.

I actually went to the lengths of nabbing an old fat PS2 and doing the whole freeMCboot + network adapter and hard drive thing. (Just to pre-empt any concerns, I'm quite happy to mention that here as it's not an illegal mod, and I'm strictly using it to back up only the games for the PS2 that I actually own on disc.) So that's how I'm getting my preferred PS2 fix for now.

Just a consideration, though: if folks feel that the prices for PS2 games on the Sony online store are too high, TELL THEM. There's a review section where you can add comments under each item. It may seem like a futile gesture, or a wailing into the wind, but I think comments DO get listened to.

Last edited:
I know it's a PS3 remaster, but talking of price Burnout Paradise is £35 both digitally and the physical copy I saw in my store at work (just checked Amazon £30). I loved it (10 years ago!) and want to support it so we might actually get a new city to play in, but that's a bit steep, I was expecting maybe £20, but EA I guess!

I know it's a PS3 remaster, but talking of price Burnout Paradise is £35 both digitally and the physical copy I saw in my store at work (just checked Amazon £30). I loved it (10 years ago!) and want to support it so we might actually get a new city to play in, but that's a bit steep, I was expecting maybe £20, but EA I guess!

Give it 2 months and you should have a 50% like with almost all remasters. I want to get this as it was so much fun last gen but I will for a price drop that's for sure. Not to mention the backlog of new games at the moment... so no rush.

New Addition | Available Now!

PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT1_533321.jpg

The King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga
Another SNK title rated a very long time ago is now available on the service. The prices are £11.99 and $14.99.

Such a shame Sony didn't push this service. It'd be incredible if they just opened it up and gave us full PS2 disc based emulation.

Such a shame Sony didn't push this service. It'd be incredible if they just opened it up and gave us full PS2 disc based emulation.
If the PS4 was compatible with PS2 and PS3 discs it'd be amazing, however I feel that with each iteration Sony care less and less about BC. It's a shame because the PlayStation family has an incredible line up of classics.

Hi all, can anyone tell me which of any of these games are definitely the pal 50hz versions with frame rate issues or are the ntsc 60hz versions?

Red faction 1
Primal
Art of fighting anthology
Fatal fury: battle archives 2
All 4 jack and daxter games

I appreciate any answer Thank you.

Back