Physical Copy Vs. Digital

I'm not a fan of streaming at all, I buy all the anime I like on Blu-ray. I'm on my 4th media shelf for storing anime, and I've pretty much relegated all my live-action movie Blu-rays to DVD storage boxes in a closet. I only have subscriptions to Netflix and Crunchyroll as far as streaming goes, and I don't use either very often - mainly to preview a series to see if I want to buy it on disc when it comes out. And I never touch the digital codes in any of my anime or live-action films.

Physical all the way for me. It’s just a shame Netflix, and amazon and now even CR don’t release all their shows physical. Konosuba where are you, Bungo film so I’m slowly coming to terms with not getting physical for everything. Just thank god Discotek exists to get stuff like Symphogear and Battery.

I have quite a few JP sets in my collection that are not English friendly, I just don't relish the effort to add subs to them that are timed properly. I have an Oppo Blu-ray player, and I think you can add subs on the fly by putting a flash drive with the files in the front USB port, but I haven't researched or tried that yet.

I stream most things but then buy whatever I want to live on my shelf. I'll still take a chance on a blind-buy every now and then but mostly just get the ones I want to keep like Zombie Land Saga when that comes out.

Anime

I prefer to buy physical but watch a lot streamed. Idea of buying digital Anime/Films/TV doesn't appeal to me

Manga

Again, Physical Manga wins. I do own a few volumes of digital manga and will consider buying more.

My main issue with digital Manga is censorship, Manga Box is a great example of a service that had some great simulcast Manga made unreadable by missing pages and black boxes

Another reason why I avoid digital manga is what happened with JManga. People purchased a product, company goes under and everyone looses their manga

I love physical discs but digital is ok-as long as it's on a local hdd connected to my media player. Streaming is something I have no interest in.

Last edited:
Rise zombie thread rise

I’m thinking this is the most appropriate thread but would it be worth getting digital copies of claymore?

my iPad is bigger than the physical copies, but from samples I don’t see that much difference

I've heard that the bluray set of Claymore was a crappy upscale so it's quite possible the digitial copies might be as good.

I've heard that the bluray set of Claymore was a crappy upscale so it's quite possible the digitial copies might be as good.
I was talking about the manga, possibly kindle versions. I'm actually quite happy with the bluray series though, I've seen worse efforts to upscale

You want a really crappy upscale? Take a look at the blurays for Last Exile, the dvd set I have looks better.

Last edited:
The dvd for hiebane renmei looks really muddy, and the upscale for Elfen leid in particular is among the worst I've seen for that, it's only ever really meant to be in 480p, but I was watching the first 2 eps of Claymore, my own blurays, and that still looks pretty good to me, maybe that's just me though

As far as I'm talking about digital manga though, a few could look worse in a larger format (ipad versions of tankobon, for example) I read through DeadMan wonderland on ipad and I didn't really notice anything bad, there are only ever a few frames that look awful

The art in Elfen lied's manga though is just like the anime, an upscale there would just show more of the faults the mangaka left in

Even if they stopped releasing physical releases, I wouldn't buy digital. I'd get it by other means. Digital is a terrible for so many reasons. Lower quality, lack of extras, they can edit content on the fly whenever a SJW or BLM issue comes up. Also people like to display things. It may be books, ornaments, figures or what have you. For me it's my physical collection. It's my own blockbuster store with none of the late return fees.

Even if they stopped releasing physical releases, I wouldn't buy digital. I'd get it by other means. Digital is a terrible for so many reasons. Lower quality, lack of extras, they can edit content on the fly whenever a SJW or BLM issue comes up. Also people like to display things. It may be books, ornaments, figures or what have you. For me it's my physical collection. It's my own blockbuster store with none of the late return fees.
I wouldn’t throw the labels in but I get the point. Whatever society finds convenient at the time anything that can be edited will be for it.

You do lose extras, perhaps they could or are trying to make more money doing that, look at DLC for games, as for quality, that’s streaming, that depends entirely on whose streaming it, the quality they want to show vs bandwidth and the end user’s infrastructure. Some platforms are terrible though, I had to patch & parrot Progressive & Alternative for FLCL as I couldn’t stand Adult Swim’s player, it’s awful

I personally don’t mind both, but I’ll always prefer watching actual physical anime series sets on Blu-ray compared to online streaming/simulcasting just that little bit more as it’s what I’m much more used to doing ^^

Digital (if you have in local storage) isn't bad, it certainly takes up almost no storage space but physical media is the best simply because it satisfies a collectors desire to have something to display.

Last edited:
Digital (if you have in local storage) isn't bad, it certainly takes up almost no storage space but phyiscal media is the best simply because it satisfies a collectors desire to have something to display.
There is one big advantage that physical media has above most legal streaming services. The physical media is uncut while the streaming version is always edited down for TV.

Back