[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

Re: Overseas Anime News & Announcements

I'm also going to unreasonably hope for a Miss Machiko set announcement even though it's barely been on Crunchyroll for a week.

R

PA Works 15th Anniversary exhibit at Anime Expo.

Hints that 1st cour of Kuromukuro will be up on Netflix soon.

Overseas News: Discotek AnimeNEXT Panel

First Discotek announcement - Demon Lord Dante
  • This release will be uncut/uncensored/unaltered
  • The Discotek version will be using the home video masters compared to Geneon's release which used the TV masters.
  • This is the 2002 TV series. Also known as Maou Dante.
  • Going to be with the dub and sub, but the screen won't be obscured like the original release.
Discotek is working on hammering details on some more Sunrise titles.

Discotek have released Arpeggio of Blue Steel (BD & DVD Combo, Sub).
"DVD and blu-ray packs are not costing that much more at all since DVDs are very cheap to manufacture."

Second announcement - Jungle Emperor Leo will be released as a BD & DVD Combo later this year.

Discotek will continue to add more episodes of Miss Machiko onto streaming services like Crunchyroll. If it does well streaming wise a physical release may happen.
Interesting fact: Mad Bull 34 was never released on DVD in Japan. Discotek Media is the first along with France.

Golgo 13 will be coming to Blu-ray. ETA August.
  • Not to be confused with the TV version Sentai Filmworks put out.
  • To be exact this is Golgo 13: The Professional.

Third announcement - Discotek Media have acquired the live-action Go Nagai series - Star Fleet
  • Original title X-Bomber, coming out in 2017. 25 episodes.
  • They are waiting on materials for a Japanese version. They are not sure if they can do a Japanese version of Star Fleet but if they can and get everything they will.

Discotek have confirmed that supporting titles like the first Cardcaptor Sakura movie will help bring over more titles like them.

Lupin updates:
  • Lupin III: Alcatraz Connection from 2001. First "new" TV special release since Episode 0. Sub only.
  • Lupin III: Voyage to Danger. First Funi rescue. BD & DVD Combo. Dub & Sub.
  • Lupin III Part II. All 155 episodes across 4 tentative sets. Dub included when available (first 80~ eps).
  • Lupin III Part II Miyazaki dubbed episodes will also be included (+ original Streamline dub).

Street Fighter II: The Movie
  • Set for Sept/October.
  • Extras include test animations made specifically for animators.
  • Documentary, made by Discotek is included on the disk with Michael Toole narration talking about the complications of the release.
  • All audio versions included even one with English dialogue and Japanese soundtrack never done before.

Interesting facts about Discotek's Night on the Galactic Railroad release:
  • Japanese version was 1080i. Justin Sevakis said it wasn't good enough so they got the 1080p version.
  • Central Park Media release had incorrect dub line. Now corrected by Crispin Freeman.

"The DVD of Locke the Superman in Japan was a crappy letterbox. Widescreen master was found in Europe so a better version could be made."

"Magic Knight Rayearth included a dub produced from Sega made for selling to international audiences."
"They are hoping to get Rayearth out this year but so many extras have been pushing the release back."
^This is coming to Blu-ray in Dub & Sub.

Hi☆sCoool! SeHa Girls series is set for Fall 2016. Sega is very involved. BD & DVD Combo, Sub.

Sonic X update.
  • They were working on trying to make it a bilingual release but video wouldn't sync up (blame 4Kids).
  • Release will be dub only as a result.
  • A sub only release will be made if there's demand for one.

Fourth announcement - Black Jack 1996 film will be released as a BD & DVD Combo.

Strike the Blood
  • Blu-ray confirmed.
  • OVAs are separate license. Likely be coming at a later point.

Fifth announcement - True Tears licensed by Discotek. Set for release in around 2 months time. Presumably coming to Blu-ray.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Going to be honest, not even heard of a single one of the new titles announced. Will look into them though!

true tears was PA Works first anime. One of Mari Okada's earlier titles as Series Composition as well. Some say the wrong girl won though.

Demon Lord Dante is notable in that Geneon spent so much getting it they needed to sell 30,000 units just to break-even on it. 36:00 in this ANNCast May Discotek not suffer as much, they probably paid a sane price for it.

Yet the Discotek release will be better. Poor Geneon, the wild days of releases like that must have hurt.

I am looking forward to the steady flow of classic Lupin III most, I think.

R

Funimation have confirmed their release of Escaflowne will have the original dub included in all releases.

Here's their disc format:

idbdzID.png

NormanicGrav said:
Funimation have confirmed their release of Escaflowne will have the original dub included in all releases.

Here's their disc format:

idbdzID.png

Looks like AL could be sharing FUNi discs then... Sadly

IncendiaryLemon said:
I don't think them sharing Funi's discs is a bad thing is it?
Justin Sevakis was doing ALs and he is really good at encoding but I've been discussing with someone else and they think that FUNi may be sharing ALs discs which would be cool as I want Justin Sevakis' encodes.

thedoctor2016 said:
IncendiaryLemon said:
Justin Sevakis was doing ALs and he is really good at encoding but I've been discussing with someone else and they think that FUNi may be sharing ALs discs which would be cool as I want Justin Sevakis' encodes.

I mean, if both US and UK get this good encode, it can only be a good thing right? You totally just went against your own point :p

IncendiaryLemon said:
thedoctor2016 said:
IncendiaryLemon said:

I mean, if both US and UK get this good encode, it can only be a good thing right? You totally just went against your own point :p

Yes because someone said they may be using ALs encodes which is what I wanted.

thedoctor2016 said:
I'd be cautiously optimistic as I don't know when Justin did the encodes for Escaflowne. Usually his stuff is really good, but there's a few titles from a certain period with incorrect colours (Love Live, Momo, Rokka etc.) and recently one flat out awful encode (Lupin III Jigen's Gravestone). Apparently the colour issue has been fixed since, but I have no idea what happened with Lupin. I haven't seen any of his encodes since to compare but I'm gonna assume that was just a hiccup or down to bad materials to work with. I'd highly doubt Funi are working with Anime Limited on this one anyway as I was under the impression they had Justin work things so that all three dubs were in transport stream.

Back