[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

So wait, they released the series across single volumes before even rating it by the BBFC?

I think the first run of Volume 3 was pressed, labels printed and packaged up before the BBFC announced their rating (you know how long it takes for ratings to appear their website), and for a small company, pulping that run would have been cost prohibitive. Besides, how many anime fans are going to complain about that scene? Given there's no blatant sex, or violence, any non-anime fan watching it by accident isn't going to equate an attempt at suicide as a red flag BBFC issue.

Kaze just didn't even bother when it came to Code Geass and its 1 frame cut, and it looks like neither will Manga. Someone has to either complain to the BBFC about an infringement, or the BBFC have to watch the retail version of everything they classify. Can anyone recall a prosecution for the UK retail release of an unclassified movie or TV show?

It would be a fine I assume. It’s also a point of principle if these companies can get away with breaking the law I don’t like that. I really doubt it would get recut like if you wanted to be really lazy they could just get that one episode re classified but nope it’s instead F it. It’s morally wrong imo also this is not me saying the BBFC is good, I don’t think it should be legally mandated for example.

Last edited:
This is probably a coincidence, but the BBFC cut to Paranoia Agent came more or less the same time as the UK DVD release of The Ren & Stimpy Show facing a cut from the BBFC. To be exact, they cut out the song "The Lord Loves a Hangin'" as, in the BBFC's words, “Cut required to remove a sequence in which the subject of hanging is presented as comedic, fun and risk free, on the grounds of potential harm to the likely audience and in accordance with the Video Recordings Act 1984.”. With the cut, it was passed with a PG certificate.

It was unknown if they would've gotten away with keeping the song intact if passed with a higher certificate.

@thedoctor2016 I'd put more stock in the law if the law in this case seemed to have any measure of sense behind it. But...
It was unknown if they would've gotten away with keeping the song intact if passed with a higher certificate.
The daft thing about Paranoia Agent was that it was already an 18, meaning they didn't think the cut scene was suitable even for adults to view, something I find totally ridiculous. The idea that anyone should be able to prevent adults from viewing fiction is just stupid levels of censorship.

I can't recall if the scene in question was in the episode when I watched on Viewster (I have seen it because I looked it up last time this was discussed), but I'm pretty sure Funimation will have no trouble in the stream version as that part of the business is based elsewhere.
I've seen scenes in shows that would be most likely be banned under the "won't someone please think of the 2D children" act on Crunchyroll and Funimation.

Did you get the first print run? I think the first release of the series was uncut, but subsequent releases, when it went to collection form were cut. Certainly the check discs were uncut (the same thing happened with Battle Girls Time Paradox).
I think the first run of Volume 3 was pressed, labels printed and packaged up before the BBFC announced their rating (you know how long it takes for ratings to appear their website), and for a small company, pulping that run would have been cost prohibitive. Besides, how many anime fans are going to complain about that scene? Given there's no blatant sex, or violence, any non-anime fan watching it by accident isn't going to equate an attempt at suicide as a red flag BBFC issue.

Kaze just didn't even bother when it came to Code Geass and its 1 frame cut, and it looks like neither will Manga. Someone has to either complain to the BBFC about an infringement, or the BBFC have to watch the retail version of everything they classify. Can anyone recall a prosecution for the UK retail release of an unclassified movie or TV show?
Warner have released titles with out going through the bbfc like the Steven segle boxset that I have.

@thedoctor2016 I'd put more stock in the law if the law in this case seemed to have any measure of sense behind it. But...

The daft thing about Paranoia Agent was that it was already an 18, meaning they didn't think the cut scene was suitable even for adults to view, something I find totally ridiculous. The idea that anyone should be able to prevent adults from viewing fiction is just stupid levels of censorship.
It’s the thing companies can tax dodge for example but if I did it you’d be caught it’s one rule for corporations and another for someone else. It’s not like FUNi Can’t afford BBFC. AL it’s expensive also MVM. FUNi/manga is owned by Sony they have money coming out of their ears in comparison.
Also we live in a world edgy shows do better than good shows Goblin Slayer so what do I know anymore (Bar a lack of love of animeanymore)

It’s the thing companies can tax dodge for example but if I did it you’d be caught it’s one rule for corporations and another for someone else. It’s not like FUNi Can’t afford BBFC. AL it’s expensive also MVM. FUNi/manga is owned by Sony they have money coming out of their ears in comparison
If the money companies paid to the BBFC actually went into the general tax pot to pay for positive things for society I could perhaps see the argument, but it doesn’t. It goes to the BBFC to pay for running the BBFC. It’s not a tax, it’s a charge for their mandatory services.

The problem is thats probably the best solution because the government funded it would "GOVERNMENT CENSORSHIP" Not like thats not occurring rn anyway. Making businesses fund it is the only way I can see. They shouldn't force cuts it automatically go 18 imo but its popular the BBFC will never die its popular its easy guide for people.
I just don't care because i will import it and have the uncut version its not hard, its like you have to do that to have most shows these days so I dont see what moaning about the BBFC will change

My issue is why is manga licensing rubbish, I've said it. Rubbish rubbish rubbish

Last edited:
I've seen scenes in shows that would be most likely be banned under the "won't someone please think of the 2D children" act on Crunchyroll and Funimation.
Is We Without Wings still streaming on Funimation? I couldn't get through the first episode of that with the four-year-old wandering round flashing her knickers :(

I guess this isn't coming out here then, no sign yet!
Also, having actually read the tweet now, the statement "streaming for the first time ever" is wrong as, like I said I saw it on Viewster. Usual US company bollocks of talking about the US only without realising the rest of the world can read it as well!

But MVM has it here so of course its not gonna stream here.
Erm, except it did, but Viewster have gone, haven't they? If it wasn't coming here why were we bothering to discuss the British rating?
Also MVM publish plenty of stuff that's on streaming sites.
We've only ever had the DVDs, I think?Maybe we'll get Blu-rays now. I guess Manga/Funi will have to buy the rights?

FUNimation aren’t going to stream it I meant. Also with the censorship I doubt FUNi will risk that either. As it’s still in print I think MVM still have it so in theory could use FUNi’s discs but would have to cut it so I doubt it will happen.
It is still possible as we don’t know if MVM have streaming rights but I’m not getting my hopes up tbh.

Last edited:
Back