[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

DbknKm-X0AAmej7.jpg

Sentai Filmworks August 2018 Release Slate revealed.

Notes:
  • 2 limited edition releases.

and people didn't believe me when I said NGNL0 could get a PE.

Must of been some pretty silly people, this was a 100% certain PE/CE/LE. The issue at hand was how long we would have to wait for it.

Armed Girl's Machiavellism LE? Huh? Is this a matter of Sentai having to meet a LE quota or something? :|

Feels like it, while I don't stream but I do surf forums and various youtube vids and I can't say I've seen the name come up.

Funimation have announced they no longer have the rights to Detective Conan (Case Closed) and Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple series. Both of these are TMS Entertainment titles. The DVDs for these should still be around for now so grab them if you can.

Ah, I just bought all three DVD sets ( Episodes 1-50) of Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple from a member on another forum less than a month ago for $30, so good timing on that... Never got into Detective Conan.

Digimon Adventures Geman Blu-ray release SD-HD Comparison:

Any of those video quality savvy people. Is that still the rumoured crap HD from the Japanese Toei release? In the video it does look a little bit better than the SD.

Last edited:
^ It looks awful in my opinion and I'm pretty damn sure it's the Toei upscale.

I mean yes the original SD materials don't look too hot but the HD version is very much a Q-Tec type upscale. It's all in the line detail and the HD version looks just so smeared. This is the sort of upscale achieved pretty much solely by blowing up the picture to 1080p and noise reduction, very little other work is done to achieve this effect. I can make any SD show look like that in VirtualDub in just a few clicks.

The better choice for shows like this is sourcing the best quality masters they can find and releasing them as SD-BD's, which maximizes bitrates to pretty much mirror the source materials 1:1.

Upscales like Digimon has here are pretty much serving people who see Blu Ray and just assume it must mean better. Same people who don't look at what Viz did to Sailor Moon and barf basically.

Oh, what exactly did Viz do to Sailor Moon? I've heard that many savvy people seem to go for the AUS because it's better, not much more than that.

What Didn't they do? lol.

They destroyed it. Used Digital Noise Reduction on the series to within in an inch of it's life, removing every bit of texture in the series and all fine detail either turned into a smeary mess or just straight up erased! At least the early releases (I haven't kept up) also included a ton of ghosting and heavy artifacting. They also color graded the show to, in their own words, best match the original intended look of the series and to say they ****** that up too would be an understatement.

In my opinion the Viz Media TV BDs (and DVDs since they downscaled those in all their eternal wisdom) are the most disappointing releases an Anime company in the West has ever produced.

Left is the JPN DVD and Right is the Viz Media BD.

AuBBZWZ.jpg

^ The Rain droplets are completely lost in the Viz version, as is all the finer detail on the light reflections on the path. Add to that the blurry look of everything and yeah the Viz release was and still is (apart from the 'R' Movie) a complete Train Wreck.

Yeah the Viz sets are pretty bad, I replaced my copy of the first season with the Madman release and intend to do the same with R, and just import their releases. Madman are using Japanese assets for their sets, and from what I've seen of the quality so far it's an improvement for sure.

It just took them 4 years since Nisemonogatari (and of course it happens just when I decided to go for the AoA editions), but Dybex France finally seems to be releasing the subsequent installments of the Monogatari franchise down to Owarimonogatari season 1 (per release order) almost all at once.
Planning des sorties DVD Anime 2018/7

Though they do that in a combo, so I suspect it's this unhandy A4 collector's edition like how Bakemono and nisemono got released first. So another year of waiting until the normal sized edition comes around.
Well, at least it'll be a great deal less pricy than the AoA's.

It just took them 4 years since Nisemonogatari (and of course it happens just when I decided to go for the AoA editions), but Dybex France finally seems to be releasing the subsequent installments of the Monogatari franchise down to Owarimonogatari season 1 (per release order) almost all at once.
Planning des sorties DVD Anime 2018/7

Though they do that in a combo, so I suspect it's this unhandy A4 collector's edition like how Bakemono and nisemono got released first. So another year of waiting until the normal sized edition comes around.
Well, at least it'll be a great deal less pricy than the AoA's.

First : It's not Dybex Fance, it's Dybex Belgium.
2nd : No it will not be a A4 format it will be standart BD size.

First : It's not Dybex Fance, it's Dybex Belgium.
2nd : No it will not be a A4 format it will be standart BD size.
Oh. I never knew it wasn't France.

Not A4 is nice. Are there any other details out already as to what package they have?

Back