[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

Space Runaway Ideon actually has been licensed, it'll be released under Maiden Japan alongside Blue Gale Xabungle.

Oh wow wow wow wow wowwwww! That is incredible news, thanks for letting me know as I don’t know how it passed me by before. Any word on a Blu-Ray release? It really deserves the kind of bells and whistles CE / UE release that Anime Limited do, but there’s been sadly no indication that they’re interested in it.

Oh wow wow wow wow wowwwww! That is incredible news, thanks for letting me know as I don’t know how it passed me by before. Any word on a Blu-Ray release? It really deserves the kind of bells and whistles CE / UE release that Anime Limited do, but there’s been sadly no indication that they’re interested in it.

It's streaming only right now. I would sincerely hope it comes out eventually but the Sentai/Section 23 side of things haven't been very good at getting Sunrise to give them materials for releases so we could be in for a long wait.

It's streaming only right now. I would sincerely hope it comes out eventually but the Sentai/Section 23 side of things haven't been very good at getting Sunrise to give them materials for releases so we could be in for a long wait.

*falls back to Earth*

Well, it's something at least. The Blu-Ray has been out in Japan for over 5 years now, so surely enough of a time lag...

Da7tuvpXUAIPQR9.jpg

Funimation July 2018 Release Slate revealed.

Notes:
  • 2 limited edition releases.
  • I Am A Hero Japanese live-action film is also part of the release slate.

I’ll be getting Saiyuki. Already have the Japanese release of SBY 2199 but depending on what’s in Funi’s LE I might double dip. Looks like a step closer for 2202 getting a physical release as well, I was bummed out that the Japanese release didn’t have English subtitles like the first.

I really don't get why Smartphone has an LE when loads of better/more popular shows don't. Also, why is it split into 2 parts?

Edit: I'm guessing it's just a mistake that it's 2 parts?

There's always one error in each monthly blogpost slate lol.

Anywho I've tweaked it a bit with the following changes:
  • Ai Tenchi Muyo! is SRP $49.98. I initially had it as ??? as I knew it was a short series so I didn't know what price range it was until TRSI got it up.
  • In Another World With My Smartphone has more added info including LE details and on-disc extras.
  • Twin Star Exorcists is actually SRP $54.98 per part. The Collector's Box will be SRP $64.98.

I've been long awaiting Alice and Zoroku to come out on home video, I adored it when it was streaming, I'll certainly be giving that an import. It kind of flew under the radar, so I'm assuming a UK release is off the table, but if it's picked up here before release, I'll just wait.

A Centaur's Life was very good so I'll keep an eye on that one, also Interview with Monster Girls from a previous slate. Shame they're only standards but that seems to be the way of most SoL (Slice of animal-hybrid and monster life?) series' put out my Funi and Crunchyroll nowadays.

Last edited:
Not seeing anything that's a 100% buy. I feel like I might of picked up smartphone in the past if I hadn't heard so many mediocre things about it. Also when did Tenchi become so utterly bland and generic?

D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-DISCOTEK DAY

The following are set for June 26th 2018:
  • Bananya - Blu-ray - English & Japanese with English subtitles. English dub done by Mike Toole.
  • Eat Man & Eat Man 98 - SD on Blu-ray - Japanese with English subtitles. All 24 episodes. English dub included for the episodes that got the dub.
  • Haruka Nogizaka's Secret - Blu-ray - Japanese with English subtitles. All 12 episodes.
  • Haruka Nogizaka's Secret: Purezza - Blu-ray - Japanese with English subtitles. All 12 episodes.
  • Like the Clouds, Like the Wind (Kumo no You ni Kaze no You ni) - DVD - Japanese with English subtitles. 1990 film from studio Pierrot with Studio Ghibli's character designer Katsuya Kondo.
  • Lupin the Third: Bye Bye Lady Liberty - Blu-ray - English & Japanese with English subtitles.
  • Lupin the Third Part IV: The Italian Adventure [English Dub Version] - DVD - English i.e. the Toonami/Italian Broadcast Version. All 24 episodes & 2 OVAs.
  • Sister Princess - Blu-ray - English & Japanese with English subtitles. All 26 episodes.
  • Sister Princess Re Pure - Blu-ray - Japanese with English subtitles. All 13 episodes.
  • Space Warrior Baldios the Movie - DVD - English & Japanese with English subtitles (Sevakis recut the International Version and restored the audio for this release)

Great to see the first Lupin Special come to Blu, I hope the commentary from Mike Toole carried over too.

Totally buying Bananya just for the Mike Toole Dub.

I saw the first 5 episodes of Haruka Nogizaki's Secret a number of years ago, basically about a girl at some posh school that keeps her Otaku hobbies hidden before confiding in some boy. It was fine I guess, always was bemused that it had never been lincensed.

Sister Princess is not a series I expected Discotek Media to get, not sure why but yeah. Doubt I'll ever want to own the series but I checked out the BD quality out of curiosity given the vintage of the show. Season One was a 2001 show and the JPN BD looks fine I suppose for an upscale, nothing about it is overly offensive in the VQ department. If you have the Angelic Layer BD set then that seems to be the level of quality. No noise added which is a shame as I believe it actually improves the quality, certainly worked for Eureka Seven and Scrapped Princess.

Sister Princess Re Pure seems to be less acceptable for VQ on Blu though. The series is presented in Widescreen which despite being a 2001 show I believe is it's original Aspect Ratio making it one of the earlier shows to support the format. Ultimately though the VQ is really soft here. Line Detail is pretty lacking, nothing pops at all.

Pretty lukewarm month for Discotek Media imo. I mean 4 complete unannounced series on BD is pretty great but neither franchise is something I'm dying to own personally. Will probably get Eat Man on SD-BD though so thats cool.

Back