[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

Still need to get FOTNS actually, it's still cool how they managed to get such a large series into a standard Blu ray case sized collection.

All in favour of SD on BD here, if it makes it more economical to release older shows for which SD is as good as it will ever look. I imagine the extra space on BDs would also allow for less compression, so even SD should look at least somewhat better.

Indeed as the complete dvd set is a monstrosity.
Yeah it's quite grim to look at.
All in favour of SD on BD here, if it makes it more economical to release older shows for which SD is as good as it will ever look. I imagine the extra space on BDs would also allow for less compression, so even SD should look at least somewhat better.
This is exactly my viewpoint, it makes more sense to use one to three Blu Rays as opposed ten or more dvds. A lot of longer running anime would benefit from such a release. Seeing as it's doubtful that One Piece would get a Blu Ray for the older episodes SDBD would be a great way of making collecting the series seem less daunting.

If you're going to put SD on BD, you might as well upscale it. That way you at least have the option of a progressive transfer, as for some daft reason, you can't encode SD material on BD progressively (at least I haven't seen it done). And Kaze/Sentai have shown that you can squeeze 12 or 13 episodes on a dual layer Blu-ray, and if they are SD upscales, getting HD pin-sharp quality isn't a goal. Heck Warners released Lethal Weapon Season 1, a full HD show on 3 discs, 6 'hour' long episodes per disc, plus extras.

DWGfkcMX0AEIudn.jpg

Crunchyroll x Funimation May 2018 Release Slate revealed.

Notes:
  • No subtitled only releases.
  • No limited edition versions available.

Just as I predicted, Funimation have officially confirmed Re:ZERO for a Summer 2018 release with an English dub. Cast list coming soon.

News revealed at Katsucon.

I look forward to Anime Limited announcing the delay for their release.

TBH I was surprised AL had even announced a release date/window given Funimation hadn't. They have to piggyback off their dub release so announcing it is kinda a spoiler that Funimations set will be out at the same time or more than likely before. In fact I knew AL's would be delayed based solely on the fact Funimation hadn't put it in their release slate yet.

Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex (Blu-ray) (7-Disc) (Normal Special Edition) (English Subtitled) (Korea Version)
https://www.yesasia.com/us/ghost-in-...0-en/info.html

Ghost In The Shell S.A.C 2ND GIG (Blu-ray) (7-Disc) (Normal Special Edition) (English Subtitled) (Korea Version)
https://www.yesasia.com/us/ghost-in-...0-en/info.html

Thank you for the tip about these sets, I ended up ordering from Kimchi as even with postage added it was cheaper. It is somewhat weird that I didn't get an e-mail about ordering or that it was shipped, but the sets arrived On Friday (and without customs :) )

Back