[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

BlackCondor93

Completely Average High School Student
The Amazon description lists it with

· TV version 24 episodes
· unpublished episode " Police maneuver of rampant」 "
· 23 episode modified" Missing link on the boundary "
·" Movie version STEINS; Deja Vu in GATE load area "

It does not mention the OVA sequel episode tho.
The "unpublished episode" listed is the OVA. They just mistranslated the episode title "Egoistic Poriomania" as "Police maneuver of rampant".

NormanicGrav

And you thought there is never a Grav online
Discotek Media have started a poll on their Facebook page asking fans if they would like to see longer running TV shows released exclusively on SD on BD rather than DVDs from here on. This is a pretty interesting point as they stated that it means a cheaper release, less discs, less space on the shelf, better quality subtitles, and BDs being more durable than DVDs.

The only downside to this is pretty much that games consoles (specifically the PlayStation 4) currently have an issue running SD on BD discs which causes the episodes to stutter a lot. This is because Sony never really programmed the console to support it properly but there has been some patches to try and make it work.

Anywho I was initially against this at first years ago but I have began to accept the idea as it makes titles like Fist of the North Star more reasonable to acquire since it's less space and cheaper. Currently Samurai Pizza Cats, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and the upcoming release of Cyborg 009: The Cyborg Soldier are the only SD on BD titles to date.

Looks like classic series SDBD is winning. I personally really like the idea, since as Discotek stated it means less dvds and therefore less space being taken up by a series.
I think DVD will have to have phased out eventually, so this is a good place to start.

All in favour of SD on BD here, if it makes it more economical to release older shows for which SD is as good as it will ever look. I imagine the extra space on BDs would also allow for less compression, so even SD should look at least somewhat better.

Indeed as the complete dvd set is a monstrosity.
Yeah it's quite grim to look at.
All in favour of SD on BD here, if it makes it more economical to release older shows for which SD is as good as it will ever look. I imagine the extra space on BDs would also allow for less compression, so even SD should look at least somewhat better.
This is exactly my viewpoint, it makes more sense to use one to three Blu Rays as opposed ten or more dvds. A lot of longer running anime would benefit from such a release. Seeing as it's doubtful that One Piece would get a Blu Ray for the older episodes SDBD would be a great way of making collecting the series seem less daunting.

If you're going to put SD on BD, you might as well upscale it. That way you at least have the option of a progressive transfer, as for some daft reason, you can't encode SD material on BD progressively (at least I haven't seen it done). And Kaze/Sentai have shown that you can squeeze 12 or 13 episodes on a dual layer Blu-ray, and if they are SD upscales, getting HD pin-sharp quality isn't a goal. Heck Warners released Lethal Weapon Season 1, a full HD show on 3 discs, 6 'hour' long episodes per disc, plus extras.