[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

ilmaestro said:
Rui said:
Man it's annoying when companies do premium releases of things I already bought from them.
Eden of the East? I did wonder why that was coming out now. I guess this is the first time they've sold the TV series and the movies in the same package?

Yeah, it's certainly not the end of the world (and I really like the art on the 'singles') but I do get a little jealous of all the pretty new rereleases. I hope some people who missed it before will give it a go this time around.

Not much reason to complain with this selection though, it's been a better batch than most FUNi solicitations in recent memory!

R

Agree on all counts, there. I think the initial hype around Eden of the East lead to some inevitable "this isn't the best show ever so it sucks!!" backlash, but I've enjoyed it on multiple viewings.

I really like Eden of the East. Actually pretty glad to see it's getting a new release, specially in the 'everything in on box' format.

The ridiculously long overdue Ladies vs Butlers Blu-ray is finally available from Media Blasters over on Rightstuf.

While I do like the English dub for the show based on the previews alone (while the Dub should be on Crunchyroll for the US), there is one problem that must be addressed.

It's possible that the Blu-ray discs are BD-R, which is not good for anyone.

What's worse is that from now on, all new and previous Media Blaster titles are DVD-R including their older stock.

NormanicGrav said:

What's worse is that from now on, all new and previous Media Blaster titles are DVD-R including their older stock.

Yeah - this really needs to be confirmed. I will say, though, that I'm firmly of the opinion that anybody putting out entertainment media in this fashion simply doesn't have a place in the market. I consider Media Blasters releases non-existent since I leaned about the DVD-R nonsense.

Raising the issue on their Facebook page, I was told 'nobody buys home video releases for the media they're burned onto. What you pay for is the transfer.'

AND THAT'S ********. I pay for a product in the hope that I'll be able to enjoy it for years to come. And however much Media Blasters may protest and say 'our DVD-Rs are better than anyone else's', it seems that every attempt to supply media on that format anyone else has made has been plagued with problems.

There's a model for people who want to consume home video releases and aren't fussed about being able to watch it again later on. And that's called rental. Anything else is unacceptable.

NormanicGrav said:
The ridiculously long overdue Ladies vs Butlers Blu-ray is finally available from Media Blasters over on Rightstuf.

While I do like the English dub for the show based on the previews alone (while the Dub should be on Crunchyroll for the US), there is one problem that must be addressed.

I'm not going to buy anything that's printed on an off the shelf BD-R, but it will be hilarious if they do since some players - most notably the XBone - won't play burned discs. It flat out refuses to play them.

Mangaranga said:
NormanicGrav said:

I'm not going to buy anything that's printed on an off the shelf BD-R, but it will be hilarious if they do since some players - most notably the XBone - won't play burned discs. It flat out refuses to play them.

Some folks on Fandom Post have already confirmed that their DVD-R sets don't work with some players. Oops. :lol:

IncendiaryLemon said:
Out of curiosity, what makes BD-R discs worse than what standard discs other companies use? Do they just deteriorate faster? I assume they're cheaper to produce.

The pressings are generally of lower quality, so Amazon's On Demand system in the US (mostly DVDs) had huge problems with discs not being burned correctly and screwing up as a result. If Amazon couldn't get it right, I very much doubt Media Blasters can.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Out of curiosity, what makes BD-R discs worse than what standard discs other companies use? Do they just deteriorate faster? I assume they're cheaper to produce.
They do deteriorate much faster and you also get a lot of coasters when buying off the shelf BDs.
I bought two packets of Verbatim discs a while back (5xBD50s and 5xBD25s) and two or three of them were coasters.

Ah right, I see why it's an issue then. Saving money doesn't really make much sense if doing this is going to render your product useless and thus losing out on customers. Either they're really ignorant or really dumb...

Buzz201 said:
The pressings are generally of lower quality, so Amazon's On Demand system in the US (mostly DVDs) had huge problems with discs not being burned correctly and screwing up as a result. If Amazon couldn't get it right, I very much doubt Media Blasters can.

That discussion over on FandomPost contains several sections where Justin Sevakis is quoted and gives his thoughts on the subject of DVD on demand. There's some very telling stuff in there.

My original Facebook post to MB even gets quoted by somebody over there.

HdE said:
Buzz201 said:

That discussion over on FandomPost contains several sections where Justin Sevakis is quoted and gives his thoughts on the subject of DVD on demand. There's some very telling stuff in there.

My original Facebook post to MB even gets quoted by somebody over there.

This is going to sound really stupid, but do you have a link? I've looked for the topic on Fandom Post, but I can't find the right one. :oops:

Buzz201 said:
I looked it up on Melonfarmers, seems it was a rape sequence. If it was cut for eroticising rape, then it probably would breach the OPA, but I don't think anything has actually been ruled to breach the OPA for a very long time.

Imagine the same would go for Wicked City falling foul of the OPA judging by that site, so probably best avoided for those thinking of importing it.

robot monkey said:
Imagine the same would go for Wicked City falling foul of the OPA judging by that site, so probably best avoided for those thinking of importing it.

I don't think they regularly enforce the OPA rule, and even when they do enforce it, they just confiscate and send you a letter. If people wanted a copy, there's no reason why they shouldn't try importing...

Sentai Filmworks have announced the home video rights to Tonari no Seki-kun: The Master of Killing Time.

sekieraser.png

Expect this title to be available in April 2016.

Section23 Films April 2016 Line-Up

Parasyte -the maxim- - Collection 1: Standard & Collector's Edition (Blu-ray, DVD and Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack)
Release Date: 5th April 2016
Language: English & Japanese (w/English Subs)
Retail Price: $59.98 (DVD), $69.98 (BD), $139.98 (CE)
Region: US|1
Extras: TBA

Sakura Wars (TV) - Complete Collection: Sentai Selects (DVD)
Retail Price: $29.98
Region: 1

Rail Wars - Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
Language: Japanese (w/English Subs)
Retail Price: $59.98
Region: US

Gugure! Kokkuri-san - Complete Collection (Blu-ray, DVD)
Release Date: 12th April 2016
Retail Price: $49.98 (DVD), $59.98 (BD)

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere - Complete Collection (Blu-ray, DVD)
Retail Price: $79.98 (DVD), $99.98 (BD)

Tonari no Seki-kun - Complete Collection (Blu-ray, DVD)
Retail Price: $39.98 (DVD), $49.98 (BD)

Princess Tutu - Complete Collection (DVD)
Release Date: 19th April 2016
Retail Price: $39.98 (DVD)
Region: 1

Yamishibai - Complete Collection (Blu-ray, DVD)
Release Date: 19th April 2016
Retail Price: $24.98 (DVD), $34.98 (BD)

Space Brothers - Collection 8 (Blu-ray, DVD)
Release Date: 26th April 2016
Retail Price: $49.98 (DVD), $59.98 (BD)

Back