[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

Lutga said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's an 'import' set, isn't it basically exactly the same as the Japanese discs?
Import sets are just the Japanese sets imported for sale locally in America. That's just the standard BD-Box that was released in Japan 10/07/13.
I'd say there's pretty much zero chance of a BD release in the UK/AU now considering the US release is an import and not a domestic release.

For anyone knocking the import price, as Grav said it's £172 from Amazon JP w/shipping and tax which equates to ~£21 per disc (w/films + shorts). Why you'd pay an extra £80 to order from TRSI is beyond me.

So, will the Japanese Blu-Ray discs work on a region b player? I am unsure as I have never imported from Japan and I would like the US import version of this set as it should come with an english translation booklet (based on what I've seen with AoA's other imports)

Mrclt1994 said:
So, will the Japanese Blu-Ray discs work on a region b player? I am unsure as I have never imported from Japan and I would like the US import version of this set as it should come with an english translation booklet (based on what I've seen with AoA's other imports)

Yes, Japanese Blu-ray discs (just Anime, not the live-action stuff) will work on Region B players. Other examples include 5 Centimeters per Second: Global Edition, Children Who Chase Lost Voices, Garden of Words, Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star, Oreimo, Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Beginnings/Eternal, Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebellion and more.

There won't be a translated booklet as the set is pretty much barebones, the mini-leaflet thing inside each case is just the technical specs for the films. If you're curious, I own this exact set (and so does Mangaranga).

^ok, brill - thanks. Will probs do as you say you had done in your earlier reply and purchase via Amazon JP in that case. Thanks for confirming

I wonder how much it'll be from united publications. This is my fav series so I am going to buy this boxset one day though (when I start working a summer job or something). It would be so cool having this alongside the MVM boxset. How where the import fees those who got it from amazon japan?

Since Amazon JP forces you to pay import with the item, you can see for yourself how much it would cost. I was also interested too so I'll post it here anyway :p

V7I6pS1.png

black1blade said:
I wonder how much it'll be from united publications. This is my fav series so I am going to buy this boxset one day though (when I start working a summer job or something). It would be so cool having this alongside the MVM boxset. How where the import fees those who got it from amazon japan?
If you were to buy it right now:
RXSwAhD.jpg

Breakdown is Item Cost, Shipping, then (Prepaid) VAT. Items from Amazon JP usually take 3/4 days to arrive from previous experience.

EDIT: Ninja'd by IncendiaryLemon :(

Yes. I like it better that way so you know exactly how much it's going to cost you in total instead of getting hit by a customs charge you're not prepared for and it also makes it so you don't have to pay ParcelForce a ridiculous fee. I also believe you get a partial refund of the Customs charge if they over estimate the cost.

Prepaid VAT is exactly as it sounds. Amazon includes it in the price and takes care of customs for you.
I have had one scenario before where they labelled the parcel incorrectly and had a phone call from DHL demanding payment, but a quick email to the English support on Amazon JP got things sorted. Turns out they didn't mark the parcel as VAT Pre-paid in error. Don't let that dissuade you though, it's only ever happened to me once and it's the sort of thing that can only happen to me.

That sounds really cool. £170-180 (with fluctuating conversion rates and all) is a really agreeable price. As I say I am probably going to save up once I've got a job. It's such a great series and it really deserves HD. I have heard rumours that it isn't too crisp on blu ray. Obviously it wasn't made at 1080p so what resolution do you reckon it was made at? Even if it was only made at 540p, the blu ray would still be worth it especially to get rid of the compression artefacts (banding especially). The bit with mikiya singing someday in the rain was edited in the MVM version because I assume madmen couldn't get the rights too.

black1blade said:
That sounds really cool. £170-180 (with fluctuating conversion rates and all) is a really agreeable price. As I say I am probably going to save up once I've got a job. It's such a great series and it really deserves HD. I have heard rumours that it isn't too crisp on blu ray. Obviously it wasn't made at 1080p so what resolution do you reckon it was made at? Even if it was only made at 540p, the blu ray would still be worth it especially to get rid of the compression artefacts (banding especially). The bit with mikiya singing someday in the rain was edited in the MVM version because I assume madmen couldn't get the rights too.

It's not private information, I've seen a figure for the resolution ufotable work at before. But I can't remember it, and I can't find it with a quick google.

(So this is probably the most stupid post ever... :oops:)

Edit: I've found figures for other studios from a fascinating looking 2011 blog. P.A. Works - apparently 1080p, Production I.G. - 540p, J.C. Staff - 1440x900. Posters from another forum put Bones at 540p and Shaft at 2048x1536. Other sources seem to indicate J.C. Staff and Shaft may now have gone 1080p.

Would this set be worth blind buying at that price or should I get the MVM DVDs first just to see if I like them? I just started a job so I can suddenly rake out for expensive sets now. Getting a Region A Blu Ray player would also factor into the price too but that's also a non issue as external drives aren't that expensive. I won't get my first pay cheque until the end of September for reasons so I have plenty of time to decide :p

This came from some randomers Facebook page
810p = Dogakobo, Sunrise and A-1 Pictures
855p = Ufotable
864p = Production IG
873p = DEEN
882p = Satellite
900p = Toei and JCSTAFF
955p = KyoAni
1080p = Any CGI anime

I'd be interested to know if the Doga Kobo figure is accurate, because the bits I saw of Plastic Memories looked really really soft at 1080p. I guess that must have been what they were going for.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Would this set be worth blind buying at that price or should I get the MVM DVDs first just to see if I like them? I just started a job so I can suddenly rake out for expensive sets now. Getting a Region A Blu Ray player would also factor into the price too but that's also a non issue as external drives aren't that expensive. I won't get my first pay cheque until the end of September for reasons so I have plenty of time to decide :p
The set was established as AB friendly by NormaicGrav on the last page. He posted a link to his blog on the set.

IncendiaryLemon said:

I blind bought the set when it set me back £208 (and then got £35 back months later), worth it. :thumb:

Buzz201 said:
The set was established as AB friendly by NormaicGrav on the last page. He posted a link to his blog on the set.

That's good to know. I'll still probably end up buying a Region A drive anyway :p

@NormanicGrav If you can spend over £200 on one set and have no regrets that's as solid as a recommendation as you can get haha

Back