[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

Re: [Overseas] US/Foreign Anime News & Announcements

Mangaranga said:
I'm sure all these titles will be flying off the shelves given the size of the packaging, price point and nature/quality of the shows...
I suppose it's a little early to say for Kuromukuro and Days but they all seem to be shows that do have some fans. Of course, that doesn't change the other issues that might put at least some of those fans off.

I do wonder how the "nature" of the shows could affect their sales though. Are they the kinds of shows that many fans would be willing to pay high prices for?

NormanicGrav said:
They'll be lost in the village with a samurai and a bunch of magical boys while also playing football.
I kind of wish this was an actual anime.

I've been looking through the thread and couldn't find any mention of the below, Its about a week old news now so if its duplicated I apologise:

Crunchyroll is excited to announce our entry into the home video market with the following upcoming English-dubbed Blu-Ray and DVD releases:
Berserk
Big Order
Free! Iwatobi Swim Club
Gintama
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
Myriad Colors Phantom World
Yamada-kun & the Seven Witches
And many more still to be announced!
We're still working out a lot of the details but we wanted to share some of our planned releases with you. More to come!

I'm really looking forward to getting Gintama after sentai stopped their release after only 4 volumes.

i just hope these won't be amarary only standard sets - some artboxes would be nice, especially for Yamada-kun as I really was fond of that show.

This seems to have been around about where it was discussed in the Anime Expo thread, if you're curious.

I'd be surprised if Free doesn't get at least a somewhat fancy release, since the second season has one. I'd have expected Gintama to be a good candidate too, they'll probably want some way to encourage people to pay more than standard prices for the sets unless it didn't cost them much to pick up. I suppose they could just be expecting the dub to do the trick in making sales though. Kabaneri could go either way really, it's a show that's likely to have wider appeal so it'd probably need a standard option but could possibly support a fancy option as well. Berserk would probably be in a similar situation. I wouldn't have too much confidence about particularly fancy releases of Big Order, Phantom World or Yamada-kun but you never know.

Smeelia said:
This seems to have been around about where it was discussed in the Anime Expo thread, if you're curious.

I'd be surprised if Free doesn't get at least a somewhat fancy release, since the second season has one. I'd have expected Gintama to be a good candidate too, they'll probably want some way to encourage people to pay more than standard prices for the sets unless it didn't cost them much to pick up. I suppose they could just be expecting the dub to do the trick in making sales though. Kabaneri could go either way really, it's a show that's likely to have wider appeal so it'd probably need a standard option but could possibly support a fancy option as well. Berserk would probably be in a similar situation. I wouldn't have too much confidence about particularly fancy releases of Big Order, Phantom World or Yamada-kun but you never know.

I can't see Gintama getting one. The first season alone has 201 episodes, and based on the Canadian dub information (to provide some context to that: when a show is dubbed in Canada, it can count as Canadian for TV quota purposes and everything considered Canadian is listed in a big database) it looks like no more than 51 episode sets. So that's at least 4 sets on season 1. Then Gintama' has 64 episodes (split 51/13) and Gintama°has 51 episode.

Assuming they can clear 50 episode sets for everything, that's probably 7 sets, which is a high number to expect people to buy over the course of 2/3 years. Then factor in that they're 50 episode sets and they've only just been dubbed, so they're probably going to cost well above the standard cost for American release.

Even if CR's minority part-owner TV Tokyo gave them "mates rates" it's still probably going to be difficult to make money. I think Crunchyroll would mad to screw around with CEs and inflate the price any further. I'd be surprised if Kabaneri and some of the more recent stuff didn't though.

Buzz201 said:
I can't see Gintama getting one. The first season alone has 201 episodes, and based on the Canadian dub information (to provide some context to that: when a show is dubbed in Canada, it can count as Canadian for TV quota purposes and everything considered Canadian is listed in a big database) it looks like no more than 51 episode sets. So that's at least 4 sets on season 1. Then Gintama' has 64 episodes (split 51/13) and Gintama°has 51 episode.

Assuming they can clear 50 episode sets for everything, that's probably 7 sets, which is a high number to expect people to buy over the course of 2/3 years. Then factor in that they're 50 episode sets and they've only just been dubbed, so they're probably going to cost well above the standard cost for American release.

Even if CR's minority part-owner TV Tokyo gave them "mates rates" it's still probably going to be difficult to make money. I think Crunchyroll would mad to screw around with CEs and inflate the price any further. I'd be surprised if Kabaneri and some of the more recent stuff didn't though.
My thinking is that they might try to include a booklet and/or nice box as part of those big sets in a way that wouldn't add too much to the price but would make buyers feel that they're getting a better deal and special release. As you say, the releases probably wouldn't be too cheap anyway and I'm not sure that they'd be expecting large numbers of sales, so they might want to try to encourage the biggest fans to pay a bit more for the sets.

I could be wrong though, if they're going to have a large number of episodes per set then the prices might not seem as bad to people anyway and with the dub they could be aiming at wider appeal.

Smeelia said:
My thinking is that they might try to include a booklet and/or nice box as part of those big sets in a way that wouldn't add too much to the price but would make buyers feel that they're getting a better deal and special release. As you say, the releases probably wouldn't be too cheap anyway and I'm not sure that they'd be expecting large numbers of sales, so they might want to try to encourage the biggest fans to pay a bit more for the sets.

I could be wrong though, if they're going to have a large number of episodes per set then the prices might not seem as bad to people anyway and with the dub they could be aiming at wider appeal.

Would it possible to do that in a way that wouldn't inflate the price but added value and didn't seem pointless? The only set I own that does that is my French Evangelion set (which was 15-20 EUR) and contains a weedy, mostly pointless factfile on various different elements of the franchise. I think increasing the price, by even just a few dollars more than necessary, would scare people off. So I'm not sure they'll do it, and if they do, I'm not sure it's a smart idea.

Buzz201 said:
Would it possible to do that in a way that wouldn't inflate the price but added value and didn't seem pointless? The only set I own that does that is my French Evangelion set (which was 15-20 EUR) and contains a weedy, mostly pointless factfile on various different elements of the franchise. I think increasing the price, by even just a few dollars more than necessary, would scare people off. So I'm not sure they'll do it, and if they do, I'm not sure it's a smart idea.
I suppose it might depend on what kind of assets they have access to and how much effort it could take to get approvals.

Something like what Anime Limited did for Gundam could work, a limited collection box (maybe by season) and possibly an extra booklet for at least one of the sets. Anime Limited did that without increasing the price for a set with a larger number of episodes than usual (though not as much as 50) and it seemed to work out for them to make those early sales. I guess anyone who has the collection box would also be more inclined to get all of the releases. I couldn't say if something like that would be practical for them, but it seems like it could be worthwhile if they could make it work.

It should be interesting to see what they do anyway, I do wonder what kind of customers they'll be targetting with their releases. I know that Gintama has some popularity but I don't know if it would sell in the same way as the standard long-running shounen action shows, they could well do something a bit different.

As mentioned on the Discord chat, Lucky Star's release from Funimation have extras split across the formats in a similar fashion to the Eureka Seven release (as both are upscales/non-HD shows; Eureka Seven's case was just the DVD disc covering the Voice Actor Interviews).

Both formats contain all 24 episodes and the OVA (the latter of which was never dubbed by Bandai).

Blu-ray
  • Lucky Racer: Checker Flag in Akihabara & Lucky Racer Hightlight
  • Radio Kansai's Public Recording of "New Lucky Channel"
  • On-Screen Text Reference Guide
  • US Trailers
  • Trailers

DVD
  • Textless Series Opening
  • Textless OVA Closing
  • On-Screen Text Reference Guide
  • US Trailers
  • Trailers
  • Key Scenes Gallery 1-12
  • Opening with Lyrics
  • Promo Clip
  • The Adventures of Minoru Shiraishi
  • English Voice Cast Interview 1-3.

Nozomi Entertainment have revealed that Victory Gundam is headed to DVD and Blu Ray in October. Reconguista In G is also slated for a similar release date Stateside.

I'm actually getting a little concerned now. I LOVE that these shows are getting released hand over fist... but my wallet just cannot keep up with them.

HdE said:
Nozomi Entertainment have revealed that Victory Gundam is headed to DVD and Blu Ray in October. Reconguista In G is also slated for a similar release date Stateside.

I'm actually getting a little concerned now. I LOVE that these shows are getting released hand over fist... but my wallet just cannot keep up with them.

Just wait for the UK release, that way things are more spread out, well it seems they will be.

HdE said:
If there is anything positive to arise from recent political turmoil, it is the fact we have a scapegoat for such an issue...

Re: Overseas Anime News & Announcements

Funimation October 2016 Slate

Already Confirmed titles:

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion - Season 1 Collection [Blu-ray] [DVD]
Release Date: 4th October
Regions: A|1 (formats separate)
SRP: $64.98 [Blu-ray], $54.98 [DVD]
Extras: Audio Commentary (1, 4, 5, 8, 11, 14, 19, 21), Picture Drama (1, 3.25, 4.33, 6.75, 8.75, 9.33, 9.75, 22.25, 23.95), U.S. Voice Actor Interviews: Johnny Yong Bosch, Yuri Lowenthal, Kate Higgins, Karen Strassman, Textless Opening Songs (COLORS Ver. 1, COLORS Ver. 2, Kaidokufunou, Hitomi no Tsubasa), Textless Closings Songs (COLORS, Yukyou Seishun Ka, Kaidokufunou, Mosaic Kakera Ver. 1, Mosaic Kakera Ver. 2), Trailers

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 - Season 2 Collection [Blu-ray] [DVD]
Regions: A|1 (formats separate)
SRP: $64.98 [Blu-ray], $54.98 [DVD]
Extras: Audio Commentary (1, 4, 6, 8, 12, 15, 19, 21, Final (Staff & Cast sides)), Picture Drama (0.923, 0.56, 7.19, 9.34, 12.59, 12.31, 19.02, 22.05, 25.01), Extra Flash: Baba Theater Redux Episodes 1-9, Broadcast Version of Next Turn (1-24), Textless Opening Songs (O2, WORLD END Ver. 1, WORLD END Ver. 2), Textless Closings Songs (Shiawase Neiro, Waga Routashi Aku no Hana Ver. 1, Waga Routashi Aku no Hana Ver. 2), U.S. Trailer, Trailers

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion - Seasons 1 & 2 Collection: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Regions: A
SRP: $139.98 [Blu-ray]
Extras: Season 1 Audio Commentary (1, 4, 5, 8, 11, 14, 19, 21), Season 2 Audio Commentary (1, 4, 6, 8, 12, 15, 19, 21, Final (Staff & Cast sides)), Season 1 Picture Drama (1, 3.25, 4.33, 6.75, 8.75, 9.33, 9.75, 22.25, 23.95), Season 2 Picture Drama (0.923, 0.56, 7.19, 9.34, 12.59, 12.31, 19.02, 22.05, 25.01), U.S. Voice Actor Interviews: Johnny Yong Bosch, Yuri Lowenthal, Kate Higgins, Karen Strassman, Textless Opening Songs, Textless Closings Songs, Extra Flash: Baba Theater Redux Episodes 1-9, Broadcast Version of Next Turn (1-24), U.S. Trailer and Trailers. CE also includes a couple artcards illustrated by CLAMP.

The Vision of Escaflowne - Part 1 [Blu-ray & DVD Combo]
Release Date: 18th October
Regions: A|B|1|4
SRP: $64.98
Extras: ???

The Vision of Escaflowne - Part 2 [Blu-ray & DVD Combo]
Regions: A|B|1|4
SRP: $54.98

The Vision of Escaflowne: The Movie [Blu-ray & DVD Combo]
Regions: A|1
SRP: $34.98

The Vision of Escaflowne - TV & Film Collection: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Regions: A|B (TV) A (Film)
SRP: $179.98 [Blu-ray]
Extras: Same extras as Parts 1 & 2 & Movie standard edition sets. CE also includes a Hardcover artbook, a pendant of sorts and a couple art-cards.

New titles:

Attack on Titan (Live-Action) Part 1 [Blu-ray & DVD Combo] [DVD]
SRP: $34.98 [Combo], $29.98 [DVD]
Extras (Blu-ray): Japanese Trailer Version 1, Japanese Trailer Version 2, U.S. Theatrical Trailer, Trailers
Extras (DVD): Trailers

Blood-C - Complete Series: S.A.V.E. Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo]
SRP: $29.98
Extras: Episode Commentary (6, 12), Original Commercials, Promotional Videos, Textless Songs, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

Blood-C: The Last Dark - Film: S.A.V.E. Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo]
SRP: $24.98
Extras: U.S. Actor & Staff Commentary, NoNeNoNe Theater Parts 1-6, Promotional Videos, Original Teaser, Original Trailer, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

In Search of the Lost Future - Complete Series [Blu-ray & DVD Combo] - Japanese with English subtitles only
Release Date: 25th October
Regions: A|B|1
SRP: $54.98
Extras: Textless Opening Song ''Le jour'', Textless Closing Song ''Ashita Mata Aeru Yo N''", US Trailer, Trailers

Jinsei: Life Consulting - Complete Series [Blu-ray & DVD Combo] - Japanese with English subtitles only
SRP: $49.98

Level E - Complete Series: S.A.V.E. Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo]
Release Date: 11th October
SRP: $29.98
Extras: Japanese Live Action Promo Video, Voice Actor Commentary for Select Episodes, Cast Interview.

Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine - Complete Series: Anime Classics [Blu-ray & DVD Combo]
SRP: $44.98
Extras: Episode 06 Commentary (Brina Palencia, Josh Grelle), Episode 09 Commentary (Christopher R. Sabat, Sonny Strait), Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine Cast Reunion (English 2.0), Fujiko Mine at OkraTron 5000 (English 2.0), Textless Opening Song, Textless Closing Song, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

One Piece - Collection 17: Episodes 397-421 [DVD]
Regions: 1
Extras: Episode 398 Commentary (398, 405, 412, 417), One Piece in the Booth: with Sonny Strait, A Day in the Life of Zzzzoro, Textless Opening Song - Share the World, Trailers

Strike Witches The Movie [Blu-ray & DVD Combo]
Extras: Original Theatrical Promotional Video, Blu-ray/DVD Promotional Video, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

Definitely interested in the Code Geass collector's set, a shame it's locked to A but what can ya do, I'm gonna have to invest in a new player sooner than later I guess. Could be interested in Escaflowne too, really depends when AL plan on releasing it.

Just going by the cover, I can tell Jinsei will be a show I'll love. Will definitely be picking that one up.

Back