[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

Yami said:
I'd rather have seen any of the other, harder to get, series that Miyazaki/Takahata were involved with but Lupin the Third Part Two is a nice announcement. Shame there's no decent HD masters.

The great thing about Discotek, though, is that you know they'll try to source the very best material they can for the release.

Honestly, I think the serious investment they're demonstrating in bringing Lupin III to the West is really amazing. I just wish I had the first clue where to start with the show and all its spin-off movies.

HdE said:
Yami said:
I'd rather have seen any of the other, harder to get, series that Miyazaki/Takahata were involved with but Lupin the Third Part Two is a nice announcement. Shame there's no decent HD masters.

The great thing about Discotek, though, is that you know they'll try to source the very best material they can for the release.

Honestly, I think the serious investment they're demonstrating in bringing Lupin III to the West is really amazing. I just wish I had the first clue where to start with the show and all its spin-off movies.

I started with Castle of Cagliostro as it's the most well known Lupin film. I soon followed with Mystery of Mamo, which to my surprise actually changed my impression of the show - I originally saw the Lupin franchise as family friendly when it's actually quite the opposite. But on another note the other films were similar in tone and are still fun to watch (Farewell to Nostradamus is my favourite non-Cagliostro Lupin film so far).

As for the show, start with Lupin the Third Part 1 it's 23 episodes long and its the start of the TV series. If you like VPNs, Crunchyroll has the entire catalogue of Lupin's TV episodes (Part 1-3) on there for US only (I wouldn't be surprised if they manage to get Part 4 added at some point).

Discotek's upcoming release of Magic Knight Rayearth is going smoothly.

CXDB9tjWcAEJHlY.jpg:large

CXDB9wtW8AATndp.jpg:large

CXDB9xdW8AATj1k.jpg:large

One of the special extras is an English dubbed pilot episode done by an alternate cast, they also did the opening in English.
Discotek Media
To recap: we'll be including the original English dubbed pilot episode of MAGIC KNIGHT RAYEARTH with our forthcoming release!
This little-seen episode features a few divergent elements, such as Hikaru, Umi, and Fuu being renamed Luce, Marina, and Anemone...!

Ashura (Discotek's Designer)
You might want to say it features a whole alternate cast (and theme song!) compared to the version everyone knows and loves!

Discotek Media
Yes, we might indeed say that! The theme song, in particular, is an amazing work of art.
Source via Twitter 2 3

The complete series (Seasons 1 & 2), known as the Memorial Collection, will be released on Blu-ray and DVD in one complete set for 2016. The series was licensed from TMS Entertainment. The Rayearth OVAs are a separate license which they don't have.

Sentai Filmworks have begun their licensing spree for the Winter 2016 season.

Their third title is Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation.

Source: ANN.

Sentai's Winter 2016 Licenses:
#01 | Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle (Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut)
#02 | Norn9: Norn+Nonet
#03 | Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation

Well this is ironic.

Media Blasters, the most broken anime distributor for the past few years, have apparently used 2 BD-50 discs for Ladies vs Butlers.

Let me repeat that:
2 BD-50 discs, 6 episodes per disc. Both apparently don't ever go below 30 Mbps.

k37UsRP.jpg

And the show is only $22 (~£15.18) on Rightstuf. Flippin hell.

NormanicGrav said:
Well this is ironic.

Media Blasters, the most broken anime distributor for the past few years, have apparently used 2 BD-50 discs for Ladies vs Butlers.

Let me repeat that:
2 BD-50 discs, 6 episodes per disc. Both apparently don't ever go below 30 Mbps.

I was not aware that was an uncommon occurrence? The way people talk, I thought anything with more than 6 episodes per disc was burned at the stake never to be seen again...

Buzz201 said:
NormanicGrav said:
Well this is ironic.

Let me repeat that:

I was not aware that was an uncommon occurrence? The way people talk, I thought anything with more than 6 episodes per disc was burned at the stake never to be seen again...
Holy ****. Media Blasters single handedly saving the quality of R1 releases ~Sarcasm~

In all seriousness though, outside of Aniplex I releases I barely own any titles which use 2xBD50s (and even then actually use the space to it's fullest). There's a few Sentai titles like Beyond the Boundary's CE and NGNL which use 2 BD50s but aren't encoded any differently and barely go over 25gb for disc 2. Actually, Viz's release of Accel World may well be the only title I own which fully meets that criteria (avg 6 eps per disc, 30mpbs, dual 24bit PCM audio streams), and even then it was compressed to 1 BD50 and 1 BD25 for Hanabee/MVM's release. Maybe Sevakis did LvB too - then again he did say on Twitter he wouldn't do work for them.

I'm interested to see how those discs stack up quality wise though since the numbers only tell half the story.

Re: Overseas Anime News & Announcements

I'm not the person to start the thread for region free discs, but Funimation's release of The Boy and the Beast is region A & B.

Mangaranga said:
I'm not the person to start the thread for region free discs, but Funimation's release of The Boy and the Beast is region A & B.
Speaking of, does anyone have all that data in spreadsheet form?

Shiroi Hane said:
Mangaranga said:
Speaking of, does anyone have all that data in spreadsheet form?

I managed to rescue the data via cache. Both the Blu-ray and DVD lists.

Back