[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

Jerome mentioned a hold back for School Live months back via his personal twitter, I don't remember the exact contents of his tweet but I do know he was clearly annoyed by it. I presumed it was a Blu hold back at the time & don't recall him explaining what it exactly was ..

Looking at that awesome (seriously Grav, thank you! I used to go through anilist and try to recall from memory what was left to be released from previous seasons, so that list is such a huge help!) "What's left" list gives me the assumption that we're seeing so many CE because bar Monster, Food Wars & maybe School Live, I don't see any of the others having a CE.
Do you by any chance have a Funi "what's left" list Grav? :)

I wonder what kind of figure is in the Himouto Collector's Edition, presumably it wouldnt be anything like the Umaru Nendoroid. I liked the show quite a bit but I think I'd be happy with the standard release.

Wandaba Style is an odd one for a new release, it's not a terrible show but I can't see it being particularly popular (I'm not sure it was popular even when it was previously released). I suppose it's interesting that the idea is kind of similar to some of the idol shows we see today (although I don't think the group in the show are technically idols), it could maybe be sold along those lines. Still, it's really just a fairly standard silly comedy and not one of the best.

First Rooster Teeth and now Shout Factory?, if Animatsu want to make deals with these US companies then I say go for it since it means more niche stuff out over here. I also noticed Shout Factory are releasing Miraculous Ladybug on DVD in the US. Considering how popular that show is I wonder if Animatsu might be looking into it (unless another company already has it over here)

Just a heads up, the Anchor Bay Blu-ray release of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is terrible:

GokuuSon (Blu-ray.com Forum) said:
I just got these sets in today and decided to actually check them out. I guess let's get the positives out of the way, since they're pretty short in this list. I'd like to say beforehand that I am reviewing the Japanese audio version of this release, as that is what I'll be watching. At least part of the issue, will not be prevalent to the English dub.

The video looks very good for the source material (I'm not an expert or anything, but it's good for my eyes). The Japanese audio track is also good, as expected at 5.1 surround.

Now for a bit of the negatives. Aside from the Anchor Bay logo, which should be the first sign of trouble, I noticed that the only "subtitle" track included on this release was English for the Deaf and Hearing Impaired. That is to say, there doesn't seem to be a true subtitle track, though I am watching through to see how badly it goes. You will also notice that there are no actual chapters for each episode, at least as I look at the first disc. A chapter skip will take you directly to the next episode, which seems extremely lazy to me.

The last small quirk, at least for me, is the Opening song lyrics. Although Origa sings in Russian for part of the song, you get the English SDH track telling me that it's "Japanese Singing". When she gets to the English lyrics, it actually provides us with the lyrics. Yet again, amazingly lazy on the part of Anchor Bay.

I may add on to this post as I discover more positives or negatives, but so far this release has been very disappointing to me. If anyone wants to add to this, please do so.

TL;DR
Positives:
Japanese 5.1 Track
Good video transfer

Negatives:
Anchor Bay
Only English SDH, no actual subtitles
No chapters within episodes
Very poor Opening lyrics translation
No extras on disc, besides the Tachikoma Days post episode minis

Edit:
The "subtitles" are definitely dubtitles, as I had feared, but they are not as terrible as some have been in the past. Also to note, besides the Tachikoma Days post episode minis, there are no extras on the discs at all.

I watched a part of the first episode in English, just to see how it sounded and how the "subtitles" matched to that version. Everything seemed copacetic beside one small issue where during the episode, the track switched to Japanese for two lines of dialogue and then back to English. I don't know if that will be a recurring issue, but something to look at for those who just want to watch the English dub.

Thanks for reading.
Basically we have a good Japanese 5.1 track and video quality but the rest is unacceptable. No proper subtitles, only English SDH (aka dubtitles). No chapter markers, for those who want to get back to the middle of the episode or repeat the OP/EDs. The lyrics were not translated properly. And there's no extras on the disc aside from the Tachikoma Days shorts.

So yeah, what's the point in the UK release now knowing they'll use the same discs.

Just a heads up, the Anchor Bay Blu-ray release of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is terrible:

Basically we have a good Japanese 5.1 track and video quality but the rest is unacceptable. No proper subtitles, only English SDH (aka dubtitles). No chapter markers, for those who want to get back to the middle of the episode or repeat the OP/EDs. The lyrics were not translated properly. And there's no extras on the disc aside from the Tachikoma Days shorts.

So yeah, what's the point in the UK release now knowing they'll use the same discs.

I was under the impression Manga were working with Anime Limited regarding authoring and costs as they have it in France?

Back