Other Good Horror Manga

Churchy99

Adventurer
Hi there all. Now back on the forums.

I'm a huge fan of the horror genre and recently have only been getting into some horror manga. Most notably Junji Ito's Uzumaki series which is utterly fantastic. Now I know there a lot of manga that are listed as being horror but I've never considered them to be so as they only have horror elements and don't creep me out/scare me like Uzumaki did (for example I wouldn't class Hellsing as a horror so much due to it's focus on action and even a bit of comedy in places).

So I thought instead of sifting through so called horror manga that isn't horror, I thought I'd ask anyone here if there are any really creepy and scary manga that are worth having a look at or that you know of. Something that will truly disturb as much as possible. I already know Ito's other work so anything else is more than welcome.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Also feel free to mention anime here as well.

The Higurashi manga works, it's mostly mystery but certainly has pleanty of shock value. Especially if you don't know the series.
Sure it has it's light parts, but when it gets gritty it gets realy gritty.

Reaper gI said:
The Higurashi manga works, it's mostly mystery but certainly has pleanty of shock value. Especially if you don't know the series.
Sure it has it's light parts, but when it gets gritty it gets realy gritty.

Although i love the higurashi manga to pieces i wouldn't classify it as soley horror, on saying that though i just love the whole "lull you into a false sense of security and then beat you over the head with suprise when the blood flows"

For horror manga though try the Drifting Classroom

BlackWolf said:
on saying that though i just love the whole "lull you into a false sense of security and then beat you over the head with suprise when the blood flows"

Although I asked for horror I do like that too. I guess that's why I love films like Audition!

Cheers guys. This is great as I now have a great starting point and I'm going to start reading/watching! If anyone still has any suggestions then they are still welcome!

Scary mangas, off the top of my head, er,
- Blue Sonnet (if you can get hold of it)
- Hellsing
- Mermaid Forest / Laughing Target
- Basilisk, the manga
- Koudelka, the manga

You could try some Hideshi Hino. I recommend Hell Baby as it's quite mental. :D There's also the Hino Horror series, but they're incredibly patchy from excellent to utter pants so only if you're taken with his stuff.

Tomie's pretty cool. (re-printed as Museum of Terror) It's just... bizarre. o_0;

Also not really horror, but I was creeped out in volume 2 of Children of the Sea. The whole thing's quite strange so might be worth a little look.

Goth - only 1 volume and has a couple of gross moments and nasty characters.

Dragon Head. Just one prolonged sequence of events that I wouldn't ever want to be involved with. More a thriller I guess, but it's really good.

I haven't read it yet, but if the manga version of Shiki is anything near as good as its anime counterpart, it will be worth reading.

Anything by Kazuo Umezu

Arm of Kannon is pretty freaky as is Leviathan. Gyo also

Biomeat : Nectar is an underrated horror gem imo

Thanks for even more suggestions guys - I've got a great list now which is awesome.

Otaku-san I just had a look at Mai-Chan's Daily Life (found an image) and it looks so damn insane I have to read it now!

The Enigma of Amigara Fault by Junji Ito

I read this on a warm Autumn day in a Network Technology room full of Cisco gear and I was chilled to the bone. I was feeling queasy a few days afterwards just thinking about it. It's the definition of claustrophobic.

Uzumaki by Ito, also Gyo & Tomie by the same author.
I haven't read The Enigma of Amigara Fault though so I'll have to check it out.
The Drifting Classroom by Kazuo Umezu is also a great horror/sci fi ish? series.

Even though I have certain dislike of live action media and preference for Anime/Manga. I always found live action a better outlet for horror. As I never found any horror Anime/Manga that actual scary.

But that beeing said, a horror series I recommend would be Parasyte. A very good twist on the alien taking over the human body story. If I ever had to chose at top ten Manga titles, that would be certainly one of them.

Back