Never Watched EVA

Jaymii

Baka Ranger
I've always wanted to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion but never got around to it. i want to watch the series before i go splashing £70 on the Platinum box set of EVA.

is there a good way to watch it; i know i really shouldn't be posting this. but does any video sites have it uploaded; or similar.

Rent it from an online DVD rental place. Won't cost much at all and you'll get a good impression of the first based on the first volume (which is 5 episodes I believe).

McIcy said:
I only had to watch the first episode to realise it wasn't worth £70..... sorry Eva fans but it sucks
First episode isn't even giving it a chance now is it. I mean Bleach fans say it takes something like 30 episodes to get into Bleach or something crazy.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
McIcy said:
I only had to watch the first episode to realise it wasn't worth £70..... sorry Eva fans but it sucks
First episode isn't even giving it a chance now is it. I mean Bleach fans say it takes something like 30 episodes to get into Bleach or something crazy.

I don't think i could personally watch a huge chunk of episodes just to 'get into' a series. Thats over 10 hours just to find out if you like something or not.

Never seen Bleach or EVA, but i will one day.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
McIcy said:

I agree.
Its pointless to judge an entire series on the first episode.
For instance MCIcy I know you like Naruto and the first episode is hardly a classic.
I say give EVA another chance.
I personally think it deserves all the credit levelled at it.
It really annoys me when people criticize EVA simply for not being able to fully understand it.Same goes for the likes of another genuine classic,LAIN.
Oh well thats how I feel and Im not blaming anyone for what they think,it just annoys me sometimes. :lol:

I didn't enjoy Eva for the mecha battles but for Shinji's character development throughout the run of the series. I think most people just watch it fro some rampant mecha action though which I don't deny it has a fair amount of but it wasn't the main attraction to me.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
I didn't enjoy Eva for the mecha battles but for Shinji's character devepment. I think most people just watch it fro some rampant mecha action though which I don't deny it has a fair amount of but it wasn't the main attraction to me.

Couldint agree more.
What sticks in my head about eva more than anything is not the mech battles but the sheer feeling of humanity from the charachters.
Probably more so than any other series.
For this at least eva desrves its accolades.

Outlawstar said:
What sticks in my head about eva more than anything is not the mech battles but the sheer feeling of humanity from the charachters.
I'd say there are only a handful of series that really capture real humans in the characters. Eva is certainly one of them. In my opinion though the level of interaction and emotional subtlety in Eva doesn't come close to what's portrayed in Haibane Renmei. To some extent I'd say the brotherly bond between Ed and Al is a good contender as well, that relationship was the strongest thing about FMA.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Outlawstar said:
I'd say there are only a handful of series that really capture real humans in the characters. Eva is certainly one of them. In my opinion though the level of interaction and emotional subtlety in Eva doesn't come close to what's portrayed in Habine Remei though.

Havint seen haibane yet but have always been a fan of Abe.
Im planning on buying boxset soon.Sounds good.
Cant wait to see it.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
I didn't enjoy Eva for the mecha battles but for Shinji's character development throughout the run of the series. I think most people just watch it fro some rampant mecha action though which I don't deny it has a fair amount of but it wasn't the main attraction to me.
He developed? He started out a whiny git and ended up the same whiny git in my opinion. Throughout the whole series he was nothing short of a wet fish without a backbone to speak of. The rest of the cast largely didn't fare better, either and it was filled with the kind of people I wouldn't want to associate with. One of my least favourite anime on many levels and the characters were a large part of that.

Well if that's all you got out of the series then you really missed out on something is all I can say. It was the subtle changes in his character throughout the series what made him so interesting and in that realistic as well. There was no magical fix to his problems, he had to work them out through his interaction with the other characters and his own personal exploration and the changes were there but they were gradual rather than being instantaneous.

Shinji is portrayed as a human character thrown into an inhuman situation and forced to make decisions that someone his age shouldn't have to make. How would anybody react in that situation? Probably not much different.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Well if that's all you got out of the series then you really missed out on something is all I can say. It was the subtle changes in his character throughout the series what made him so interesting and in that realistic as well. There was no magical fix to his problems, he had to work them out through his interaction with the other characters and his own personal exploration and the changes were there but they were gradual rather than being instantaneous.

Shinji is portrayed as a human character thrown into an inhuman situation and forced to make decisions that someone his age shouldn't have to make. How would anybody react in that situation? Probably not much different.

Pin point perfect.
Really couldint have said it better.

Eva is my all time fav series :D

The character development is among the best i have seen, sometimes I feel like Shinji, Confused and unsure of everything!

WTFDaveMustaine said:
McIcy said:

Nah I was into Bleach from ep 1

I dunno me personally i thought it was the best bleach episode the first 4.

But i'm always more a fan of animes in the begining.

Eva to me personally was great it had great emotional elements like shinji watching his best freind get killed.

Or him having to kill the one person who said he loved him

Plus it's one of the few animes where instead of him becoming this great hero from little whiny emo kid.

He just stays a whiny emo kid the whole way through :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back